Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

United States Air Force

Old 04-22-2007, 04:46 AM
[email protected]

Default United States Air Force

I have been concidering going into the airforce either when I finish high school or college. I would join for these reasons:

My love of flight (its the adrenaline that gets me!)
I want to fly commercially

Would I have to go to college if I want to fly immediately?(after training, of course!) In other words, to fly straight into the air force, would I have to become an officer?

How long would I wait approx. after training to fly if I go in straight after I graduate high school as opposed to coolege?

Thanks in advance. I know a lot of you guys are and have been in the United States Air Force, so I know you'll be a big help.:o

Also, what kind of training would I have to go through? I have a friend who's been in the Navy and he said that he had to go into a room full of a chemical that made his eyes and muscles sting like they were burning. My grandpa said that too...
Old 04-22-2007, 05:02 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Short answer... you can not be a pilot right out of HS but you can fly. If your scores are good enough and the jobs are available you can be a boom operator on the refuelers, loadmasters for the cargo planes and such.

You must have a 4 year degree in order to be a pilot candidate

Best advice I can give you is go see a recruiter. They can give you all the info you need and then some. They can explain all the programs and show you the opportunities available to you.

and yeah... you go through a gas chamber with something like tear gas... your eyes will burn like heck for a few minutes but it's to show you that a gas mask actually does work!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:06 AM
[email protected]

why would I need gas mask training for the Air Force?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:17 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Think about it... It is the United States MILITARY Air Force
Old 04-22-2007, 05:26 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Your not flying 24/7 for one. If your airbase were to come under attack with chemical weapons you'd be very happy to have and know how to use a gas mask. Another reason is because they tell you to.

I agree with Bill, go see a Recruiter, more than once if necessary. Probably wouldn't hurt to have an adult male to go along with you. They'll think of questions you never would till you gain your own experience in such matters.
I enjoyed my time spent in the Air Force and I've regretted many times not staying in till retirement.

Good Luck,
SJ
Old 04-22-2007, 05:38 AM
[email protected]

How often did you guys have relief to go see family?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:41 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

again... good questions for a recruiter. But you get 30 days paid leave per year

That is in addition to your regular time off. It's like most any other job for the most part unless your deployed, and yes the Air Force guys and gals get deployed to the middle east too.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:15 PM
[email protected]

How old do tyou think I would have to be to see a reccruiter? I am a bit young...(?) years old
Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Things are different today than they were back in our days but I joined when I was 17. Now days they want you to at least to have finished High School. You can talk to them at any age and they'll tell you what you will need to do. They won't take you underage and may request you have a parent or guardian with you for serious talks. My daughter talked to them when she was 16 but that was at her school also.
If your really interested in wanting to learn to fly you might want to look into the Auxilary of the USAF called the Civil Air Patrol (C.A.P.). Most larger cities have a Squadron usually located at a local airfield.

Good Luck,
SJ

Last edited by Slowjohn; 04-22-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Fix my sleepy uh-oh
Old 04-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?node...5f50655f1d7f52

That's the link to the CAP Cadet Program. There is also links on the CAP site to the different Squadrons located around the States.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Howdy Don,
Thanks for posting the C.A.P. link. I just took a quick look at the site and it seems the organization has really come a long way since I left it in '72 to go into the USAF at 17. I made Cadet Commander and really wished I'd of listened to Col. Johnson about going for a couple more awards like the "Billy Mitchell Award" and the "Amelia Earhart Award". Bad timing I'll claim as I discovered what a "chick magnet (sorry ladies)" my '64-1/2 Mustang Conv. was. I sure miss that car.

SJ
Old 04-22-2007, 04:32 PM
TeslaWinger

GTO, there are many pros and cons about service today. I don't know about the AF but the Army and other branches will sign you up for a certain hitch- then refuse to release you, sending you back to the front repeatedly.

Also getting injured might see you facing all those medical bills alone when they declare you to have a pre-existing mental problem, freeing them of any responsibility for your expensive care. Over 22,000 battle injured soldiers already found that out the hard way. They also have to refund their signup bonus money and pay for any equipment lost when they were injured!

Soon it might be the only job left in town however. If some eye and throat irritation concerns you consider what the DU (look it up) weapon dust and smoke will do to you, especially if you ever want to have children.

