Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Space Shuttle Depron Foam 64mm EDF - Scratch

Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Exclamation Control Horn Hardware!

Guys,

Other Dubro hardware that came with this model was some really small yet very light Control Surface "HORNS" and these just go in with glue. I am use to control horns that come with screws and back plates! Those tinny tiny plastic control horns went quickly to the Garbage!

I took my Control horn hardware from a "used" StarMax F5-E EDF Jet:

Here is the final Product, I just love back plates and metal screws, it is worth the weight for piece of mind!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:28 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Post Air Intake Forming!

Okay, now for the creative stuff!

Since I had decided to make a "Duct" for this model to make it as close as possible to "other" EDF Jets such as the F-86 and others then, I really had to pay the Tax man and go at it like I really mean it and I did!

Since I had removed the Lower Frontal Section of this model for the Steerable nose Wheel then, I went to create formers / bulk heads to force (Direct) the Air Flow into the FUSE and in order to do this was by creating directional bulk heads with this Crew Cabin!

Closeup of Directional "Air" Bulk Heads Showing it all complete with the Extension for the Nose Wheel Steering servo:

Old 09-28-2010, 05:32 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Post More Progress from September 27th, 2010

Speaking of Nose Wheel Steering, here is two pictures of the complete assembly!

Another problem I had was the tiny rectangle base for the Main Fixed Landing Gear, that Black Foam will rip in a Heart Beat should you come in a little hard "or" at the first hard landing so, I cut out some 1/32nd quality Light Plywood rectangle from Mid-West products. Oh, you can see the final Elevon Setup as well.

Final Main Landing Gear Setup, notice my custom wire and wheels from GWS (1.5 inch diameter).

Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Post Sept. 27th, 2010 Progress!

I did run up the provided Freewing 64mm EDF unit and liked the way it spooled up and the power it had thereby, I went ahead and decided to install it and worked on the "DUCT" some more by providing foam standoffs at the bottom of the FUSE as shown.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:40 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Post Wee Early morning Hours of Sept. 27th, 2010 Progress!

I got some funny stares from those at the local Publix where Shopping is a Pleasure because I went hunting for the Perfect size, shape and Length Bottle Watter Bottle to make my actual "DUCTING" between the Frontal Bulk head and the Frontal end of the Fan Unit. I am glad I decided to go to Publix because they had all kinds of selections and the best was Publix brand 1.5 Liter long Bottle which was a little larger then 3 inch diameter! A few pictures showing the two bottles with the hard plastic BUT ends still attached:

Notice the Castle Creations Thunderbird 54-AMP ESC is inside the DUCT TUBE!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Post Wee Early morning hours Sept. 27th, 2010 Progress!

Now for the Electronics, I did use the Provided FreeWing 45-AMP ESC just to setup all servos and nose Wheel Steering during the earlier modifications and setups but, I found the FreeWing unit very very heavy so, I decided to perform a Weigh-In session to see exactly how heavy the provided FreeWing ESC was against my own Castle Creations Thunderbird 54-AMP and the differences was significant!

FreeWing 45-AMP ESC (A whopper of 2 3/8 oz)

Here is Castle Creations ThunderBird 54-AMP ESC with Dimension Engineering ParkBEC and Harness and Connectors (Just a mere 2 5/8 oz)

For those curious on the weight of the Castle Creations ESC by itself:

For those curious on the weight for the ParkBEC itself:[/size]

Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Post Wee Early morning Sept. 27th, 2010 Progress!

The modifications to this EDF Foam "As-Is" Space Shuttle that was given to me from Gerry are complete less the securing of the "DUCT" and therefore installation of the Dimension Engineering ParkBEC.

Here is a wide angle picture from above:

In this picture, you can see the EDF Fan unit through the FUSE openings I made!

Our friends who fly the Space Shuttle has a sign, what does it say?

Some ground pictures:

Old 09-28-2010, 05:55 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Video of my nose wheel Steeriong Modification!

VIDEO OF MY NOSE WHEEL STEERING MODIFICATION!

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/15317740[/media]
Old 09-28-2010, 05:59 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Post New Batteries for Saddle Bag Arrangement!

Guys,

I am going to take it a little slower on this one.

I am very interested to fly this mode considering all the modifiations I have done on it but, like my buddy, Gerry always has said,

NO WINE BEFORE IT's TIME

I am targeting for this coming Sunday morning to fly this model off smooth hard surface.

I say this because I almost got in my car after coming home from work to buy two new 2-Cell Li-POLYs to see if I can fly on Tuesday morning but, logistics and timing about having my Sky Bro (Gerry) to come to Orlando in the middle of the week and coupled that I need a saddle bag approach to setup two Li-POLYs packs to balance the model because of the "DUCT" then, I have decide not to go and purchase some over priced cells that maybe beyond what I need for this EDF Power System.

Instead, I stayed home and opened my e-mail and found one from Esprit Model who are located right here in Plam Bay, Florida and have some very competitive prices on their new line of Li-POLY batteries and I just ordered two (2-Cell EM Sport EM2200's capable of 25C discharge! Best yet, I did not have to fight late afternoon traffic and burn Gasoline!

Here is the link:
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=9416

Old 09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Thumbs up

Hi Carlos
Outstanding
Its quite marvelous Your doing a wonderful job on her
Take care
Hank
Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Post Recent Progress, Evening of Sept. 27th, 2010

The Crew said lets have Decals as a minimum and so, I applied most of them that came in with the Model.

I believe the Crew Commander is Happy!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:04 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Nice work so far Carlos! She's coming along nicely.

