Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Space Shuttle Depron Foam 64mm EDF - Scratch

Old 10-02-2010, 03:29 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

info I am done!

I can say that I have completed my deal with Gerry and finished this model with the upmost respect as the real size vehicle should have and especially with it's ending Program soon.

I hope that all my modifications and trial and errors would help someone in the Future to tackle this kind of project.

I am complete and completely Satisfied.

Carlos Out
Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 PM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Carlos,
can you do another video with a cameraman following the model as it rolls out on take off and lands?? I'm sure we would all like to see that.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Awesome Carlos Great Job, the space shuttle looked great in the air Take care and Have fun, Chellie
Old 10-03-2010, 06:54 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Awesome Carlos Great Job, the space shuttle looked great in the air Take care and Have fun, Chellie
Chellie

Thank you for your comments, really appreciate.

Carlos
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Yeah.. very well done. The shuttle seems to fly well. I'm sure you would get a bit more thrust if you put some 'cheater holes' in the sides/bottom of the fuselage just ahead on the motor but having said that it looked like you had more than enough thrust for flight anyway.

Love to see a video tracking the model during flight.

Steve
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up 2nd Flight Summay and Pictures!

2nd Flight Summary:

With the re-adjusted Center-Of-Gravity and nothing else changed from the last modification update, the model flew much better and stable with good air-speed. This model is fast and really not Park Flyer type as the landings have to be with power in order to keep those ailerons effective to keep the Space Shuttle model aligned with the targetted touch down area and path. Look at the landing picture and you can see a good amount of Right Aileron input!

She lands like the Full Size and flops on the nose wheel and it is really cool to look at!

Thank to David Hart for the following Pictures!

Rolling to take-Off

Rotation with nose up

Coming In for Landing!

Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

AWESOME! Congratulations!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 AM
babylon5

Congratulations! on your maiden. take care.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 AM
park
Clear !

Pretty Coooollll !!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Thumbs up

Hi Carlos
Outstanding
Congratulations
She looks wonderful in flight
You did and exemplary job with her
I tip my hat too you sir
Thanks ever so much for sharing her with us
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 10-05-2010, 04:46 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Thank you!

Good People,

Thank you all for following my adventures with this model.

Allow me to give you a little background on this project as a few at Kennedy Space Center, Engineers and Technicians that have worked for many years with the Full Size Space Shuttles and who are involved with RC Airplane modeling have always envisioned to see see a scale Flying RC Space Shuttle model. Well, one very experienced and senior Engineer made it possible and with his talent and determination developed the plans and leg work to be able to make this happen, a scale Flying RC Space Shuttle model. In the beginning it was my high hopes that the final version of the model would be at least a mold process after some experimentation with materials such as Depron sheets just to see if the concepts of flight were ironed out. (Exactly what you see today)

Unfortunately, because of my very blunt manner of providing my opinions at another RC Discussion Thread site the owner of the outfit who made this particular model lost complete communication with the designer (NASA Engineer) whom provided many hours of his time and personal funds to see what you see flying today as far as an RC flying Space Shuttle model. Most unfortunate.

In any regard, Life moves on and I am hoping that the Original concept designer and any new members of this project who worked and some still work at Kennedy Space Center have decided to move on to the next phase, I am just hoping here!

This model is one of the first "raw" experimental runs and it is my hopes of hopes that those who Love this model and modeling will see about making a few more but, using some solid foam sections and Airfoil.

It is my wish that those whom are the original design conceptors 'and' who still strive for a better scale looking Space Shuttle RC Flying model have decided to provide a better scale look now that we now know it can fly much better with an Airfoil, again my high hopes!

Carlos

Last edited by guapoman2000; 10-05-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Spaceshuttle1

Great flight
Great instructions

KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE. !!!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Exclamation Hunting for someone to Video record (Track) the model while in Flight!

