Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor
 
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 6,108
Thanked 625 Times in 589 Posts
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (10)
Default Goblin 700 Speed flying last weekend.

This is my Goblin 700 speed which was cobbles together from a collection of second hand bits and pieces, so by large heli standards was something of a bargain. The airframe I got second hand but it had never even been fully built so was just like new... I love a bargain
  • Airframe + blades: Goblin Speed 'carbon' second hand but unflown
  • Motor: Quantum 4530 500kV purchased for next to nothing as was 'suspected faulty' (it was fine)
  • ESC: YGE 160HV from my spared box (bought used years ago)
  • FBL: Vbar silver-line (used)
  • Servos: Align DS820M/825M (second hand but unused)

JetPlaneFlyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
birdDog
Charging....
 
birdDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Too close to Chicago.
Posts: 2,426
Thanked 188 Times in 186 Posts
Awards Showcase

1kW 
iTrader: (8)
Friends: (7)
Default

I've been told that these can be set up to pull over 300kph level flight. Possible? Nice aircraft.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
birdDog is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor
 
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 6,108
Thanked 625 Times in 589 Posts
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (10)
Default

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
I've been told that these can be set up to pull over 300kph level flight. Possible? Nice aircraft.
Yes, specialist speed helis have been clocked at over 300kph. These are a bit more specialised than the Goblin though. The Goblin Speed is basically a standard Goblin 700 with more aerodynamic bodywork so it wont be quite as fast as the 'from the ground up' specialist speed helis. I built mine up for normal aerobatic/3D flying so it's running 3D main and tail blades and it's not setup for the extreme high headspeed and big pitch range that speed helis use.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
Buzz
Pcar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 965
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

I believe this fuselage was flown with a fixed pitch rotor to a speed of 400mph+ ...
Buzz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor
 
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 6,108
Thanked 625 Times in 589 Posts
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (10)
Default

I really dont think so. The outright speed record for an RC heli is around 193mph. Fixed pitch would be MUCH less because you wouldn't be able to run enough pitch for high speed flight. Details of the world speed record here: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/blog/?p=6293

Even in the world of real helicopters the outright speed record is less than 300mph. Helis have an ultimate speed limit caused by physics of rotors (retreating blade stall) that means they will never go 400mph, the fastest helis today are already right on the limit of what is physically possible. http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/11/hel...a-speed-limit/
JetPlaneFlyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Buzz
Pcar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 965
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I really dont think so. The outright speed record for an RC heli is around 193mph. Fixed pitch would be MUCH less because you wouldn't be able to run enough pitch for high speed flight. Details of the world speed record here: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/blog/?p=6293

Even in the world of real helicopters the outright speed record is less than 300mph. Helis have an ultimate speed limit caused by physics of rotors (retreating blade stall) that means they will never go 400mph, the fastest helis today are already right on the limit of what is physically possible. http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/11/hel...a-speed-limit/
I know it's hard to believe. I'll try to find the video so you can see it.
On the last pass, the guy flew it into the ground at full throttle. You could almost feel the "thud" when it hit the dirt. Let me look around again.
Buzz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
Buzz
Pcar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 965
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

I don't know where I came up with 400mph. LOL It's actually 200mph... and it is done in this video with a fixed pitch rotor. There are some that are faster... at about 230mph. Sorry for the goof up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRh9vPYHY6M
Buzz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor
 
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 6,108
Thanked 625 Times in 589 Posts
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (10)
Default

Hi Buzz,

The heli in that video is a HENSELEIT TDR, not a Goblin.. And it's not fixed pitch, it's collective pitch just like pretty much every other large RC heli. There are plenty of details and photos of the TDR on-line so you can see the collective pitch setup for yourself. i know a couple of guys who own TDRs.

Speed in the video was 172mph (says the speed right there in the title). The current RC heli speed record is 193mph as per my last post. This is the officially recorded/certified record, some might claim to have gone faster but dont have official recording to back up the claims.

