Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #101
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

So far ... not good ! It keeps calibrating each time switched on ... tracking is intermittent ... its very sensitive to any interference - the GPS relay from TAG to base is extremely weak and drifts in / out causing loss of tracking.

So far I am not at all happy. And I know I am not only one.

I've created a Yahoo Group so we can get owners hopefully to post up instead of via the cluttered sales garbage Facebook page.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/soloshot3/info

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #102
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Hopefully just teething troubles Nigel, fingers crossed.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #103
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I need to get out to a clearer area just to be sure ... but its annoying as my house grounds are not like a garden with pipes / cables etc. Its 3.5 acres of estate !! My Phantom has no trouble at all ... but this SS3 is not happy there.

My main reason to buy was to video RC activities ... I am now worried because a lot of the flying / RC Car stuff is at sites that may not be liked by the SS3 ! I will keep at it ...

Here's first vids and you can see my concerns :

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #104
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Friends: (3)

Centering "encapsulation" issues have been reported during October (2017) field testing.........chronofhorse.com and fitbit.com crew also contacted Solo about rate of speed and framing delays. Solo responded stating they were aware of the issues, believe it's related to the "background noise", physical obstructions and IOS11 update compatibility.

Seems "bugs" are still being worked out......Solo also stated field testing under" 50meters within wide open clear LOS" situations, their focus and tracking speed results were "favorable"....whatever that means..?

For that kind of money and amount of BETA testing this thing has been through, one would expect a tad-bit better "first impression" experience....everything being equal to the hype.

Knowing your persistence and attention to detail, only a matter of time before it will work it's self out......one way or another......
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 PM   #105
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)

I wouldn't think it is my computer but the movies seem real dark. I had trouble seeing you at times. I can see the days are pretty dull. Maybe that's it.
Speed seems to be an issue. I doubt it could follow a plane easily like they claimed.

That company seems to have a very dubious reputation. Maybe a class action would wake them up.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #106
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Dark ... yes ... basically the camera does not return to normal quickly after having Sun in it.

Here's the chat going on between myself and SS :

SS :

"The SS3 will stop tracking you and the LED will turn off if you get too close. The minimum tracking distance varies depending on how confident the SS3 is about it's location. The more you get back from the base and move around, the more confident it will be that is tracking you and the minimum tracking distance will shrink. However, sometimes this can take a while, especially if the lighting conditions are poor. When in doubt, set up your SS3 further back from your activity. There will be a new FW coming soon that will increase the gain on the camera sensor in low light conditions. I'm happy to help with if you have any specific questions. Good luck and thanks for hanging in there with us over these past 2 years!"

My reply :

"I understand distance between the TAG and base - GPS is not able to be more accurate than 2 - 3m - so TAG must be outside that distance for the Base and TAG to be able to separate their locations. But what I find strange is that now the subject of LOW LIGHT is brought up. From the limited info before - we all accepted that GPS is the tracking systems base reference - as with DJI and many other items. Now we hear about Low Light indicating Optical Tracking as well ? THis is not good news as one of the avenues I wanted SS3 for is nighttime videos of RC models with lights ... Firework displays etc. etc. If now as I understand it - low light is not feasible - that's a large chunk of use lost."

Next from SS :

"Hi, I watched your second video. The tracking system will struggle in low light with the the camera pointed at the sun. I think you will get better results if you keep the sun behind you and maybe try it a little earlier before it gets dark. Also if testing in a field, please use field mode because flight mode requires more dynamic activity for tracking. Field mode will give you better tilt when walking around. I can't wait to see some RC videos!"

My next reply :

"I have many digital units ... 808's, Mini DVR's, Fuji DSLR, GoPro, GoPro clone Sportcams ... a whole bunch of different units including 4k DJI Phantom - NONE of them show same problems as the SS3 camera. If they cross the Sun - in an instant they revert back to normal when away from Sun. Not like the SS3 which then stays dark for far too long. In fact none of my other cameras go dark like that ! To advise that Sun should be behind us - this is not good - as the SS3 is going to be used in activities where 360 movement is required .. the Sun will come into frame at times ...
I accept that mode may incur more dynamics - but the modes are there to be used ... and I will be using my SS3 mostly in Flight Mode because of RC planes. If there is a limitation because of this - then that is also another item that degrades the use factor of the SS3. So far it is not living up to its promises.
I would prefer actually public discussion of all items and possible solutions and is why I created the Yahoo Group : https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages
to avoid Youtube and Facebook excess clutter. A downto earth group where owners and Soloshot can get to the meat of the matter and solve / improve its use."

Their contact is 'private' and not public - which I think is wrong. I know I am not only one with problems and I think SS should be openly providing answers - not private waffle as above.

A robot camera system that should always have Sun behind it ?

Camera that fails to return to normal light standard after Sun ?

Needs to calibrate everytime its started for tracking ?

System that appears we will not be able to video night flights ?

I am not amused to wait 2 years and receive a unit that fails to live up to expectations.

As P says - I am a person that will keep at it ... I will succeed one way or another.