No recruiter will warn you about that so you must do some research- their job is to sign you up. I know its not what many of you want to hear but some net research will show it to be a tragic reality for so many brave servicemen.

Good luck
Old 04-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Exclamation Recruiters

Howdy TelsaWinger,
Didn't you like your recruiter ? Just kidding but your right. That's one of the reasons for me telling him it'd be a good idea to have an adult go with him. The Recruiters job IS to "sign 'em up" but they also have to weed out the undesirables. Maybe I should have said to take a "seasoned vet" to go with him to talk to the Recruiter.

[email protected]
One other thing, make sure that anything they say they'll be able to do for you is put in writing and that you get and keep a copy of the agreements from the start.

SJ
Old 04-22-2007, 05:45 PM
TeslaWinger

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
Howdy TelsaWinger,
Didn't you like your recruiter ? Just kidding but your right. That's one of the reasons for me telling him it'd be a good idea to have an adult go with him. The Recruiters job IS to "sign 'em up" but they also have to weed out the undesirables. Maybe I should have said to take a "seasoned vet" to go with him to talk to the Recruiter.

[email protected]
One other thing, make sure that anything they say they'll be able to do for you is put in writing and that you get and keep a copy of the agreements from the start.

SJ
Well said, John. I had my doubts about posting such a thing here-but things have changed. Telling a young man anything but the truth is not something I could live with considering the consequences. If I have offended anyone I apologize. Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

I considered posting some reports to support these claims but I don't want to bring the crazies here with their horrible rhetoric. GTO, if you need the information I will PM some links to you.

Best of luck, GTO.

PS: By the way of risk- all those weapons can hurt the people handling them too. Toxic chemicals and things that go boom are part of the risk. The military firemen are the bravest of the brave too as they rush into danger to save lives while others run for safety. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. God protect our young people in the service- and those at home too.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Thumbs up Well Said Yourself TelsaWinger

PS: By the way of risk- all those weapons can hurt the people handling them too. Toxic chemicals and things that go boom are part of the risk. The military firemen are the bravest of the brave too as they rush into danger to save lives while others run for safety. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. God protect our young people in the service- and those at home too.

TelsaWinger,
I had to rethink, retype and edit that reply several times so as to try and Not Offend Anyone. Thank goodness I was in the service during "Peace Time" although 911 had me raring to go but I was way too old to re-enlist

GTO,
I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do. Just do it with your eyes wide open and a clear understanding of why your going in or not. Military Service isn't for everyone but then again for some it's a Golden Opportunity.

If at all possible for you, do check out a C.A.P. unit close to you. You don't have to join to be able to sit in and observe for a period of time. We welcomed prospective recruits and the general public to come and attend our meetings and I imagine it's probably still the same today as it was almost 40 years ago. It's also great training if you do decide to enlist. Basic Training for me was a breeze bordering on a joke as I was more than in shape and prepared for it both physically and mentally. I have worked harder and for lots worse people in "real life" than I did for Uncle Sam but at the time it wasn't what I wanted to do.

Blue Skies to All,
SJ

Last edited by Slowjohn; 04-22-2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: oops
Old 04-22-2007, 06:40 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

All the paperwork you get will tell you that yes there is a certain time frame to serve but as for the not letting you go part... it also says that in time of need for the Nation they can keep you once you are in.

You have to read ALL of the contract not just the part you like.

I spent 4 years as a recruiter for the Air Force in Oak Ridge, TN. I never once had to mislead a candidate or lie to them to get them to sign up to serve their country.

Tesla you seem bitter... and I'm sure there are cases where the things you mention have happened and probably do still happen unfortunately, but, for the most part our military treats our servicemen and women well. I retired active duty in 2001 after having served my 20 years. 2 of which were in the middle east, 1 during the first Gulf War. you here the talk of the Gulf war illness and hour our Govt is ignoring it... false. I have a 60% disability related to it and am being well taken care of by MY government.

Sorry... I'll get off my soapbox now... I just hate to hear that our country is not taking care of our Vets.... We are!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Twizter68
I can't see my plane.....

TW, in 16 years of active service, and being around the service my entire life, I have only seen one person declared to have a pre-existing condition, which was a heart murmur.

[email protected], be aware of what it is your signing before you sign it; if you don't understand what it means, get a third party to explain it to you. Contracts no longer exists for 1st enlistments; the have you sign an enlistment document, which is not much different, but allows the service to place you in an undermanned specialty if there is a "needs of the service" issue.