Maybe where you are getting confused on the fixed pitch thing is that all of these helis run governed fixed RPM.. So rotor RPM remains the same and you control lift with pitch only. Usually helis like this will have a couple of fixed RPM modes that can be selected from the Tx, one low RPM mode for take off and landing and a high RPM mode for high performance/speed. You can actually hear the pilot switching from low RPM to high RPM flight mode at about 12 seconds in the video. My heli is set up similar but not running the extreme RPM that speed helis use.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Buzz
Pcar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 965
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Hi Buzz,

The heli in that video is a HENSELEIT TDR, not a Goblin.. And it's not fixed pitch, it's collective pitch just like pretty much every other large RC heli. There are plenty of details and photos of the TDR on-line so you can see the collective pitch setup for yourself. i know a couple of guys who own TDRs.

Speed in the video was 172mph (says the speed right there in the title). The current RC heli speed record is 193mph as per my last post. This is the officially recorded/certified record, some might claim to have gone faster but dont have official recording to back up the claims.

Maybe where you are getting confused on the fixed pitch thing is that all of these helis run governed fixed RPM.. So rotor RPM remains the same and you control lift with pitch only. Usually helis like this will have a couple of fixed RPM modes that can be selected from the Tx, one low RPM mode for take off and landing and a high RPM mode for high performance/speed. You can actually hear the pilot switching from low RPM to high RPM flight mode at about 12 seconds in the video. My heli is set up similar but not running the extreme RPM that speed helis use.
Good info.... thanks! The 400mph number came from a pulse jet video.
I have a brand new pulse jet... but no plane yet. I never noticed the low and high speed. Still haven't figured out why that guy did a dirt dive. It looked like something broke. Thanks for clearing this up.
Buzz
Buzz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
birdDog
Charging....
 
birdDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Too close to Chicago.
Posts: 2,426
Thanked 188 Times in 186 Posts
Awards Showcase

1kW 
iTrader: (8)
Friends: (7)
Default

Helicopter? Yep. Most likely something broke. I think someone should build a pulse jet helicopter. Not only because it would be cool, but because I am having trouble trying to imagine what sound it would make.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
birdDog is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
Buzz
Pcar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 965
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Helicopter? Yep. Most likely something broke. I think someone should build a pulse jet helicopter. Not only because it would be cool, but because I am having trouble trying to imagine what sound it would make.
It's LOUD! No throttle, the engine runs on gasoline until it runs out of gas.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r50DRou0LsM

Buzz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:31 AM   #12
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF
 
Wildflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lacey WA, 1 mile E of Mushroom Corner
Posts: 1,828
Thanked 180 Times in 175 Posts
Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
iTrader: (3)
Friends: (8)
Default

I had stood well clear of a control-line circle while a guy flew a pulse-jet control-line plane.
It was in 1964 and my ears are still ringing, well not quite, but I do have tinnitus.

I don't think I want to be anywhere close to a highspeed heli, but it is fun to watch.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Wildflyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
Buzz
Pcar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 965
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I had stood well clear of a control-line circle while a guy flew a pulse-jet control-line plane.
It was in 1964 and my ears are still ringing, well not quite, but I do have tinnitus.

I don't think I want to be anywhere close to a highspeed heli, but it is fun to watch.
Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g459ElCbu9U

Buzz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100+ MPH Club CHELLIE Hi-Performance and Sailplanes 2014 02-25-2018 11:51 AM
6 Keys to Success by Ed Anderson Reformed Nitroaddict Beginners 101 07-29-2017 08:15 PM
Everything You Wanted To Know About Electric Powered Flight AEAJR Beginners 165 06-28-2017 04:22 PM
Everything You Wanted To Know About Electric Powered Flight AEAJR General Electric Discussions 273 01-09-2017 02:23 AM
Salem Oregon No Club Flyers Old Tin Man General Electric Discussions 5 09-10-2011 11:12 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:32 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.16266 seconds with 44 queries