Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Some strange Stryker questions

Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM
WayneG

Default Some strange Stryker questions

My son and i have the B model Stryker.What would be a good brushless Tower Pro motor to use and with what size prop? We would have to make a new motor mount.Is the angle of thrust critical on the Stryker? The existing motor sits at a angle.

And lastly can the flaps on the wings be used only as elevators and we modify the fins for rudder control? The reason for this is that our radio at the moment does not allow mixing.

Hi did introduce myself in the new members coloum
Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Hello Wayne. I can answer a couple of your questions. For the motor, many people are using:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hless_Inrunner

You can run a 6x4 (my favorite) on it and it's 4s capable. I am personally running a Wicked motor from Don's RC. I have aslo used a 2212-06 motor from Graysons Hobbies. It performed quite well, but was a little slower than the Wicked. (2200kv vs. 2700kv for the Wicked) If you are not trying to break speed records it works fine. The higher your KV, the more amps you'll draw depending on the prop. On the 2212-06 I draw @22 amps, with the Wicked motor, @33amps with the 6x4 prop.

My "B" motor mount broke right after I upgraded my motor. It could not take the stress I guess and broke off in flight causing the prop to eat up the rear of my plane. I replaced it with a "C" model mount and have not had any problems.

Good luck, and welcome to wattflyer. Check out this thread, there is a lot of good info there: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8302
Old 09-29-2008, 02:39 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

yes I agree with Ideal Hobby, the 2845 is a great little motor, and you can use a 4 cell lipo with it too, but you will have to use a little smaller prop like a 5x5 apc, because you will be drawing more amps, a great ESC to use is the turnigy 60 amp ESC, it has the bec built into it, most 60 amp esc dont, by using a 60 amp ESC it will allow you to upgrade to a 4 cell later, and will last forever with a 3 cell , yes its a over kill, but cheap insurance, get a programing card with it too, only about $6.00 here is a nice powerful lipo to use,its a 2350mah 3 cell 25C, I have this set up in a FunJet, doing 103 MPH on a 4 cell lipo, and a 5x5 apc prop, I am using a little bigger ESC, a 80 amp, but a 60 amp will work fine with a 4 cell, I just over killed the ESC to be able to use different props, and higher AMP draws, take care, Chellie
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5C_Lipoly_Pack

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ogramming_Card

NAME: CHELLIE
SPEED: 103.00 MPH
PLANE: Funjet
MOTOR: 2845 HXT 2700kv

ESC: 80 Amp Turnigy
BATTERY: 4 cell LoongMax 2500mah 30C
PROP: 5x5 APC
Old 09-29-2008, 02:44 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

For mixing Wayne, get a v tail mixer, it will allow you to use your radio as elevons, here is one from Hobby city
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r._Ultra-small

And Welcome To Wattflyers Wayne
Old 09-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Hi Wayne, Welcome.

As for using the tails as rudders, yep it can be done. You'll need 2 additional servos and a Y harness to control the "rudders". I did it on one many many moons ago.

Rudders tend to make the Stryker fly kinda like a Florida airboat. Using the rudders to turn makes long skidding or yawing turns. Also because of the angle of the tails, the rudders also tend to lift the nose when used, so you aren't needing the assist of "elevator" operation to keep the nose up.

Kind of a neat thing to see in the air. Practice with em and you can get the Stryker to actually swap ends with hard rudder. Looks funny seeing one actually going backwards before it takes off in forward flight.

As for motor angle, YES it is a biggie. Get it wrong and you'll be fighting the Stryker all over the place.

Easiest rule of thumb was to sight down the motor shaft, from the side. The angle should end up about dead center in the tip of the nose.

The Stryker has a lifting wing, in layman's terms, the faster it goes the higher it climbs. So you have to adjust for this with motor angle.

Get it right and the Stryker should just barely climb on accelleration, with out control inputs. If it noses up or down on accelleration, the motor angle is off.
As for your radio not having a mixer, that's no biggie at all, you can buy channel mixers for somewhere around $20.00. This allows you the mix option even thou your radio doesn't mix.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM
WayneG

Thank you for your replies. Any suggestions on a outrunner type motor? I would have to make a mount, how would that affect the angle of thrust?
Thanks for the heads up on the v tail mixer Chellie. Just need to find one in South Africa
Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Thank you for your replies. Any suggestions on a outrunner type motor? I would have to make a mount, how would that affect the angle of thrust?
Thanks for the heads up on the v tail mixer Chellie. Just need to find one in South Africa
Hi Wayne I make my motor mounts from angle aluminum, on my stryker, I give the motor mount about 2 degrees of down thrust, that helps to load the wing, and helps to prevent wanting to rise up with throttle applied, that works for me you can bent the motor mount in a vice, and use a graduating level to get the angle, the motor will have a slight up ward tilt to it, looking at it from the side, 1 to 2 degrees is about all you will need, I also epoxy some thin plywood to the top of the foam, between the rudders, for the motor mount, about 1/8" to 3/16" thick should be fine, then drill to mount the motor mount with 4 screws,
you need a motor that has about 2500 to 2700 KV /rpm, most out runners do not have that KV, the 2845 inrunner is the best motor for that Stryker, with a 6x4 APC prop, that should give you about 70 to 80MPH,
Old 09-29-2008, 04:16 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

www.donsrc.com
The Wicked 2700 is an outrunner.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:25 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by idealhobbies View Post
www.donsrc.com
The Wicked 2700 is an outrunner.

your right forgot about that one, take care, Chellie
Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 AM
WayneG

Thank you all for the replies and advice. Much appreciated
Old 09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
oly_rcer

if you want an outrunner b/l motor try this one i use it and it gets along just fine unlimited verts and good flying time using a 2200ma 25c batt
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...3.8_Prop_Combo also i wouldnt waste time on making rudders if you check ebay you'll find the new dx5i radio for under 100.00 including reciever. as for the mount what i did is this(sorry no cam)remove the base mounnt from the motor and set it into the rear portion of the mount and epoxy it.that way the motor angle is the same,then put motor in mount and fly lol you might want to brace the mount up at the base.gl and have fun
Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

You can prob use the stock stryker C mount with the motor, as long as you get the version without the cooling fins...

SK
Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 AM
WayneG

Would the E Flite 400 4200 KV Inrunner work in the Stryker?
We do not get the same choices of motors here in South Africa as you guys have got.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Would the E Flite 400 4200 KV Inrunner work in the Stryker?
We do not get the same choices of motors here in South Africa as you guys have got.
you could not use it with 11.1 volts direct drive, you would not be able to use a very big prop, you can use a gear box of about 2 to 1, and lower the kv, rpm to 2100 kv and use a 6x4 prop with 11.1volts

or you would have to use a 2 cell lipo 7.4 volts, then you could turn a bigger prop such as a 5x5 0r 6x4. but you will have to check amp draw to be on the safe side

7.4 volts x4200kv = 31080 rpm, ver 11.1 x 2700kv= 29970 rpm
very close,

Just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie