Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Thoughts on our next contest

Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Default Thoughts on our next contest

Gents,

Any thoughts or ideas on what we should do for our next contest?

I am open to all ideas. Everything is on the table so lets hear them and we can discuss.

My first thought is an AP contest, but a AV contest with "wildlife" as a theme sounds pretty cool.

The floor is yours...
Old 11-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Yakfishingfool

How about a tunnel contest. Tunnel of tree's or mangroves or branches or corrugated tubes...just a thought.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:09 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

what about a speed contest? i'm considering my second build this winter will be a nano shark. it is built up balsa plane meant for speed. lets set no boundaries on cost but rather a dopplered speed or radar gun run to record speeds attained. also a plane built out of balsa,foam whatever material but built in 2015. i personally think the nano shark will get flown more then my pusher props since its a traditional front mount motor so a hand launch will be easy.

just a thought. i guess just because i have a 3000kv and 80 amp plush wanting to get used in the workshop...lol.

opps......thought build contest.....my bad. its no fun videoing nature at 100mph+

Last edited by tobydogs; 12-01-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:43 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Well fellas - there ain't many tunnels around out here - and the ones that are around I wouldn't want to fly anything through - unless you want to see it on the 6 o'clock news (Man - Woman - Child hit by Drone in tunnel where it didn't belong!!) and I stopped even looking at blurry footage a long time ago so the speed part is out for me too!! LOL!!

I think more in terms of what can be done by everyone that is a little challenging, but doesn't require much. Plane, quad, camera - go! LOL!!

How about 30 seconds of REGULAR speed flight without any man made objects in sight? In other words - no hovering! Must be moving at at least 10 mph (for planes that would be way too slow - in most cases!).

Or - how about circling (or video from at least two DIFFERENT directions) something unusual. Anything, but something not usually seen by most folks. Perhaps something that is common place where you are, but is not normally seen by anyone but those in the "know" that know it's there?

How about keeping pace with any other moving object other than a bird (I'm not sure about other places but it is illegal here to "chase" birds), but it might be anything else. And no - it does not need to be a car or truck but it could be as long as it is done safely!

How about two landings - at different sites - need only be a few hundres paces apart - but totally different.

Well there's a few suggestions to get things started. LOL!!

Toby - doppler wouldn't work FROM the aircraft anyway - LOL!! It only works ON the aircraft as it flies by! But it would be a funny video - especially if you had a recording of the plane flying between or over two equal size buildings - imagine the echo's being at the speed of - sound! LOL!! That way the darn thing would doppler at the SOS! (Oh, okay I know it don't work that way - but I was just having fun in my own head! LOL!!)

Hillbille
Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

HB .. trouble with most of that is ... program up a RTB quad and leave it to do its own thing. Multiple landings .. fly this .. fly that ... no hands on sticks.

Cheers
Nigel
Old 12-03-2014, 10:25 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Nigel - no problem - and probably no winner either. I don't think people are so shallow as to vote for something that would appear as bland as an autonomous flight would - do you? Really?

Hillbille
Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi HB ... agreed ... trouble is - I bet there would be someone vote for such ... probably on the assumption that the flyer was clever enough to program it up !

But seriously - I was just commenting to show that it's a difficult subject ...

The other point of course is that this is in the Photographic section - so it puts a completely different light on the contest, to such as my ponderings on scratchbuild ... The autonomous flight machine may actually be supported for photographic contest.

Nigel
Old 12-03-2014, 11:05 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

LOL! I think anyone that can "program" an autonomous flight - and record that flight with all of the distances, altitudes, angles and directions - plus rotation to keep a camera "pointed" correctly using today's available hobby hardware (non military - or experimental R&D stuff) would be quite q whiz in my book! Quad or plane!!

I look forward to your entry into the next video - or - AP contest Nigel!

That's one of the beauty's of having an internet contest is it is not limited to just one specific area, state or country!

Hillbille
Old 12-03-2014, 01:01 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

WOW .. Me ??

Actually I read and posted not as a potential entrant - as my video and camera gear is purely low tech and could never be submitted for such as this... but just commenting from my viewpoint.

I have pals I fly with who are investigating commercial application of their gear .. so their video gear is HD and expensive ! They program up gear to fly patterns and routes to survey whole areas .. The last venture I saw one do was actually 'graphing' the area of Cirava - the ex Soviet Fighter Station we fly at ...
He set his X8 into an automatic take-off ... fly to start point, then flight lines approx. 100m apart back and forth to grid the area .. once completed, it then auto returned and landed on original take-off spot.

Now for me this is model flying that does not appeal to me - I love having the sticks in hand and ME flying the machine - but as a technical op - it is something else.

He also dabbles in FPV obstacle course racing .......... now this does interest me. FPV Quad ... area with trees but sufficient gaps / space to allow flight through / round marked course by FPV. It's early days for this in Latvia - but may escalate ... it may even drag me in later if it develops. I have suitable at my home IF I can drag them there !!

But back to Comp ... I doubt you'd see any submission from me .. sorry.

