Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

$50.00 Scratch Build Contest Entry - F7F Tigercat

Old 11-15-2013, 12:58 AM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

It's not as bad as I had feared. The tall tail and low slung nacelles help keep orientation. I had planned a scale scheme that had the underside of the nose, tail, and cowls painted red. I'm now leaning toward the all navy blue scheme.

The decals were easy. I printed them in reverse on the back of sticker liner, covered the front with the white packing tape, and cut them out. Very few curves to cut!

Last edited by pmullen503; 11-16-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:30 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Nice
Old 11-16-2013, 06:20 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Super nice Build and flight

Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Bind blowing craftsmanship, just on another level!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:10 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Voted...my favorite appearance....... Excellent craftsmanship!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Voted...my favorite appearance....... Excellent craftsmanship!
Thanks pizzano,

And thanks to everyone else for their kind and encouraging comments.

There were several excellent builds in this contest. I'm having a hard time picking my favorite!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Tsavah
Watt Waster

Default Foam F7F Tigercat Build

An excellent job building from foam board and I am sure lots of folks picked up a few construction details along the way. Well documented build thread. It appeared to me the performance of the finished RC aircraft was excellent. Wonderful subject I hope I can do a copy of in the not too distant future. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:03 PM
Scotty68
Long time rookie

Very cool!
Old 08-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Scotty68
Long time rookie

I sure wish I had your building talent.....and patience. Super nice work!
Old 08-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Scotty68
Long time rookie

Okay, I know you can't see me but right now I am bowing to your mad skills. High fives all around. The more I read the more impressed I am...and the pictures? Damn man, I am so jealous. I'll keep reading.....
Old 08-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Scotty68
Long time rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Well, here she is ready to maiden.

I burned the midnight oil and force dried the primer to get the color on. The paint is still soft and it will stay that way for a long time in my unheated shop! The final AUW came out to a portly 52 oz. All that high build primer and paint added around 8 oz! I'm really tempted to wet sand it off and start over, maybe this spring (paint should be dry by then!) I'm kicking myself for not checking the weight added by the high build primer, I would have skipped the panel lines. I have some beautiful decals from Callie Graphics but I won't apply those until I see how she flies. (I'm also tempted to build a new fuselage of the smaller fin version. It really wouldn't take that long and I could use a lighter battery.)

The cowls are attached with screws instead of magnets because of the lost order from RCtimer. Getting those installed in the deep cowls took 45 minutes and was accompanied by much "colorful" language on my part!

The WL is a little over 16 oz/sq ft which isn't terrible, but not exactly a floater. Total thrust is a somewhere around 60 oz. at 28 amps with counter rotating APC 9x6 props.

I'm hoping for light winds at dawn tomorrow.
Absolutely amazing post! Shows me just how sloppy and inadequate my building skills are. I truly stand in awe of the master builder that is pmullen503! You sir are a steely eyed missile man! Who actually won this contest if I may ask?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Scotty68 View Post
Absolutely amazing post! Shows me just how sloppy and inadequate my building skills are. I truly stand in awe of the master builder that is pmullen503! You sir are a steely eyed missile man! Who actually won this contest if I may ask?
Thank you for the kind comments.

IIRC, it did get the most votes for appearance. Though there were some other really nice planes in the contest.

My methods actually compensate for my lack of traditional building skill prowess. Check out some of quorneng's builds to see real skill with foam - crazy good.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Scotty68
Long time rookie

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Thank you for the kind comments.

IIRC, it did get the most votes for appearance. Though there were some other really nice planes in the contest.

My methods actually compensate for my lack of traditional building skill prowess. Check out some of quorneng's builds to see real skill with foam - crazy good.
Well maybe traditional building is obsolete? Because to a novice like myself, the stuff you are doing is AMAZING, not just the end result but the whole process is very cool. I can't believe how much effort you put into making the canopy for that twin you entered in the fifty dollar build contest, I think that's what it was called. I like to build, and have done a fair amount of it.....I'm just not very good at it. So it is a pleasure to see what a real modeler is accomplishing. I will definitely look at the IIRC, and also check out quorneng's builds, thanks for that. Also, your build posts are very nicely laid out and descriptive. It makes it a lot easier for us lesser beings to follow along but without being so technical that we end up sitting in the corner twirling our fingers through our hair. : )
Thanks again, keep up the fantastic work, I look forward to your next project.
Scott