Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Watts Up Meter vs this

Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 AM
SteveM732

Originally Posted by jkaven View Post
Watts up probably has similar stuff inside (Anyone want to open it up? )

Edit: I just found a picture. Looks like Watts Up uses a Atmel micro controller as well. It has a larger shunt to hand the higher amps.
How about the attached PDF?

The strength of the Watt's Up meter is the simultaneous display of volt/amps/watts along with additional data, the most useful of which is probably charge in mAh. I use mine all the time for setting up new motors and testing new props, I like to see the watts and not have to run the numbers. The next most useful task is in knowing how much I have discharged from my battery pack. For its price and size I can see it being a handy tool though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	meter_back.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	98167  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
watts_up.pdf (44.5 KB, 555 views)
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 AM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by Saito56 View Post
To get the lower prices I was told you have to have ordered in the past. then you get a discount.
That's what I thought. I tried closing the browser and going back to it with the same result. I have never ordered from them before.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:32 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

they print bad reviews heres one 3 stars and he still got the discount even though it puts down this product.

Customer Rated 3/1/2009
Marco
The specs are saying 240W. Never! I tested mine and the wire coating started to melt at 180W. I tried to rewind it but the stator was very low quality and got damaged in the process. Plus the front bearing was doing this funny noise out of the box. It doesn't worth paying the extra money for the SK serie. You might get a better one that i did, but don't be surprised if you don't really get what you expect fromt the description!
1 customer found this review helpful, did you? Yes | No

If ya shop there alot like some of us do you will see the bad to.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Default todays sale

or, you could take advantage of Advantage:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...118#post589118
Old 04-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Saito56

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post

Looks very much like the Watts Up meter, Do you own one of these? Free shipping, makes it over $15 cheaper, and can handle higher readings.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM
RoadKingAl
RoadKingAl

Cool Need a meter.

WANT A LITTLE CHOICE, I have a watt meter, but for the price I love the assan meter. The numbers are so large, it's very easy to see outdoors.

HexTronik VA-Tester (Voltage & Current indicator)

HexTronik VA-Tester
Just plug the VA-Tester in between your esc and battery to show your motor/esc current drain in Amps (A) as well as voltage level (V).
A very simple, effective and cheap power analyzer for smaller power systems up to 30A.
Unit is accurate to .5A and should not be used for high power or high precision systems.

Input Range : 5.5V - 24V ; 0.7A - 30A
Min Input : 0.1V ; 0.3A
Dimensions : 41x19x8mm
Cell Diagnostics meter 2S~6S (Version 2)

Cell Diagnostics meter 2S~6S
Instantly measure your lipoly pack with the balance connector. Accurate to .01v and displays all voltage in a single page.
TURNIGY Multi-F DC Watt Meter 75A

TURNIGY Multi-F DC Watt Meter 75A
Measure your motor and battery performance. Without a reciever.

Spec.
Input Range: 3.3 ~ 50v
Output: 0~70A
Pulse Width: 20ms: .9-2.1ms(high side) / 1-2ms(low side)

$34.95

Assan 6S Lipo Battery monitor.
<form method="post" action="uh_addItem.asp" name="additem"><embed src="https://unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/flvplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="file=flashvids/assan2.flv&displayheight=180&repeat=true&autostart=true" width="240" height="200">

Assan 6S Lipo Battery Monitor. An excellent and very accurate voltage meter. This unit also comes with a power save switch so that you can fix it to your heli or plane to monitor voltages on the fly with minimum current drain!

Functions and Features:

Measure and display the volatge of each cell and total volatage of the 2S-6S Lithium battery packs. Flashing light to indicate low volatge.Large-sized LED segment display with clear and legible characters. High contrast gradient segment suitable for outdoor environment.Compact in form and light in weight, Suitable for use both on hand and fixed on model. Power-saving mode specially designed for real-time monitoring of voltage when installed on the model.

Insert the contact pin of the volatge monitor into the balance charge socket of the lithium battery pack. Becareful that the cathode pin must be inserted right into the cathode of the balance charge socket. Isertion in wrong direction or misallignment should be avoided.

Battery Applicable: 2S ~ 6S Lithium battery
Measuring Voltage : 2.7V ~ 4.5V/cell
Measuring Accuracy :0.01V
Current : dispaly on : 15ma max
Dimensions : 64x19x8mm
Weight : 15g

$7.50

</form>
Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM
SteveM732

Originally Posted by Saito56 View Post
Looks very much like the Watts Up meter, Do you own one of these? Free shipping, makes it over $15 cheaper, and can handle higher readings.
The Watt's Up meter has a higher voltage rating (60 volts) and a lower continuous current rating (50 amps). The continuous current rating is based on the heat generated by the current sense resistor, this is simply a case of one company being conservative while the other rates their product liberally. I think it is more accurate to say the Watt's Up can handle higher readings, or at least just call it an even split if you don't buy my explanation of the current ratings.

The Watt's up can be powered externally for use with measuring low voltage packs and records a variety of minimum and maximum values that can be very useful in some situations.

And if you care, the Watt's Up meter is made and supported by a USA company.

Money doesn't grow on any trees around here so we all have to decide for ourselves which product best meets our needs and budget.

http://www.tahmazo.com/products/catalogue/62
http://www.rc-electronics-usa.com/am...ter-specs.html

Last edited by SteveM732; 04-07-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-07-2009, 05:52 PM
RoadKingAl
RoadKingAl

Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
The Watt's Up meter has a higher voltage rating (60 volts) and a lower continuous current rating (50 amps). The continuous current rating is based on the heat generated by the current sense resistor, this is simply a case of one company being conservative while the other rates their product liberally. I think it is more accurate to say the Watt's Up can handle higher readings, or at least just call it an even split if you don't buy my explanation of the current ratings.

The Watt's up can be powered externally for use with measuring low voltage packs and records a variety of minimum and maximum values that can be very useful in some situations.

And if you care, the Watt's Up meter is made and supported by a USA company.

Money doesn't grow on any trees around here so well all have to decide for our selves which product best meets our needs and budget.

http://www.tahmazo.com/products/catalogue/62
http://www.rc-electronics-usa.com/am...ter-specs.html
Why I own one also
Old 04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post

Thanks,, I'm going to give it a try. Talked to them at Advantage and they are Great to talk to. Very informative and nice.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Saito56

I asked, and I received the answer's that I needed concerning a watt meter.

As a beginner in electrics, and only using small motor esc combos, the $12 meter would probably have done the job.

But as everything in this hobby of ours, not only in electrics, but glow and gas planes, we tend to outgrow stuff, and get bigger and better planes and equipment.
The odds are that with time I will get into larger motor and ESC combos, and that means larger props, and a Watt meter would be almost a must.

The Whatt Meter, is the most popular, and can handle more than the $12 unit can.

But, the third choice also can handle more than the $12 unit, and I think that I will order the unit from Advantage!

In any case, I will be able to learn to use this tool, and in the long run, one saved motor or ESC will pay for this unit. It's not like running a .46 size two stroke, where there is just one or two size props to use, and that's it. There is so much more into electrics, the whole package has to work together and the only way to know is to have a watt meter.