Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Space Shuttle Depron Foam 64mm EDF - Scratch

Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs down National Disgrace!

CBS News was able to do an interview with a former US Astronaut who says it very well.......he is Angry and very Disappointed!
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...-heartstrings/

Also, Mark e-mailed me and said these words......(Mark is a "former" Space Worker who stuffed Space Shuttle Lockers full of many types of equipment for the crews):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith and I got out on beach road just east of the runway,at 615 AM...we watched in silence as 23 years of work and dedication drifted north to its final home.

They took an excellent spacecraft that was currently flying and turned it into some sort of monument of what we had, but may never see again in our lifetime.

Once you have disassembled a space program,it will be a matter of time when more gets cut,until there is nothing left...

Mark
===============================================
Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Dad indeed Mark,

I lived in Cocoa in '78 after graduating from UF. Had a girl freind from Cocoa Beach who's step Dad was a full bird Col. Got us in for a VIP seat for the Voyager probe launch. Very cool. Wish I had seen an Apollo luanch with the Saturn 5. I heard from the locals that it was amazing. CB was a hopping place back then. Did some project work in the VAB. Of course, this was pre-shuttle days. Remember some of the foreign country sattelite launches that the mainstream media never really covered. Later, circa 80-81, after moving to Milwaukee, I worked on a Rockwell project when they were building the shuttle engines. Was programming machining centers to mill titanium fuel cell parts.

Sad to see us lose our mojo for space exploration. Some much great technology has evolved from these programs.

BTW, your RC Shuttle looks fantastic !

-Hawk
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I guess I'm pretty fortunate. I got to see several launches (I lived in Orlando 7 years), including John Glenn's return to space night launch (night launches were the best!).

I also got to see one of them piggyback on the 747 when it stopped at Davis-Monthan back in 1990.

Sad to see this program come to an end.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:12 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Well,

It looks like another outfit is trying its best to bring another model to market.

http://sawn-craft.com/products/space-shuttle-kit
Old 09-08-2014, 03:22 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Well,

It looks like another outfit is trying its best to bring another model to market.

http://sawn-craft.com/products/space-shuttle-kit

"Since 1958" ? I've never heard of them! I didn't know dollar-tree foam has been around for 40 years!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:05 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
"Since 1958" ? I've never heard of them! I didn't know dollar-tree foam has been around for 40 years!

Ha!

Yeah, I kind of glossed over that, just excited about "any" new Space Shuttle Model, period.

A little about this company......yes, since 1958, I was born one year later!!!! So, now you know!!!

http://sawn-craft.com/about
Old 09-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Porcia83

If I may...a little more background on these folks. It's a father son team, with the father having started years ago. Both are members of local clubs, and I believe Dad is an officer of a club in Ellington,CT...NCRCC. A great group of guys up there.

Jonathan is the owner and currently specializes in the ultra micro style planes, specifically the F-22 and F-16. The F-22 is a blast to fly...slow enough for indoors, strong enough for outdoors too!

Both usually fly at our electric events, and last year convinced us to do a noontime combat demo, which turned out to be a hit. We did it again this year, with 3 of our members partaking in addition to their folks. In fact, I bought my first foamy combat ship from the dad.

There are a few rare, and pretty damn cool planes they made and flew. One was this giant space shuttle. Can't remember the exact size, but it's a few feet long/wide. Most unique profile aircraft I've seen. I believe he's working on a small size too. Dad also flew an F-111 profile (which I've never seen done in a model before), as well as a B-58 Hustler. Both exceptionally done.

Oh, and dad is pretty handy at auto mechanics...he might have fixed something on my wife's car that she's had been bugging me to fix for months. Took him about 4 minutes.

I've purchased from both of them and have no reservations about doing so again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sport18.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	177330   Click image for larger version

Name:	sport20.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	177331  
Old 09-11-2014, 12:41 AM
Porcia83

Here is the combat ship he built for me. He gets the credit for the build, I get the blame for the cover scheme.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	combat1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	177332  
Old 09-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Porcia83

ha..just hit the link to the item and saw he used my pics! Nice!
Old 09-11-2014, 12:52 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
If I may...a little more background on these folks. It's a father son team, with the father having started years ago. Both are members of local clubs, and I believe Dad is an officer of a club in Ellington,CT...NCRCC. A great group of guys up there.