Nigel
Old 12-03-2014, 07:53 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Ahh, it's very easy to make suggestions for others to do, especially when you yourself will not be one of the ones doing it! LOL!!

I usually try to imagine a flight from take off to landing with the goals incorporated into the flight. How long would it take? Safety concerns due to flight paths and such.

The "low tech" aspect is not a huge drawback, really. Some of the very best video footage I enjoy the most is camera footage from WWII and most of that was terrible! Gun port footage from various fighters was horrible - when it actually worked!! LOL!! That's why you always seem to see the same footage over and over in almost every WWII movie - because those were the "best" sequences that the directors could find. Now you and I both know that there were more than just a few dozen strips of film "shot" - so where did it all go?

Grainy, scratchy, black and white, underexposed, overexposed, and generally poor from every aspect - but some of the most enthralling scenes filmed. Others are actual footage of all planes taking off or landing! Those were fabulous too. It was amazing that some of the planes could fly - let alone maneuver!

So "low tech" is not an excuse. Just make use of it!

I'm going to compile a few of my most magnificent "failures" and post it. Nothing like making fun of yourself!! I've got a video of a F-16 EDF I tried to ROG from a dolly - that took the dolly with it when it took off! Several half loops and steep dives with severe pull outs disengaged the dolly - and nearly gave me a heart attack doing it - then - but now it just looks comical! LOL!!

Hillbille
Old 12-03-2014, 08:02 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Aw c'mon HB .. that's a bit unfair ... I never made suggestions TO DO ... I was just commenting that's all. To be honest - It was only after starting my first comment I noticed the section it was in ...

I use the NEW POSTS menu and sometimes do not note the section the post is in .. I see title and read .. post if I think I have something to say. This is what happened here.

Anyway - enter or not - opinions are still valid and lets be honest - I'm not being rude or derogatory ... I'm doing that over the other side - winding up a few 'gems' !!! Got to have a laugh sometimes !!

Cheers
Nigel
Old 12-03-2014, 08:23 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
Ahh, it's very easy to make suggestions for others to do, especially when you yourself will not be one of the ones doing it! LOL!!

I usually try to imagine a flight from take off to landing with the goals incorporated into the flight. How long would it take? Safety concerns due to flight paths and such.

The "low tech" aspect is not a huge drawback, really. Some of the very best video footage I enjoy the most is camera footage from WWII and most of that was terrible! Gun port footage from various fighters was horrible - when it actually worked!! LOL!! That's why you always seem to see the same footage over and over in almost every WWII movie - because those were the "best" sequences that the directors could find. Now you and I both know that there were more than just a few dozen strips of film "shot" - so where did it all go?

Grainy, scratchy, black and white, underexposed, overexposed, and generally poor from every aspect - but some of the most enthralling scenes filmed. Others are actual footage of all planes taking off or landing! Those were fabulous too. It was amazing that some of the planes could fly - let alone maneuver!

So "low tech" is not an excuse. Just make use of it!

I'm going to compile a few of my most magnificent "failures" and post it. Nothing like making fun of yourself!! I've got a video of a F-16 EDF I tried to ROG from a dolly - that took the dolly with it when it took off! Several half loops and steep dives with severe pull outs disengaged the dolly - and nearly gave me a heart attack doing it - then - but now it just looks comical! LOL!!

Hillbille
Most of what you relate to "low tech" is agreeable......however, if the video quality (jello, resolution, track skipping, pauses) is such that it effects the ability of the viewer to enjoy or understand the SUBJECT matter.......then you've wasted your time.........

Another issue is video editing........many of the "low tech" products record in AVI or format that must be converted to MOV or JPEG in order to download to a web site and viewed by the public...........even if the raw recording is delivered in a format like MOV, JPEG.......user friendliness and compatibility of the recording software come into play when editing (which everyone here does).......that aspect translates into time and effort outside of the craft flight preparation, flight, and video transfer.......!

For me, if I'm going to invest the time to enter a contest and be "judged" by my peers, the product I provide better be worthy of the effort and enjoyable.......sorry, but the "low tech" equipment (under $50.00, the amount I'd be willing to invest to enter a contest or be "judged" by my peers for fun) just doesn't do my flying skills justice........
Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Nigel - no harm no foul - and everything I say and do on these forums is mostly for fun. I laugh at myself far more than at anyone else. I still believe you've got your foot in the door here - and you should go ahead and enter!! LOL!!

The only thing holding me back are some of the requirements. I live in a desert. No trees, no lush gardens (you'd be strung up for wastefull water use!! LOL!! - not kidding - probably have to pay a hefty fine and especially now - we're in a drought!!)

Besides when it isn't cold and rainy or the wind isn't blowing 15 - 20 mph (20 - 40kph! LOL!!) it's hot! And as anyone that flies foamies can tell you - the sun is one of the most destructive elements toward foam there is!!

Pizzano - all of those things - jello, resolution, track skipping, pauses - are just simple matters of mounting. Crazy as it sounds sometimes the little key chain cams do not like to be soft mounted - direct mounting works better! It's just a matter of trial and error and not taking someone else's word for absolute fact - until you've tried it yourself! LOL!!

