Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Regal Eagle

Old 03-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Flysfloats

Default Regal Eagle

I have had a Bob Parkinson Regal Eagle kit for longer than I can remember. It was designed for the old glow ducted fan engines.

Since I am pretty much out of glow flying I was considering building this model and installing a EDF unit. My first question is whether this is a reasonable kit for our modern electric fans? I know you can buy ARFs that are pretty much ready to fly very inexpensively but the build is still something I enjoy. If the plane turned out to be a total pig, then I would reconsider.

Thanks for your comments. FF
Old 03-09-2015, 02:05 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Not familiar with that kit, but some of the larger EDFs (5 inch / 127 mm) are based on the old glow .91 ci units and will drop right in.

Many of the planes originally intended for glow DF have been converted to EDF.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

I've read some posts where folks have converted these to electric. Most I've read are are from 10 or 12 years ago and are talking about early brushless setups.
It should work with a 90mm edf unit on 5S or 6S.
I believe the completed weight was in the 5 to 6 lbs range so you will want to aim towards 800 watts or so. That kit could probably use some lightening as well as i think it called for a 90 glow. Much of the beefier section to cope with the vibrations of that glow motor could be reduced.
Good luck with the build, I've always liked the look of Bob's planes.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Flysfloats

Thank you for the comments. Sounds like it would be worth the effort to build and install an EDF power system. I am in Baja for another couple of weeks and when I get home I will start the building. Should be fun and my flying club has a Navy off site runway and taxiway available for r/c flying with tons of open space around. Will probably have some further questions as the project evolves. FF
Old 04-13-2020, 08:47 PM
Flysfloats

Default Possible NEW LIFE!!

I had even forgotten I had previously started this thread, goes to show you what being busy and aging can do, gulp! Anyway, with this "staying at home" for an undetermined period of time, I have finished my last modeling project and am "considering" the Regal Eagle again. I have pretty much the same questions as shown above, #1 is this a reasonable project? #2 Operators manual indicates 9 +/-lbs (assume a glow engine), #3 Could fly off of grass? #4 Any build threads you know of? Given my uncertainty with this build I would not be willing to go the Platinum route ($$$) but would go the Hobby King route as far as motor/fan unit. I do have a smaller E-Flite BAE Hawk that I have only tried to fly once and had a FOD problem and after replacing the fan is has stayed on the shelf, no other jet experience.

My second option IF I don't build the Regal Eagle is an old Carl Goldberg Protoge and convert to e=power.

Looking forward to some opinions that will keep me out of my wife's way and her quest to keep me busy!!!

Last edited by Flysfloats; 04-13-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:54 AM
Flysfloats

It appears that this thread doesn't have much interest as shown by the lack of responses. I have taken everything out of the kit and have the work bench cleared, plans down, and now watching the building cassette and trying to identify the parts. Still looking for a power source as Hobby King seems to have their fan/motors either out of stock or only available in Hong Kong and the dreaded month long delivery date. We shall see what progress I will be making, if any. FF
Old 05-04-2020, 06:35 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Flysfloats
It now a very old design so interest is likely to be limited.
There is a Regal Eagle rebuild taking place now on the RCME site.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:47 PM
Flysfloats

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
Flysfloats
It now a very old design so interest is likely to be limited.
There is a Regal Eagle rebuild taking place now on the RCME site.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply and you are correct in that the interest level is probably not so good. I was super excited to receive the link to the RCME site(new to me) but, sadly, the plane referenced in this build thread is totally different than the one I am trying to build. Mine is from a kit I bought in the mid 80s and was an early version of a balsa wood F-15 figher jet powered by a glow ducted fan. I am going to use an electric fan and motor and will see how it performs, if I live long enough to complete the build.

Hope all is well in the UK. Later, Ford

Old 03-14-2021, 11:03 PM
Lucky405

Default Regal eagle help

I have gotten a regal eagle that is built up but I have some issues that I can’t figure out

servo locations?
also what would be best for the power plant im thinking about a 120mm edf unit and 150amp esc and 12s

is this over kill
Old 03-15-2021, 05:42 AM
Flysfloats

Not sure where to start. I have FINALLY completed the building of my Regal Eagle. Yesterday I took it to our flying field for a taxi test in the paved parking lot. I was anticipating some basic check out taxiing and then maybe an aborted takeoff run on the grass field. Upon connecting batteries and and pushing up the throttle, I got an increase in noise AND THE PLANE DIDN'T MOVE!!!!! I looked at the tires and they weren't flat, hmmm. I gave the plane a push with the throttle firewalled and the plane moved forward at about a normal walking speed. I was devastated. Came home, got out an E-Flite BAE Hawk I have but never flown and did a taxi test in my driveway. Pushed up the throttle and it quickly accelerate in a spirited manner. I then checked the angle of the fan blades and the direction of rotation and compared to the Regal Eagle, the same. Tomorrow I continue my search for answers to my problem.

