Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Watts Up Meter vs this

Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Saito56

Default Watts Up Meter vs this

After flying gas and glow for 10 years, I am getting into electrics. I am on a fixed income, and would like your expert advise on this item that I came across.

Everyone knows about a Watt meter, and at $55 to $70 bucks they are a good investment. But I found this item and would like the general opinion if it will do the same job at a cheaper price. I know you get what you pay for, but I am curious. My electric fleet is not large, so it may do the job.

HERE ARE THE SPECS,,

Current and Voltage Tester

Finally, a low cost way to test your power system! This easy to use Current and Voltage Tester displays the voltage of a Lipo battery pack, and will also display the amp draw of a power system.
Here is how it works:
1. To check the voltage of a battery pack, simply plug the battery into the Tester. The voltage of the battery will be displayed. This is a quick way to check if your battery is fully charged before you fly.
2. To test the amp draw of a model airplane power system, connect the Tester to the battery connection of the Electronic Speed Control of your model. Be sure to turn on your transmitter, then plug the Tester into a battery. With the model held securely, and the propeller clear, throttle up the motor. The Tester will flash between volts and amps. If you want to know the watts being used, simply multiply the two numbers together (amps x volts = watts).
Current and Voltage Tester Specifiations:
Dimensions: 1.7 x 0.8 x 0.3 inches plus 4 inch 18 awg wires
Weight: 0.5 ounce
Display: LCD
Voltage range: 5.5 volts to 24 volts
Current range: 0.7 amps to 30 amps
Accuracy: plus/minus 0.2 volts, plus/minus 0.3 amps
Battery Connection: T-Plug
PRICE: $11.95
Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Wish I saw that before I dumped $55. If Jeff at HeadsUp sells them, I will bet he has tested and endorsed them. While it does not save peak amps and voltage sags, keep your eyes on it and remember tham yourself. I am betting it is good product although I have no experience with them. 30 amps should be fine for most park flyers.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

That device performs a similar function. I have to admit, however, I would not want to trade my Whatts-Up meter for it. I could see having BOTH, but IMHO, the Whatts-Up is a VERY worthwhile investment. It does the calculation for you (Watts), it constantly updates, and it saves the peak numbers for review later (say you put it in your plane to see what peak amps/watts you are drawing), like after you land.

I wouldn't give up my Watt meter for anything. It is one of the most valuable tools in my arsenal.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Saito56

[quote=birdDog;588010]Wish I saw that before I dumped $55. If Jeff at HeadsUp sells them, I will bet he has tested and endorsed them. While it does not save peak amps and voltage sags, keep your eyes on it and remember tham yourself. I am betting it is good product although I have no experience with them. 30 amps should be fine for most park flyers.[/quot

Jeff at Heads UP RC has been a great help to me in getting into electrics. He sells them, and I think it just may be what I need to try.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:22 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

As long as you stay with small stuff it is a good starter unit.

30 amps isn't a whole lot though, so you may outgrow it before too long.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

For $12 it's a great deal! I think it's essential that you know your amp draw when putting a new power system together, and if you're under the 30A, then it's great! This seems like a great field box tool, small and inexpensive!

Like anything that deals with high amps, handling that current comes at a cost. I'd say about half my systems are over 30A, so my Whatt's up meter is great for me.

Honestly, the EagleTree Logger V3 at $69 and 100A is a TON of tool at that amp rating!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Saito56

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
As long as you stay with small stuff it is a good starter unit.

30 amps isn't a whole lot though, so you may outgrow it before too long.
Yeah small stuff is what I will stick with, 20 to 30 amp esc max, I havn't given up on my gas totally but like the convience of electrics and being able to fly at the local parks, we have some big parks! One is a old golf course.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

you can get the wattsup at Hk for 39.96 mine should be in soon.
Also amazon has them and if you open a credit account you get $30 off your first purchase. I've bought stuff doing this 3 times you have to remeber to cancel the card after you pay the card company did this a couple of times.
Wish I rememberd this before I ordered from HK. I forgot about this until I read this thread, forgetfulness is a wonderful thing.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:29 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

It's sort of like the difference between a good pliers and a crescent wrench. Both will work. The better tool will cost more, work better, and be more satisfying to work with.
For those not willing to pay the $$ the cheap tool is way better than no tool at all.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Or, you could build your own for $3-$4. It's now been modified for up to 200 amps.