Jonathan is the owner and currently specializes in the ultra micro style planes, specifically the F-22 and F-16. The F-22 is a blast to fly...slow enough for indoors, strong enough for outdoors too!

Both usually fly at our electric events, and last year convinced us to do a noontime combat demo, which turned out to be a hit. We did it again this year, with 3 of our members partaking in addition to their folks. In fact, I bought my first foamy combat ship from the dad.

There are a few rare, and pretty damn cool planes they made and flew. One was this giant space shuttle. Can't remember the exact size, but it's a few feet long/wide. Most unique profile aircraft I've seen. I believe he's working on a small size too. Dad also flew an F-111 profile (which I've never seen done in a model before), as well as a B-58 Hustler. Both exceptionally done.

Oh, and dad is pretty handy at auto mechanics...he might have fixed something on my wife's car that she's had been bugging me to fix for months. Took him about 4 minutes.

I've purchased from both of them and have no reservations about doing so again.
That shuttle flew nice I was watching it when I was at your club event this summer. I didn't know at the time he was cutting these for sale until I saw this thread.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Sawn Craft
AMA #415

Hi guys; I just stumbled on this post!

Here is the story with Sawn Craft: My grandfather started the business back when he was making full-size boats. He was an avid modeler as well and he developed many products, most popular and still around are his field boxes. The logo was taken directly from his original artwork. I (Jonathan Sawn) utilized (and logo) the name as a way to continue the legacy of my grandfather. Now, working with my father, I design and manufacture all of the products on my site.

As for the my shuttle, the one that I flew at the electric event was my prototype. Since I've returned from NEAT I have been working on it to get it into production form. Right now I'm estimating that I'll have it available on the site for purchase by the first week of October!

The "big" shuttle is 35" span and is a large aircraft! I prototyped a micro shuttle based off the same general design over the winter that used a 2S brushless system, so that might be coming online this winter as well.

If you have any questions please let me know; I'd love to hear them!
Old 10-21-2021, 04:25 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Calling ALL Space Shuttle RC Model Lovers!

Okay, presently I am thinking of risking this model of mine and bring it down from where it is stored and fly it again.

However, I am looking to see about a new EDF Power System and presently Freewing just released (through MotionRC) a 70mm EDF Jet known as the Vulcan of 41.3 inch wing span.

I am considering ordering the exact power system for the Space Shuttle model that I have.
Here is the Vulcan 4S by Freewing:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...GTeOEai.LUYCSB

My goals is to use the same power system that they are using in the Vulcan with the 12-Blade Fan Unit and Inrunner BL Motor:
https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...9-2850kv-e7215

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 10-21-2021, 04:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

EDF's seem to have come on a lot recently.

The FMS ..... QX-motor and Powerfun - seem to have good power to weight ratios.

I was a great 'fan' of the Haoye range with high KV motors .... but they pale against these.

May be worth a look ..... Banggood have good range of them - incl Freewing.

https://www.banggood.com/Freewing-70...6&rmmds=search

Freewing :
Specification:
Model: E7215
Motor: 2850KV
Thrust (g): 1500-1600
Current (A): 55-60A
Use voltage (V): 14.8 (4S)
Use ESC (A): 60A
Weight of Ducted fan: 180g
Power (w): 880
Power ratio (g/w): 1.76

Powerfun :
https://www.banggood.com/Powerfun-ED...r_warehouse=CN

etc.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:54 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
EDF's seem to have come on a lot recently.

The FMS ..... QX-motor and Powerfun - seem to have good power to weight ratios.

I was a great 'fan' of the Haoye range with high KV motors .... but they pale against these.

May be worth a look ..... Banggood have good range of them - incl Freewing.

Yes indeed! EDF Power Units have come a long way and hopefully materials improvement as well.

MotionRC (USA distributor) is presently out of stock on the 4S 70mm Freewing EDF and I have decided to wait until they get it back in-stock.

Thanks for your reply.