Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Wood Filler or Spackle?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Hope you have good flying weather soon. SC has a cold snap currently, but then my hangar is not up to flying status at present. Oh yes, I had a cinnamon roll so now I am sweeter.

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Voyager, Your Family here Take care and Stay Sweet, Chellie
Old 12-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Prof100

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
Hey Prof100, I follow the Grasshopper/PD1 approach: spackle and WBPU+silk. It's like a slightly spongy armor.
Agreed, spackle, WBPU & silk is a great process. Although, spending a great deal of time on surface finish of FFF foamies kind of defeats the idea of a fast build and carefree attitude if you lose the plane due to fat thumbs. Therefore, I have adopted a minimalist approach to finishing my FFF scratchbuilds. I will apply an inexpensive, but high quality acrylic paint scheme using blue masking tape and a foam brush for a high visibility color scheme. I indulge myself by using a spray can of Minwax WBPU for a basecoat and topcoat.

Last edited by Prof100; 12-14-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:03 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Agreed, spackle, WBPU & silk is a great process. Although, spending a great deal of time on surface finish of FFF foamies kind of defeats the idea of a fast build and carefree attitude if you lose the plane due to fat thumbs. Threfore, I have adopted a minimalist approach to finishing my FFF scratchbuilds. I will apply an inexpensive, but high quality acrylic paint scheme using blue masking tape and a foam brush for a high visibility color scheme. I indulge myself by using a spray can of Minwax WBPU for a basecoat and topcoat.
"fat" thumbs? LOL!

My thumbs are always fat, but only sometimes are they dumb hehehe

GRU