Bill
Old 04-04-2009, 07:35 PM
jkaven

Originally Posted by Saito56 View Post
But I found this item and would like the general opinion if it will do the same job at a cheaper price. I know you get what you pay for, but I am curious.
It works great. You got a ATmega 48V-10AU Microcontroller, a regulator, a three digit display, a shunt and some misc parts. BAM! It's that simple.

Watts up probably has similar stuff inside (Anyone want to open it up? ), plus it can handle higher amps, a nice plastic case and has an LCD display. If you added that to the meter from headsup, and gave it a good name like "The Wattinator!" or "Wattinthehell?"I'm sure it would start getting closer in price to the wattsup.

So for their features I think both are in a good spot for the price. I don't think the $12 of the lesser feature meter makes it bad quality. If you got the same components from Mouser you'd reach $10 and you'd have to write the code yourself.

Edit: I just found a picture. Looks like Watts Up uses a Atmel micro controller as well. It has a larger shunt to hand the higher amps.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 PM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
you can get the wattsup at Hk for 39.96 mine should be in soon.

Where did you find that price on their website

All I find is this: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6380
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by C130 Load View Post
Where did you find that price on their website

All I find is this: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6380
You have to register and be logged in to receive special pricing.

Right now while I'm logged in I show it for $39.46.

Bill
Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 PM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post

Bill
DUH!! OK Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Saito56 View Post
Yeah small stuff is what I will stick with, 20 to 30 amp esc max, I havn't given up on my gas totally but like the convience of electrics and being able to fly at the local parks, we have some big parks! One is a old golf course.
Hi, After you get into E Power, you will not want to go back to Nitro, Belive me, I sold all of my Nitro Motors and Planes, E Power has more power, cleaner, Quiet no more wiping off the Slime with window cleaner

get the watts Up meter, or you will be buying it later and selling the $12.00 30 amp meter
Old 04-05-2009, 12:50 AM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post

Bill
OK Bill, I logged in and it still shows the $53 price. Do you buy a lot from them and get bigger discounts over time maybe?

Ed
Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

I don't remember. It seems that meter has been around $39 for as long as I can remember.

Try closing your browser and reopening it again then go back to their site. There may have to be some sort of Cookies set, or something.

Then make sure you're logged in again.

Bill
Old 04-05-2009, 02:21 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

when you logged in it should instantly give you the lower price you have a password that you put in before you start shopping.
You did fill out a small form didn't you with your mailing info, e-mail ect. then they ask you to create a pasword to log in with.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 AM
birdDog
Charging....

WOW! From $52.?? to $39.46 just for signing in. I'm gonna have to keep that in mind. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

They also say if you write a review (a good one, I'll bet) they'll also give you a few percentages off on your next order.

Bill
Old 04-05-2009, 04:18 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

When you write a reveiw they give you a code copy and paste to word or write it down it is not saved by HK you need to save it, negative or positive they post em I've read good and bad. It gives you 5% off nest purchase.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:50 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

My fav is the eflite one for $40
Old 04-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Do you have to write a review on each item you ordered, or just one of them?

I've not written a review on any of my orders. Maybe I should.

Bill
Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Saito56

Originally Posted by C130 Load View Post
OK Bill, I logged in and it still shows the $53 price. Do you buy a lot from them and get bigger discounts over time maybe?

Ed
To get the lower prices I was told you have to have ordered in the past. then you get a discount.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I've bought maybe 3x from them. If I go to the link it's $54.
If I log in and go back it's $39.46. That would almost make up for the shipping. At full price you are better off buying locally. Used wattmeters going for $40 last mere minutes on the site.

They do pull bad reviews. I've seen it done which makes me somewhat suspicious of the reviews in general. Some folks get around it by giving 'good' stars but their actual report is not so glowing.

Quick Reply: Watts Up Meter vs this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14185 seconds with 13 queries