However, there are a couple of issues that stand out to me:

1. Stance. As it is now, she has a nose down stance when sitting on the ground. This may give you problems when trying to rotate on takeoff. This problem may also be enhanced by the fact that the mains are behind the CG point. In my opinion, I think you should shorten the main gear by at least 1" or more. I know that a nose down attitude is scale, but it may prevent you from getting airborne.

2. Intake duct. The ridges on those bottles are going to play heck with the air, making it very turbulent and robbing your fan of power. I would seriously take a look at that before flying.

3. Intake inlet holes. I don't think you have enough opening in the nose to meet minimum FSA requirements. Not only will the ridged bottles turbulate the air, but the fan will probably starve for air as well.

Hope you get it sorted. I'd love to see this baby in the air!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Exclamation Airflow Testing!

The stance will be okay as I moved the Main's much forward than the recommended location and the mains are exactly one inch behind the Center-of-Gravity which "is" 8.5 inches from the AFT Bulk-Head.

The plastic bottles are ridged (very good observation) but, I need them to be as they gain in strength and will be harder for them to collaspe inward in case I go Full Throttle I will lose a little in smooth flow but, will not have a situation like an ugly collaspe of the "DUCT" which will mean the end of the Motor at those RMPs. I may opt to insert a smooth liner of some sort from Over-Head Projector slides!!!

You are very correct about the existing holes! I am fixing the technical issue as I type this and like to share a Video I just made early this evening about exactly what you pointed out. I will certainly starve the EDF of airflow.

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/15375173[/media]

Last edited by guapoman2000; 09-29-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Wing Airfoil Testing!

Okay, here is some additional VIDEO of the results of having an AIRFOIL form on the wing instead of a FLAT PLATE like it came!

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/15377426[/media]
Old 09-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Nice progress Carlos. Thanks for up-dating.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Exclamation Wing Airfoil Testing!

Okay, here is some additional VIDEO of the results of having an AIRFOIL form on the wing instead of a FLAT PLATE!

http://www.vimeo.com/15377426

I am still working on the Solution to the Airflow into the "DUCT" issue and it is an easy fix just needs time!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:32 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Smile Enhancements to the EDF Airflow issue!

I really gave it my all on this Space Shuttle and studied and experimented with the ongoing (Oh, you don't have enough Airflow, "or" Oh, you have ribbed Ducting") which I really like to thank all for these comments as I feel that the model has really reached it's final stages!

Using the Hair Dyer and those Yellow Party Streamers really made things easy to witness and determine "Air" flow dynamics and the rest for solving was done on the fly!

First, let me post the pictures of those modifications that I found after careful study to solve "or" enhance the EDF Airflow isssue:

Using 1/32nd Birch Plywood, and some triangle balsa stock a angle catcher was inserted at the bottom frontal nose section!

During off Video experimentation by placing my hand in a curved manner over the Top Frontal area the Airflow inside the "DUCT" significantly increased so....I went ahead and cut out two additional Holes on Top of the Frontal Nose plus installed another catcher!

Old 09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Video showing the Enhanced EDF Inlet Air Flow!

Okay, we have reached yet another VIDEO showing the action of the Enhanced EDF Inlet Airflow after the modifications and using the Hair Dryer and Yellow Party Streamers!

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/15383458[/media]
Old 09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default The new Looks and Drag!

Guys,

For those that do not like the new look, I agree but, I want this Space Shuttle Flying with the "DUCT" as in many expert EDF Web Sites and even EDF discussion threads have admitted that using a "DUCT" is much more efficient.

The fact that I have increased the Drag is perhaps not an issue to me here as this is a Space Shuttle and I am aiming for slow, scale dynamic flight and nowhere the speeds of a typical EDF "JET" so, we all will soon see what works

Waiting for the new EM-Sport batteries from Esprint Model.

Carlos
Old 09-29-2010, 04:48 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Unhappy Hair Dryer is static

I was pointed out this morning by my good Buddy at work that:
================================================
The hair dryer test is trying to "push" air into an inert opening...the angle of entry to the holes affects the outcome.

However in operation, the EDF will actually "PULL" air into the duct, therefore allowing the model to operate even at different angles of attack.

That's why the original design also worked(air coming in thru the payload bay door openings), although at worse efficiency and performance.
===============================================

Oh well, I believe that I got caught up with this Airflow thingy too much!

Should have left it alone.

I will taxi test using the Deflectors!

Carlos
Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

subscribed! your doing a fine job, and i can't wait to see the flight vids!
oh, by the way, listen to crxmanpat and alpea... they know their stuff!!! lol!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Carlos,

While it is true that the fan will be pulling air in through the holes and you will get positive airflow to the fan, I still say the fan would be starved (in your original configuration) as it would not get enough air into those holes.

I like what you've done with the mods to the nose, however you may be able to get away with doing away with the top scoop. The combination of the bottom scoop and just the 6 inlet holes on top may give you enough air to the fan. It will also help the nose look better.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing a maiden video when I get back from a fly-in this weekend.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up

Pat and others!

Thanks so much for your insight and experiences!

I am certainly new to EDF and man O man is it a science within itself!

Okay, so....I may opt to remove the Deflector on the Top Nose where the Reactive Control System (RCS) Jets are located on the Full Size Space Shuttle to allow for a better looking Space Shuttle instead of some kind of Atomic Duck gone bad!

Yeah! It is almost Crunch Time!! (I do not mean towards the model just for me to finally get Her Done!)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

"Atomic Duck gone bad". The movie Howard the Duck just suddenly sprang to mind!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 AM
bruff

I would still also remove the duct. The original method provided more than enough air to fly the Shuttle very well. Just install a inlet lip on the fan.
Bob

Quick Reply: Space Shuttle Depron Foam 64mm EDF - Scratch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13843 seconds with 11 queries