Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

E-flite Maule Scarry landings

Old 07-27-2021, 06:38 AM
bellairvideo

Default E-flite Maule Scarry landings

The Eflite Maule September Canola flights with very difficult cross wind landing on a small country dirt road. Using multiple cameras to capture the various angles

Old 07-27-2021, 03:12 PM
park
Clear !

That’s a short runway, but very wide !
Old 07-27-2021, 03:37 PM
bellairvideo

Originally Posted by park View Post
That’s a short runway, but very wide !
hi there, funny you should mention that!
it was a bit of a challenge but she just floats in on full flap just as the big one works in Alaska
Old 07-27-2021, 10:52 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Maule did a demo flight once where they started with the airplane at the back of a hangar and by the time it got to the front of the hangar, it was flying. Your slow flight was pretty representative of the real thing.

As an aside, I was once returning to the airport in a Cessna 152 and entered the upwind at 1,000 feet agl. There was a strong wind blowing and I slowed the 152 down by raising the nose and reducing the throttle to the point where I was parked in the air, not moving at all. Had I lowered a bit of flap, I could have backed up.

My Dad once took off in a J3 Cub, climbed to the end of the runway, reduced throttle, backed down the runway and landed where he took of from.

Airplanes are amazing machines.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:08 PM
bellairvideo

Default Great memories & experiences

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Maule did a demo flight once where they started with the airplane at the back of a hangar and by the time it got to the front of the hangar, it was flying. Your slow flight was pretty representative of the real thing.

As an aside, I was once returning to the airport in a Cessna 152 and entered the upwind at 1,000 feet agl. There was a strong wind blowing and I slowed the 152 down by raising the nose and reducing the throttle to the point where I was parked in the air, not moving at all. Had I lowered a bit of flap, I could have backed up.

My Dad once took off in a J3 Cub, climbed to the end of the runway, reduced throttle, backed down the runway and landed where he took of from.

Airplanes are amazing machines.
G’day Rabbitcreekok,

yes i can also relate to this when flying a 150 at Melton Victoria on a windy cross wind landing many years ago. Hanging there on approach at cross angles & virtually just dropping down. I was filming a docco in remote Papua New Guinea with Missionary Aviation Fellowship & in a Twin Otter landing up the side of a mountain… that twin had the same effect then. Amazing. I still love the E-flite Twin Otter & will post some flights of it this week.
regards & keep safe & well