And - speaking of devices - the $40 #16 key chain cam produces some very good fairly high quality video!

I use Windows Movie Maker for all of my video editing. It will accept .MOV files and will output in .wmv which YouTube accepts easily. Quality of the final rendered video can be adjusted up or down depending upon the type file desired. There are several "free" video editors out on the market though. You need not be a professional and in fact some of the better video's I have seen are fairly crude - BUT - that also tells me that the guy was more interested in showing his adventure with the camera than making a polished pro product! I prefer the the adventure over the olish any time!

Hillbille
Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I use Freemake Video Converter on all avi files from cameras ... convert to max resolution WMV. Load up to Windows Movie Maker and do my editing ... save to max resolution and later WMM saves to MP4 actually - not WMV - you can select that of course if you wish.

I use WMM because having tried many other video editing suites - I fall back to it every time - its too easy. Ok - so it hasn't all the bells and whistles of some others - but at end of day - my videos are more for my diagnostic than entertainment.

Diagnostic ? Yep - I video near all my flights and then view them back at home ... to see any faults, mods, corrections needed. It gives me an incredible insight into a models character especially when you slow down playback ... and study specific parts.

My uploads to Youtube - usually include speech where I describe what I'm using .. what I'm experiencing ... that way anyone contemplating the same model can use my dialogue as indicator for their set-ups ... I think not only showing a flight - but giving as much info as possible is worth the little extra time on editing.

If I don't fly a particular model for quite a while or re-install gear .. I watch the video I last made of it ... helps me get back into that model with pre-warned about its character.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack this thread ...

Nigel
Old 12-04-2014, 01:52 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

We've done AV, now lets do AP. I've always found that a little more challenging trying to get the "Perfect " Shot. As for subject matter, like the last AV, "Anything goes" Someone mentioned earlier, nice thing about these AP/AV contests on these international forums pictures and videos can be taken in many different settings locations etc. I do so enjoy seeing the world through the eyes, imaginations, and cameras of my fellow flyers.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:07 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by offtom View Post
We've done AV, now lets do AP. I've always found that a little more challenging trying to get the "Perfect " Shot. As for subject matter, like the last AV, "Anything goes" Someone mentioned earlier, nice thing about these AP/AV contests on these international forums pictures and videos can be taken in many different settings locations etc. I do so enjoy seeing the world through the eyes, imaginations, and cameras of my fellow flyers.
LOL!!

Me too!

How about an "Enter as often as you wish - ONE ENTRY per post!!

That way we'll get a lot more photos!!

Sad that it has to be a contest with only one "winner" because I really would have liked to have been able to vote for two of the video's in the last one!

Hillbille
Old 12-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I am thinking an AP contest would be a good idea. Anyone can take a photo and I like the idea of multiple entries.

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2014, 01:54 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

The reason I like multiple entries is because you might get an opportunity to get a better angle of the same photo on a different day - and - you also might find a better photo to enter after you have already entered a shot! LOL!!

Might be good if there were also the ability to have multiple "winners" - not multiple entry winners - but multiple person winners!

Hillbille
Old 12-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Multiple winners like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, is always a great idea. I would also like to secure prizes like we used to do. Some of the prizes were well worth the investment to enter that is for sure.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Been giving this a lot of thought lately.

Perhaps the need is for a regularly scheduled event - or two regularly scheduled events I should say.

Perhaps these events (AP for one and AV for the other) might start on the 1st of each month and end on the last day of that month. So there would be a perpetual "contest" occurring all the time.

Perhaps the AP portion might be entered with a screen capture from the AV entry. Also perhaps the entries might have the rules expanded to include photographs and video clips OF model aircraft as well as FROM model aircraft. I realize the criteria might need a little tweaking, but it opens the door for a lot more entries!

No double entries. You would not be allowed to enter tha same picture or video more than once. So all entries would need to be original and exclusive to THAT contest in THAT month.

By having an ongoing contest(s) it allows those wanting to participate the opportunity to do so without being rushed - and allows video taken in the "good" flying seasons to be entered throughout the year when "bad" conditions prevent flying. It also hopefully would do away with a lot of the "stress" of rushing to meet a deadline - as there is one every month!! LOL!!

Theme's could be "suggested" and perhaps at the end of the year all of the entries might be designated with special awards for most viewed or funniest video or photo. I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Hillbille
Old 12-13-2014, 05:34 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Too bad that last AV wasn't a funniest video contest.

Bet you guys woulda loved seeing this overweight old guy climbing a tree to get his quad.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:14 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Or - this old fat guy shaking a 14' sectioned sprinkler pipe in the neighbors tree trying to get one out of it!

Everyone has at least ONE funny video - or could certainly put one together with out-takes!!

But that also would mean they be able to use video OF model aircraft and not necessarily FROM model aircraft!!

I don't know about funny - but I must have about 10,000 AP photos of my feet!! LOL!! Nearly every AP flight I have ever done begins with me mounting the camera (whatever it is!) and then activating the shutter while looking at it to make sure the shutter IS functioning! Normal results - is - a good clean clear in focus shot of my shoes!! LOL!!

Hillbille