Nigel

Old 11-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #107
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery7

I know that in Australia we have the ACCC which protects consumers from companies like SoloShot. They would be made to rectify or refund in a case like this. Their own advertising would put them deep in it.
Another option of course is PayPal but time limit may have expired in this case. ?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #108
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nigel,

'Sun behind' is not such a bad thing for RC flying because that's what you would usually have as the camera would typically be on the pilot's stance side of the flight line. No camera in the world will get good pictures looking into the sun anyway.

I might be worth just giving it a try on a plane and on a day with decent lighting, see how it does, it might surprise you and do ok? Same thing for night flying, you could give it a try before making any judgement, I suppose in Soloshot's defence on that point (and assuming it didn't work well at night) they dont actually say it will work at night.

I take their point about being close up, the accuracy of GPS is always going to be a limitation (I didnt even realise it used GPS!). This very much depends where in the world you are and how many satellites are visible at that moment. I have a few GPS devices and their accuracy varies quite a lot depending on how many satellites they can see.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #109
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery7

I was excitedly looking forward to your vids Nigel but maybe they may work out yet. A lot of things can be improved by firmware updates so cross fingers that they are still working hard on it.
Just so long as they don't announce a SS4 in the next few weeks....

Sorry mate...
Old 11-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #110
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

View crxmanpat's Gallery20
Club: Arizona Model Aviators, Gilbert Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Here's the videos we did last Sunday.

Pat Gagnon
Old 11-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #111
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Tks Pat ... nice site you have.

Forgive me for saying - but the Warthog is one hell of an ugly machine !! Anyway ,, it flies well though.
I had dealings with them in GW1 ... but that's another story !!

Interested if you can give the settings for each video ... the Tracking settings ...

ie FLIGHT .... WIDE .... 3 secs etc.

So far I've found with my Optic 25 that expecting tight FoV can defeat the framing and focus as it tries to zoom in and keep FoV to the users option.
This is something that I have learnt today with running the Car and MIG29 tests ... FoV setting is very important for keeping in frame.

We all want to have ZOOM and the Zoom amount is controlled by the FoV setting as I found out. Set at WIDE and it zooms less ... focus stays and frame stays reasonably. But if we tighten in the FoV - the zoom increases and focus goes in and out ... framing gets hit or miss especially when you do a close pass ...

Here's my Car run today ... unfortunately my Pistol radio is a cheapo and has no expo to tame the steering !! so I busted front suspension when I hit the curb.

Here's the MIG 29 and shows the FoV problem well ....

Pat ... maybe you and your mate want to join us ?

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/soloshot3/

Owners Group

Nigel

Old 11-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #112
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Interesting, the camera is obviously trying hard to follow but doesnt seem to be quite responsive enough when it needs to change pan speed quickly. Maybe a bit more tweaking and firmware updates will get it nailed as it looks like it's not too far off.

But overall it seems like the good old hat-cam will take some beating!
Old 11-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #113
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

JPF ... yes - I put it on par with Hatcam !

So far my take is that Soloshot may have compromised on Pan / Tilt reaction to avoid jerky video. They accepted a slower reaction, but this then means Camera loses framing of subject.
Its working hard anyway - because GPS is not pinpoint anyway - so a TAG sending GPS info to a base that is GPS located is opening door to inaccuracy of locking to frame.
As you tighten FoV - that will get worse.

I'm expecting SS to update these units often as they get feedback ... and I hope that they join the User Group I created specifically for owners to post and improve.

For anyone looking at this ? If you are willing to play and learn with it as I - then go for the 65x not the 25x as I did. My 18x Fuji zooms better than this 25x Optic ... its more like 10x or less ...

Nigel

Old 11-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #114
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Nigel,

I don't know what all of the settings were, but I know the first flight was tight, second flight was medium. If you comment on the vids, I'm sure my friend will chime in.

Pat Gagnon
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #115
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Had a session with two models ....

My MIG 29 :

Vilnis - my pal - with his Zephyr EDF :

Settings : FLIGHT MODE, NARROW FoV, 1 sec trajectory.

Basically - the camera followed but when model turned or changed direction - the camera carried on overshot and then had to get back to subject. It got worse as the subject got closer to the camera. With the MIG in fact - the camera went 'nuts' for a few seconds then locked on again.

Soloshot advised after seeing vids that new updates were out and to try those .... so once weather is suitable - I'll be at it again.

My opinion is that very wide FoV is going to be the only way to try keep subject in frame most of the time. That will then reduce zooming in unfortunately.

Nigel

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #116
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Here's the MIG29 Headcam video - so you can see the difference ...

Nigel

Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #117
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Basically - the camera followed but when model turned or changed direction - the camera carried on overshot and then had to get back to subject. It got worse as the subject got closer to the camera. With the MIG in fact - the camera went 'nuts' for a few seconds then locked on again.
Yep, same thing we saw when doing our tests.

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Soloshot advised after seeing vids that new updates were out and to try those .... so once weather is suitable - I'll be at it again.
I will let my mate know about this. Thanks!

Pat Gagnon

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography