Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Space Shuttle Depron Foam 64mm EDF - Scratch

Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Who is Carols?

Hi Steve,

Glad to see your continued progress and who is Carols?

If you want the NASA Meatball Decals then, please PM or E-mail your address and I will ship a few of different sizes and they are the same as what I applied to my Space Shuttle.

Carlos
Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Stevedots

Default Painting done!

I have an update, the Shuttle is all painted! Here are some photos.

Also, I got those decals today. Thank you very much Carlos!! The NASA 'meatballs' look great! I'll be putting them on the shuttle tonight or tomorrow.

I do have another bit of news. I got a "Raydiowarm" for my transmitter. It works great. I went out today to try it with my Parkzone T-28 and with an outside temperature of 26 degrees the only part of me that wasn't cold was my hands! Anyone in a cold climate that wants to extend there flying season it is a must! I wanted to try it out with the T-28 before using in on something as important as the Shuttle. I did modify it just a little bit. I epoxied a piece of stiff foam to act as a shelf and keep the transmitter from moving inside the raydiowarm. I will have to get some type of anti-fog cloth because the inside did fog a little bit but not enough to prevent me from seeing my transmitter. The only other mod I might do is something to raise up the clear plastic front. At times it would rub against the tops of my thumbs but over all I am delighted at how it worked. You do have to hike up your coat sleeves to about mid forearm to reach in enough but that is not a big deal.

I also have another Shuttle update: I did a taxi test today on my grass field. Like Apollo 13 I'd call it a 'successful failure'. I had no intention of flying the shuttle yet (CG is not perfect yet) and it is a good thing. During my taxi test the nose wheel shaft failed. No damage to the shuttle, I did not even scratch the bottom paint.

I thought that the only "weak" link in the entire shuttle was the nose gear. Last night I cut a "U" shaped groove into the bottom half of the shaft and added a piece of carbon fiber rod. Turns out it snapped about half an inch above the carbon fiber. I do have a nose gear with a metal shaft (and a shock absorber spring in it) so if I can cut that down I may be able to use that.

I'll keep the updates coming since my social life would put you to sleep!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting 001.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	140455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting 002.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	140456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting 003.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	140457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting 004.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	140458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting 005.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	140459  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Raydiowarm.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	140460  
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Stevedots

Default New Nosegear

Here is the new nosegear. I had to cut and redrill the metal nosegear shaft. I would have liked to keep the shock absorber spring in it but it would have made it too long. It took me less time than I thought it would. If I knew it would be this easy I would have used the metal shafted nose gear in the first place....I'm just glad I made the original nosegear mount removable!

Now the only weak link with the Shuttle is the pilot!

It is Friday night so time to take a break and have one (maybe 2 or 3) martinis!

Steve

Name:	New nosegear.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	140472  
Old 12-15-2010, 03:37 AM
Stevedots

She is finally finished, here are some photos.

I hope to have a maiden flight before Christmas and if possable have someone there to take some video. I'll be posting a flight report ASAP!

Thanks All,

Steve

Name:	Finished 001.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	140593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished 002.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	140594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished 003.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	140595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished 004.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	140596  
Old 12-15-2010, 04:49 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Wow!

Steve,

Your Space Shuttle looks much better than mine!!!

Anyway you can tell me how you did the Door Hatch? Or in other words how you made out the outline?

Super job!!!!!

I am very very jealous!

Carlos
Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Steve, that truly is a great looking model. Please get some airborne pics if you can, its gonna look PERFECT.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Stevedots

Default Hatch Graphics

Hello Carlos,

I know you saw this same info in the other thread but I thought I'd repost it here incase anyone is looking for hatch graphics.

It is the NASA stickers from KSC that really makes the shuttle!!!

But for the hatches I copied an image from a photo of Shuttle decals in a plastic model web site. Here is the two images I used. The second one is just a "flip" of the first one. What I did was import the image into a word document (it seemed the easiest to put it into) then I sized it till the entire image was 4 inch across. It may be different for you depending on the height of your painted area. Once it looked about right then I printed on regular paper to test fit it. After a couple of attempts I got the correct size to match the amount of black paint I had on the side of the nose. Then I printed it on self stick printing paper and cut it out with an exacto knife. Once it was cut out I spray painted it black to match the shuttle paint. I also trimmed some of the "tabs" off the top of the hatch so it didn't stick up to close to the "Enterprise" name. You can see the parts I cut off in my photo compaired to the original graphic.

Also because I painted my white area white my self stick printer paper didn't want to stick too good so I put a thin layer of expoy on the back of all my decals except the "real" NASA decals, they stuck much better than the printer paper.

Thanks again for all your help!

Steve

Name:	shuttle graphics 1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	140597   Click image for larger version

Name:	shuttle graphics 1 flipped.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	140598  
Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Stevedots

Thanks Nitro,

I hope to get someone there with me for video so I'll try to get some good stills too.

Steve
Old 12-19-2010, 03:59 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Great Looking Space Shuttle, Steve!

Steve,

Like the community moderator have posted....

You did an excellent job on the paint and overall "Scale" Details on your Space Shuttle and we all need to give you praise for such skill and determination.

My main goal was to fly my model with airfoil instead of the flat wing airfoil as I did see how it flew with the Flat Airfoil and it was just not my taste to force a flat piece of foam, especially a Delta with such a large tail assembly to be thrusted into the wind. Since I was in uncharted territory, I really did not pay too much attention to all the scale details but, I did come up with some neat Main Engine Nozzles at least!

I am interested to see if your Space Shuttle model has the same characteristic of nosing down in turns, especially sharp turns. I had to be prepared in giving mine good amount of UP Elevator to keep it from losing altitude. Of course I did play with the Center-Of-Gravity and perhaps during those flights it may have been a little nose heavy.

In any case, I bid you the best of luck during your maiden of your Space Shuttle and do not worry of any camera around you, just fly and concentrate.

Regards,
Carlos
Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Stevedots

Thanks Carlos,

Had a setback with the weather. We recieved about 2 to 3 inches of snow yesterday (now on the club field) so I have to hope for a warm spell between snow storms to get a maiden flight in anytime soon! Flurries the next few days, one day of sun then another possable snow storm.

Update: Another 18 inches of snow from the recent storm! So unless I can fly off a froze lake it looks like the Shuttle won't get launched until spring!

Steve

Last edited by Stevedots; 12-29-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Space Shuttle Discovery Landing for the last time!

Space Shuttle Discovery Landing for the Last Time on March 9th, 2011 at the Kennedy Space Center's Shuttle Landing Facility.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:18 AM
nz builder

I'ts fun scrolling using the down arrow and blinking fast while looking at this photo sequence.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Glad you enjoyed the Space Shuttle Discovery Pic's!

Hello NZ Builder,

Glad you enjoyed those pictures of Space Shuttle Discovery!

PS
Old 03-12-2011, 02:56 PM
babylon5

very nice picture.Thank you for sharing.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Stevedots

Carlos, more great photos!

Well the New England winter has finally released its grip on our R/C field. Although we still get below freezing temps at night during the day it is almost spring like.

I wanted to test the Shuttle landing gear again to see if it would stand up to the grass field. The new nose gear held up but now one of the main gear snapped. The field, maybe because of the winter freeze and thaw seems like it has more bumps in it than last year.

I did a close to take off speed run and only got about 1/3 of the way down the runway when the right main gear snapped. So now I know I need to have some type of working suspension to absorb the bumps on the grass field. The shuttle was bouncing all over the place so I'm going to replace not only the main gear but also the nose gear.

I ordered this gear from China, made by Windrider they look like they will smooth the bumps but the mains have four wheels instead of the Shuttle's two. I can live with that as long as they smooth out the runway.

I'll post an update as soon as the gear are delivered and I install them!

Steve

Name:	Windrider gear.jpeg
Views:	2044
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	146197  
Old 04-09-2011, 03:27 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Convert Four To Two...

Just disassemble the four truck and move one axle to where the center pivot was on the strut. You may have to
drill the axle diameter larger but this is pretty simple to do instead of mounting the four tire onto your shuttle.
Hey...that's a ten minute do...man :^)
Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Stevedots

Thanks,

Once I get them I'll give it a try.

Steve
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Stevedots

Default Newest Landing Gear

Here is the new gear installed in the "Enterprise". I hope to maiden sometime during the real Space Shuttle mission! I only have to get one of my relatives with a video camera to be there for the maiden flight the same day that the weather and wind is co-operating.

I did follow Flite-Metal's idea and removed two wheels on each of the main gear.

Steve

Name:	New shuttle gear 002.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	147521   Click image for larger version

Name:	New shuttle gear 001.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	147522  

Last edited by Stevedots; 04-29-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Stevedots

Default Shuttle maiden flight!

I finally have maidened the Space Shuttle. I gave up on getting a relative on scene with a video camera but I did get some stills. Sorry the in flight photos weren’t better but next time I’ll get some low flybys.

First I have to thank everyone involved, especially Carlos who without his help I never would have completed the Shuttle or gotten her off the ground. Also the original designer, Richard (I look forward to his next Shuttle Design) and EJF for selling me the parts. Also everyone else who has made suggestions.