Now, back to your questions. You can tell I may not be the best pilot to give you advice given the above fiasco, but here it goes. My mid '80s kit weighs 13# ready to "fly". I have a 120 mm EDF unit, 2 ea 6S batteries=12 S. I put the aileron servos in the wings. I put 2 elevator servos behind the fan, one on each side. I decided that I rarely use rudder in my prop plane flying(I didn't say I was a great pilot) so decided not to put rudders on my plane. I did put a servo for the nose wheel steering and I put the servo immediately behind the nosewheel. Just behind that I managed to place both 6S batteries in the front fuselage. I had to do that to get my CG right. My ESC and flight battery(for the servos only) are in front of the motor and at the forward most part of the main fuselage..

I don't know how much this will help you but it is about my limit. There is a building thread on RCU that another pilot started and he has advised me in my build. I also posted a few times there. I will attempt to post a picture of my plane. Here is a link to the RCU thread. https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...-recycled.html

Good luck and keep me posted. FF
Old 03-15-2021, 02:49 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Flysfloats
What 120 mm EDF did you install and what capacity battery are you using?
With that information it is possible to do a Google search to find out what the manufacturer thinks the EDF should provide.
Finally is that all up weight 13 lbs? You need a full power thrust of at least half the planes total weight to stand a chance of flying.
It is difficult from the rcuniverse link to see your complete ducting. Remember you are hauling heavy batteries with an EDF so you cannot afford to 'loose' any thrust. The nature of the ducting is really important.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:47 PM
Flysfloats

I installed a Jetfan 120 mm Eco EDF and a HET Typhoon 700-98 840kv brushless motor. I bought these from Fan Jets USA. Installed 2 ea 6S, 4,000 mah, 50 C batteries. The total weight of the plane, ready to "fly" is 13 lbs. I did my best not to interrupt incoming air flow, had installed a inlet ring and some foam baffles to also help smooth the inflow of air. I will call Fan Jets USA this morning and see what they can suggest. Still depressed!

Old 03-15-2021, 06:37 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... first thing I would do is check thrust with a high charge state LiPo in .... not quite full charged at that gives a higher reading than average flight.

Take a decent digital scale and stand model on its nose on scale .. read weight ............ then carefully open throttle up to full and read of scale .. difference of the two is thrust.

With a 13lb model - I would look for 8lb or more ..... 7lb is minimum in my book but will be crap for wheel jobs. You need a bit extra to overcome the wheels ... of course 10lb or more would be nice.

I was in the Glow DF days and most were flown with piped serious high rpm motors .... ie K&B ... Webra etc. And it was not unusual to fly mostly at or near full throttle .... unlike todays models that are lighter and can be throttled.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:14 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Flysfloats
According to this web site the 120 ECO fan can deliver16.5 lbs thrust on 12s which should be more than adequate, It is drawing 96A when doing so which is also within the capability of your batteries. Is 96 A within the capability of the ESC?
Your motor has a slightly higher kV but according to this spec it is capable of generating the required power.
So is the motor drawing anything like 96A? A Wattmeter is the only way practical way you can find out. If it is then you are loosing an awful lot of thrust somewhere. If it isn't then there is something wrong with your set up.

Just a point but are you sure the batteries are in series giving 44.4V nominal? If they are in parallel (6s) the thrust would only be around 3 lbs. It would certainly explain the lack of go!
Old 03-16-2021, 05:38 AM
Flysfloats

My education continues- - -! It is good to know that my set up appears to be adequate, whew. Batteries ARE in series, ESC is rated 120 amps, don't have a wattmeter. I did call Fan Jets USA and talked to Matt, a nice guy. He suggested that I check the programming of the ESC. I have to admit that this could be my problem, like a reduced amount of throttle. I am not very knowledgeable in the programming of the electronics. With that being said, when I initially installed the ESC and tried to run the motor/fan to check rotation, all the ESC did was beep This was puzzling to me so I read like the first paragraph of the instructions and managed to do "something" that got the motor to operate. I then figured I was good to go, not having a clue that I might have limited the output, which may be the case. SO, I will read the instructions more carefully and hope I can verify that the settings are good for what I want to do, sigh.

