Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

$100 Twin Build Contest RF-15 Reporter (P-61 Recon variant)

Old 09-30-2014, 01:00 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
A lot more complicated and fussy than I'd planned. I have more hours into the nose gear than I spent making the fuselage and nacelle molds and I still have to do the door closing mechanism!
Yeah that's a real fun time! Almost tore hair out on the Comet, and didn't go the electronic sequencer route. What ended up working well was using a Kyosho light spring action limit switch and a rod connected to the retract servo, that would activate the switch. With an adjustable E-Z link setup I could set the door servo to fire from the limit switch, just when the nose gear was almost fully retracted. It was a very sensitive, hair trigger mechanism to adjust. It got really interesting, since it had to both shut the door servo off when the retract was almost fully extended also, so that it would not come on again until the door was almost closed, but then keep energized until the door was almost fully open again, or the servo wouldn't have enough time to open the door on the next "open" cycle. Your post got me thinking about it, and I actually had to look it all up, to remember what I did. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...8&postcount=68

My thoughts: go with an electronic sequencer
Old 09-30-2014, 02:00 AM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

I'm running OpenTx firmware on a Frsky Taranis. Just about anything you can think of can be programmed in. Gear door sequencing in the Tx was one of the reasons I went to open source firmware a couple years ago.

The problem is the extra channels. Only 8 analog channels are available without using sbus servos or adapters. So, I'd like to keep the total to 8 channels.

A gear sequencer would save a channel by operating the main gear doors with the retracts. I'll still need an extra channel for the steering.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Pmullen503 Your doing a Awesome job on your build I know the build is taking longer than expected, do you think you will be able to get her flying by the 1st of Oct, if not , i can take you off the contest build and let you finish it in Peace Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 09-30-2014, 05:51 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Nope, sadly this will not fly by the contest deadline. I hope to get it airborne before the snow flies and finish it up over the winter.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:15 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

I'm running OpenTx firmware on a Frsky Taranis. Just about anything you can think of can be programmed in. Gear door sequencing in the Tx was one of the reasons I went to open source firmware a couple years ago.

The problem is the extra channels. Only 8 analog channels are available without using sbus servos or adapters. So, I'd like to keep the total to 8 channels.

A gear sequencer would save a channel by operating the main gear doors with the retracts. I'll still need an extra channel for the steering.
The transmitter functions sound really interesting Pat. I wasn't aware of the ability to program things like sequential door functions/delays from the unit, and need to get more up to speed with these capabilities. I was pretty proud of myself programming a retract mix the other week on an Eflite Sea Fury, using an old Futaba 7UAPS Super. Even that was a fun time, to say the least.

For the steering, you could always cheat like I sometimes do and connect it to the aileron function. I know it's not exactly scale, but it seems for more comfortable on the ground than using the left stick, for whatever reason.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

That's a great idea about putting the steering on the aileron channel, I never thought of that.

You can actually run open source firmware on your computer to try it out without even having a transmitter. There is a pretty steep learning curve for some folks. If you have any programming experience it makes perfect sense. You have inputs (sticks, switches, telemetry readings, etc.) You have channels (what you connect servos or ESCs to on your receiver) and you have the mixer in between that takes the inputs, performs functions on them (limits, curves, expo, mixes, delays, slows, and logical functions) and then sends the resulting signal to whatever channel you assign. Voice warnings or sounds can also be activated if you have the hardware to support it.

Nothing is pre-programmed so nothing is limited.

Go to openRCforums for links to the firmware (openTx or ER9x) and the simulator (Companion or eepe).
Old 10-27-2014, 07:11 PM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

pmullin, any progress on this incredible model?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:09 AM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Still messing with the %#&$ gear doors when I left! I've been away on business for a couple weeks but I'll be home in a another week and back to work. I've decided to use a servo for the nose gear doors just like the mains. I need the extra channel anyway for the mains and that gets the troublesome mechanical closer out of the way if I need to move the batteries forward.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Still messing with the %#&$ gear doors when I left! I've been away on business for a couple weeks but I'll be home in a another week and back to work. I've decided to use a servo for the nose gear doors just like the mains. I need the extra channel anyway for the mains and that gets the troublesome mechanical closer out of the way if I need to move the batteries forward.
I hear you. I think I had more time in the Comet nose gear door mechanism than all the mechanisms combined in the Dayton Wright RB1. It has an individual door servo also, and the mechanism used to toggle the door servo power supply wire is a story in itself. Hopefully those nice transmitter programmable features you have can help you avoid some of those issues.