Flight report as follows. The configuration of my Shuttle is difference than Carlos’s so I figured there would be changes to make and there are. My first attempt (off grass) she didn’t want to lift off. So like Carlos, I will have to extend the length of the nose wheel to bring the nose up a bit more and get the wings parallel with the runway. On the second run down the runway she hit a bump and that brought the nose up enough for her to catch some air under the wings. Once that happened she took off straight and very smoothly. With that 70 mm ducted fan roaring it sounded like something from NASA! Right after takeoff I noticed she was tail heavy (70 mm fan, larger ESC, metal main gear etc.) so I was flying most of the flight with full down elevator! I cut power to 50% and she was still climbing. Cut it back to 40% and with full down elevator I was able to level her out. I had 60% duel rates and 60% expo because I was paranoid of over control but she seemed rock solid in roll. I’ll probably change my duel rates and expo to have more control in roll and pitch next time. I only flew her twice around the field and brought her down. The landing was very smooth and better than a lot of my other fixed wing landings. The toughest part of the entire flight was keeping full down elevator. That forced me to land and change height with throttle, which is how I should be doing it with all my planes anyway!

So I will be changing my rates and expo, raising the nose and moving my center of gravity forward. Thanks again to Carlos and everyone else involved in this EDF Shuttle!

Here are the specs on the Shuttle, then some photos:

70mm Typhoon EDF 2W-20-75A drive set
High end R/C HET-75A ESC
Hyperion 2200 4S lipo 45C
Metal landing gear with suspension from Windrider #W78LGS (modified from four wheel mains to two wheel)
Weight of Shuttle with battery: 2 lbs 10 oz.
Weight of battery: 9.25 oz
Static ground test, battery at 100% = 895 Watts
80% = 874 Watts
My heart rate during flight….off the scale!!

Steve

Name:	Space Shuttle EDF 001.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	148756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Space Shuttle EDF 002.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	148757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Space Shuttle EDF 003.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	148758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Space Shuttle EDF 004.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	148759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Space Shuttle EDF 005.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	148760  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Space Shuttle EDF 006.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	148761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Space Shuttle EDF 007 cropped.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	148762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Space Shuttle EDF 008 cropped.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	148763  

Last edited by Stevedots; 06-01-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Steve,

Awesome flight report!

Thanks for sharing!

Carlos
Old 06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Space Shuttles Making History!

Good morning All!

Last night NASA rolled its last space shuttle stack and Atlantis out to Pad 39A for its STS-135 mission (Last one for Space Shuttle Program).

Of all the times I have been in the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) and on the launch pads, seeing the Orbiters up close, I never thought of a last time.

Last night was the last time.

From home we could see the roll out on TV and the west side of the VAB, it rolled out the VAB east side.

The last time a space shuttle will be on the launch pad…

Also, super early this morning, I witnessed Space Shuttle Endeavour’s last landing. It crossed the equator before landing! At 28 degrees north latitude, the equator is a long way from here in a jet aircraft! It was approaching at the speed of a rocket! The twin sonic booms sounded like my neighbors fired two large cannons in rapid fire and the sound rolled for a long time over the river such as loud thunder clap does.

Once Endeavour landed on the runway you could see the Auxiliary Power Units (APUs) still firing and this can be seen in the NASA Landing APU picture attached.

It was helpful in seeing Endeavour for my last time as a powered up space ship.

The next time we see Endeavour it will be a museum piece.

And it is another beautiful day to be alive!

Happy day to you all!
Carlos

Space Shuttle Atlantis Roll-Out to Launch Pad for the Last Time!

Space Shuttle Endeavour’s last landing

Last edited by guapoman2000; 06-02-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default WOW

Hey all,
That has to be the neatest thread on this whole forum. Like a good boook I could not stop reading. As a fan of anything Space the only words that come to mind are WOW thats awesome
Thanks for the interesting read
Fishbonez
Old 06-02-2011, 05:35 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Hey all,
That has to be the neatest thread on this whole forum. Like a good boook I could not stop reading. As a fan of anything Space the only words that come to mind are WOW thats awesome
Thanks for the interesting read
Fishbonez

You are most welcomed!

Hope you enjoyed my Videos of my Space Shuttle RC Model.

Take care!
Carlos
Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I really did enjoy those videos. I just kept waiting for the sonic boom that is how realistic it seemed to me
Way cool man
Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Stevedots

Thanks Carlos,

Great photos of Atlantis and of Endeavor's landing. Too bad they are being retired before their time but I think aviation history will remember them for all their great abilities.

Thanks also for your inspiration from your personal "Space Shuttle" and all the work you have done at KSC!

Steve

Quick Reply: Space Shuttle Depron Foam 64mm EDF - Scratch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14988 seconds with 35 queries