BUT...it's a good life, for those who can take it.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:24 PM
TeslaWinger

Guys... friends, no I am not bitter. I have no agenda here. Things have changed very seriously now, and not just for the military. Did you notice?

"Support" can be done many ways- not by denying the truth, however. Like I said, I don't want to start any trouble here. I really do love my fellow citizens- and this site, so please do not mischaracterize that- not that you have...

Let me know what you think of this link. It is not some crazy site- it's a mainstream newpaper.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/sp...nium/index.htm

National Public Radio:
http://http://www.rawstory.com/showarticle.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2Ftem plates%2Fstory%2Fstory.php%3FstoryId%3D9710383

The info can be confirmed in many ways if you know how to use a search engine!

Never trust a single source. Cross verify the information you don't believe it- or suspect bias. Its always a good practice when researching something critical.

Make up your own mind. I would ask nothing else of a friend.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:26 PM
skiman762
FFFC

Originally Posted by TeslaWinger View Post
Guys... friends, no I am not bitter. I have no agenda here. Things have changed very seriously now, and not just for the military. Did you notice?

"Support" can be done many ways- not by denying the truth, however. Like I said, I don't want to start any trouble here. I really do love my fellow citizens- and this site, so please do not mischaracterize that- not that you have...

Let me know what you think of this link. It is not some crazy site- it's a mainstream newpaper.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/sp...nium/index.htm

National Public Radio:
http://http://www.rawstory.com/showarticle.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2Ftem plates%2Fstory%2Fstory.php%3FstoryId%3D9710383

The info can be confirmed in many ways if you know how to use a search engine!

Never trust a single source. Cross verify the information you don't believe it- or suspect bias. Its always a good practice when researching something critical.

Make up your own mind. I would ask nothing else of a friend.
What branch and time frame were you in ?
Just intrested in a different point of view
I had a great time in my 23 years in the AF
and they took care of me very well after I retired
Old 04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
TeslaWinger

Fair question, SKI. I will pm you the info. I've said too much already...

If these articles are misinformation I am sure there will be a retraction any minute. If it turns out to be bogus I will humbly fall on my sword and offer up a vital organ as pennance!

Remember the Maine!
TW
Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

"My Recruiter Lied To Me..." how many times have we all heard that..

GTO2
The trick to learning to fly for, and becoming an officer in any of our fine services (GO ARMY) is knowing as much as you can as soon as you can.. You can TALK to a recruiter at any age staring at 13. (actual regulation) but obviously the recruiter is not permitted to encourage your commitment until you are 16. then start your processing until 17.

If it is your dream to learn to fly in uniform (personally the BEST way to learn) then I suggest you got to your recruiter(s) and find out which best suits your interests.. ALL branches of the military have Pilots for fixed wing and rotor aircraft. Army has cargo/troop planes plus the baddest heli's on the planet, Navy has (says them) the best and most diciplined fixed wing pilots on the planet as well as light attack and cargo helis, Marines have the Harrier, the Osprey and the Cobra heli, The Air Force has just about everything.. so it really boils down to, what do you want to fly... and where/how do you want to live while you are doin it..

Another concideration is (as you said, "after collage") maybe joining the Academies of either Navy, Airforce or West Point. Keep your nose clean, grades up and goals in view.. Those schools command respect on a resume if you decide to go commercial later..

There are alot of things you can get taken care of BEFORE you even "raise your hand" so the key is geting your info, laying out a plan, then executing it.. many people wait till they are in the office then they have about 5 years of work to do while piloting a desk in the service before they even get near their dream.. get it done NOW so you can fast-track that stick in your hand..!!
Old 04-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Twizter68

Stink, good post; GTO, the best route is as stink put it, make your plan before you hit the office. If you're serious about flying (Pilot-type, not aircrew type) you will need a bachelor's degree, preferably in an engineering field.

And the Navy does have the best pilots; who else can land on a moving postage stamp?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
And the Navy does have the best pilots; who else can land on a moving postage stamp?
well.... a bomb...
Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

ouch!
Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Twizter68

Originally Posted by stinkweed007 View Post
well.... a bomb...

Not in the last 60 years!

And our airstrips can get out of the way, unlike yours!

Quick Reply: United States Air Force

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12523 seconds with 12 queries