I am presently trying to get someone to come out this Thursday morning at the EORCA club and Video record (track) the RC Space Shuttle model while in flight using my Panasonic mini-DV camcorder.

Right now, neither Gerry nor David can come that day so, my only hope is Mark.

Stay tuned.

Carlos
Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Nice photos.. i see now that you added intake holes in the cargo compartment cover.. good thinking!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Tracking Video coming soon!

Okay guys!

I finally made arrangements to have Gerry to meet me super early Saturday morning at EORCA that has the smooth Asphalt Runway to fly the Space Shuttle model again and Gerry will operate my Digital mini-DV "Video" Camcorder!

This is the best I can do as far as arranging someone that has used my Video Equipment before and is just as good of a Video camcorder expert as myself.

I am hoping that the Saturday morning forecast is as good as the Friday's!

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KORL&state=FL

I am happy!

Carlos
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Unique RC Model, you betcha!

People,

I can only tell you that at the RC Club everyone, I mean everyone STOPPED what they were doing to watch my acquired Space Shuttle fly and everyone did not move or set their eyes on anything else until I landed!

A very experience young man of 10 years old that can out fly me said to his Dad at the RC Club:

"Dad can we get a Space Shuttle RC Model like that?"

Old 10-06-2010, 05:48 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Very cool...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Carlos,

Congrats on getting the Shuttle in the air! I would really like to see this project developed further into available kits.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Now that is a Maiden worth the price of admission for sure.

EPIC!

I would have loved to be there when it rotated for the first time, I'd bet you are one proud papa.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Exclamation

Pat and Nitroblast,

You have two options assuming you both are looking for the same 1/36th scale size RC Flying Space Shuttle.

Robert from Electric Jet Factory (EJF) which "is" the company that co-designed and "Built" the one I modified has indicated at the RCUniverse Thread that is may be willing to sell the Cut Up parts and sell it in a "KIT" form.

The other is to register and wait for an new up and coming Design of the same size from this new player
http://www.rcairdesign.com/

Best of luck!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up RC Space Shuttle Main Engines!

RC Space Shuttle Main Engines![/size]
For the past two nights, I have visited Jon Ann Fabris, Michael's Crafts and left empty handed

I had been looking for some foam pieces that could pass for Space Shuttle Main Engines and as it turns out the material had been right underneath my nose all this time! Using discarded water bottles 16oz. type, I was able to cut to shape some very light yet scale looking Main Engines for the Space Shuttle!

Some pictures!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:20 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

:thumbsup:
Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Main engine nozzles look great Carlos!

One suggestion on the new kits. Have you ever rolled depron? I bet with a little practive you could roll out some nice scale bay doors and rear manuevering pods.

What I do is take a piece of foam and place it against my belly (the beer gut comes in handy for something! ), then take some hard rounded material such as a broom hand and "roll" the foam. It's an excellent way to make a curved surface without the "starved horse" look of stringers and foam sheeting.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Thumbs up

Hi Carlos
Outstanding
Thats a mighty fine job on the main exhaust nozzles
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 10-08-2010, 04:57 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up More Progress on the Dress Up!

Pat and Hank,

Thank you for your positive review and encouragement!

Today, I was able progress some more and made main gear doors and nose gear doors. I painted some areas underneath the FUSE "Black" and the new gear doors as well.

I also installed additional Industrial Velcro within the inside of the FUSE (Floor) to allow for more adjustment of the Center-of-Gravity and studied this for 20 minutes until I was completely satisfied that the Center-Of-Gravity was dead On! With the additional weight of the fake Main Engines the batteries had to be moved about 2.5 inches forward.
Again, here's the pictures!

Main Gear door material (3mm Depron and regular injected foam as a standoff).

Nose wheel gear doors

Added more Industrial Velcro and moved the Batteries foward for perfect Center-of-Gravity

Quick Reply: Space Shuttle Depron Foam 64mm EDF - Scratch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14108 seconds with 11 queries