j3 cub - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

j3 cub

Old 09-06-2018, 03:33 PM
stag

Default j3 cub

I am looking for a j3 cub 80inch ws that will be electric powered but don't know which one is best.

Hanger9
Great models
Sig

Anyone help please.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:50 PM
stearman65

Default Alternative Piper Cub

https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.ph...&area=Aircraft
https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.ph...&area=Aircraft
Old 11-04-2018, 03:32 AM
E-Challenged

I built the71" wsp Sig J-3 Cub. It's very old design, lots of balsa and ply parts, bags of hardware and plans that leave some details up to the builder. It's designed for .36 to .45 glow engines. Mounting an IC engine with muffler and requires some cutting up of the formed cowl and finding fuel tank that will fit the limited space behind the firewall. Building it as an electric powered model requires making the side door and window functional to provide access to a 4000 mah 3S or 4S lipo pack located with end at the instrument panel. I use two 2200mah lipo packs in parallel, held in a rack, side by side. Power is Cobra 3525/14 spinning a 12x6 APC thin E prop. It does loops and rolls, etc. cruising duration is about 9 minutes. The 1/6 scale kit does not come with a dummy engine, there are vacuum formed engines and a very scale engine available separately from other suppliers.

I would guess that the more modern Sig 1/5 and 1/4 scale J-3 kits are easier to build as either electric or IC powered models. Some prefer 4-stroke motor sound to quiet electric sound. Dummy engines are included. There are a number of similar sized Cub kits available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
may 2009 008.jpg (135.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Stick Dude

From what im learning, any kit is good, just choose one that fits your budget and the space you have to store it.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:37 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If you are not stuck on size ... have a look at the laser wood cut kit on Hobby King .... I built it and I see there is a newer version that I believe ironed out some of the faults in the original I have.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/j-3-lase...wl-kit-v2.html

or

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/piper-j3...-kit-only.html

Here's mine :

Yes she does fly slower than that !!

Nigel
Old 05-26-2019, 09:35 PM
E-Challenged

There are many Cub designs offered in kits to build or ARF models to assemble . Generally the ARF models are not as scale like as I prefer. Sig's 1/5 and 1/4th versions are larger than I like from a storage and transport standpoint. All large scale Cub models require some fiddling to mount wing and struts at the field and take down for the trip home. There is some advantage to separate wing panels vs single wing for storage . I like electric power for my 1/6 scale Cub, obviously no mess and fogging of windshield from fuel and more reliable power / no dead stick emergencies and retrieval from the boonies. If you don't care about scale appearing cabin/window details, ARF versions may satisfy you. Cubs are not really "trainers" as models. They require tail-dragger piloting skills and use of rudder with ailerons to counter adverse yaw tendencies much like full scale Cubs. J-3 Cubs have no flaps. If a little to heavily wing loaded, they tend to overfly a short runway unless landing into a headwind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	187505