One guy I had called to set up a location for a maiden flight due to lack of space at our flying field, asked me if I had a stabilization system??? I didn't even consider this as I have no idea how I would go about this IF I thought I needed one. All of this is causing me to become less confident in my abilities to fly this plane if and when I get the power issue cured. The original video that came with the kit touted this plane as being designed to fly off of grass and not require a superb pilot to enjoy it. I thought this indicated to me that I fit into this category. We shall see.

Thanks for the suggestions, eventually the RE will get into the air, I just hope more than once!! Later, FF
Old 03-16-2021, 11:12 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

The Regal Eagle may or may not be easy enough to fly but with a 12s 120 mm EDF you have jumped right in pretty close to the ultimate in electric power. Whilst the principles remain the same regardless of the size of the EDF but because of the potential power involved (2400+W = 3 or 4 hp) things can go wrong pretty quickly if it is not set up right.
Is there any possibility you could get someone who has experience in high power EDFs to look over your installation and take you through the required settings. This sort of kit it really isn't "plug and play".
Do keep us informed of how you get on.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:31 AM
Flysfloats

UPDATE! I am embarrassed to be writing this in a public forum, sigh. After sending a couple of e-mails along with pictures to my motor/fan source and to my advisor in the building of the Regal Eagle, I got some feedback. Somehow I managed to install the motor/fan backwards! Since this was my first EDF plane(and maybe my last), I KNOW somebody told me how to orient this unit. I am not sure WHO advised me but I would bet I must have misunderstood what they told me, or a smaller chance they told me incorrect information.

Bottom line is that I spent sometime today removing the unit from its mounting, rearranging components and figuring out how to reinstall things to best achieve acceptable CG. Didn't have to tear into the plane's structure so I was lucky in that regard. Anyway, will finish this up in the next day or two and hope to perform a successful taxi test soon.

I wonder if I am a candidate for Prevagen?? TBC FF
Old 03-19-2021, 12:17 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

You are not first ... you will not be last to foo-pah !!

Trouble is - I have snagging doubts this model will survive first outing .............. sorry but this is a serious model that anyone looking to fly would be nervous about.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:35 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Flysfloats
With the fan in effect running backwards you were lucky it did not break. The blade shape is designed to take the considerable forces involved in one direction only. Full power in reverse can set up blade flutter and when any blade breaks the imbalance forces can result in the EDF destroying itself.
I did the same thing on a smaller EDF (installed the right way but accidentally connected to run backwards) and as it ran up to full throttle it ended up with only the roots of the blades left on the hub!
Don't worry we all make mistakes.
The important thing is not make the same mistake more than once!
Old 03-19-2021, 05:50 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Further to Q's post ..... there are many versions of EDF motors that have NO secure bell if run wrong direction. As example a Turnigy 2615 for a 64mm fan ... the shaft is free floating in the bearing as its designed for the fan to PULL the shaft and bell and keep in position. If you reversed that - the fan would PUSH the shaft back and it would hit the thrust face ... with possibility of shattering the fan ...
Old 08-04-2021, 05:05 AM
Lucky405

Default Pics

I want to see pictures of the plane and im sure other people do too
Old 08-05-2021, 04:50 AM
Flysfloats

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to post pictures on this site. I click on the "mountain" and I am prompted to furnish a URL. That is as far as I can go??

An update on my plane though, after I reversed the mounting of my motor/fan, I did a short taxi test in the parking lot of our flying field/soccer field and the plane seemed to accelerate ok. My next effort was to take the Regal Eagle to a neighboring club's field an hour away for my maiden flight. Sadly there was a 10 mph +/- breeze from the wrong direction which prevented me from taking off into the wind. So, I did another taxi test on the close cut grass runway. To my delight, the Regal Wagle accelerated very quickly leading me to believe that a successful take off would be possible. However, weather and life has prevented me from performing my maiden flight. I have not been flying at all and now I am reluctant to fly the RE without some practice time to maximize my chance of success.

Sorry about the pictures, if anybody can coach me to be able to post the pictures, thank you. On other sites I am able to access my 2 picture locations and can post them easily.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:57 AM
Lucky405

Originally Posted by Flysfloats View Post
I have not been flying at all and now I am reluctant to fly the RE without some practice time to maximize my chance of success.

boy do I feel that I haven’t flown any thing in a year and a half and im getting planes ready to fly but lack of skill prevents me from flying again…soon though I will be in the sky
Old 08-17-2021, 07:15 PM
Flysfloats

Default Regal Eagle Pictures?

Click image for larger version

Name:	rege.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	188507Click image for larger version

Name:	reg.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	188508