Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #51
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,263 Times in 2,162 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (327)

Originally Posted by dekan View Post
Thanks, whats the slow speed handling like. Doe's it have the rocking motion I have seen in other Deltas?

Hi, The slow speed handling is fine, and very little rocking motion,
Old 02-24-2007, 03:24 AM   #52
JoeBruce

Friends: (0)

Just bought a bunch of the stuff I need to build, though none of the "gear" yet. I re-read the whole thread and inspected the pics more closely. It appears you made a wood "plate" for the top front of the delta? I imagine for durability, help with CG? Thin ply or balsa?

Can't wait to start the build -- I'll get my 5 y.o. son to "help" me.

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #53
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by JoeBruce View Post
Just bought a bunch of the stuff I need to build, though none of the "gear" yet. I re-read the whole thread and inspected the pics more closely. It appears you made a wood "plate" for the top front of the delta? I imagine for durability, help with CG? Thin ply or balsa?

Can't wait to start the build -- I'll get my 5 y.o. son to "help" me.
Hi Joe yes I added a small piece of thin balsa on the front, the velcro will stick better to it than foam, also I epoxied the balsa to the foam and epoxied the velcro to the balsa, I have found that this seems to work better, and the velcro does not keep peeling off, my battery, & receiver are just held on with heavy duty velcro, and it helps in a crash too, it will give a little, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #54
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

I have a question, Hinge material? I bought some of that stretchy tape that I read about. Is this the correct stuff? Does it give enough to get the proper throw? without too much resistance? Whadaya think?

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #55
dekan
dekan

Friends: (1)

If you smear CA on the foam or balsa it allows the velcro to grip better, use foam safe CA. Allow the CA to dry before attaching the velcro.
This is an old trick used to use this a lot when using servo tape on balsa airplanes. It seems to roughen the surface.
Just the project for a 5 y.o it wont take too long! Use Blenderm or Parcel Tape for the hinge. I tend to use things I know will work for hinges as they are a pain to replace once plane is built
Old 02-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #56
JoeBruce

Hey, CHELLIE -- thanks (yet again) for the helpful advice. Sorry to bug you with newbie Q's. I appreciate the info, and look forward to building it with my son.

I've read a lot of the building tips here and RCG, and I'm now ready to start cutting. I picked up Gorilla Glue, but will probably return it and use Sumo instead based on what I read last night on RCG. Sumo cures a lot faster, and parts are ready to handle in 20 min. Sumo + a couple dots of hot glue to "tack clamp" the parts came highly recommended.

Like Bruce, I picked up the 3M Stretchy tape -- it was on clearance at Target. Would you recommend that (i.e., would you use it again if you had it to do over), or should I just use packing tape? I understand where dekan is coming from on using "tried and true" materials, and having moved recently, I have plenty of packing tape!

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #57
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Joe Hi Bruce I Did not use the stretchy tape after all, we got a hot day here of 88 degrees, and the tape was way to spongy, so I would not use the stretchy tape unless you live in a cool climate, I wound up using just the regular 2" packing tape, I will post some tips here on the delta that I have used since the build, that may help others, as I learn by doing, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #58
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default Delta Build Tips

Hi Everyone here are a few tips that I have learned since the build and flying the delta.

1.use regular 2" clear packing tape for the hinges
2. CG is on mine is at 7 to 9" inches from the noise of the plane, not the motor
3. add a small thin strip of balsa to the bottom of the skid, for a wear strip
4. you can make the linkages from carbon rod and large paperclips, epoxy the carbon rod and the shaped z bend paper clip, with a 1' overlap, then use some heat shrink tubing over that, and heat it , works great, or you can use the old tried and true, thread wraped and CA,
5.I used some thin balsa on the front of my delta, to attach the velcro too, and the battery, and it may give some extra strength too on the front
6. I used a small block of foam behind the battery that I just epoxied in and added some velcro too, for a mount for the ESC
7. I used 5 min epoxy for the entire build, it works great, and allowed me to build it fast,

And thats about all i can think about right now that I have done, Take care & happy building, Chellie
Old 02-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #59
JoeBruce

Thanks again, Chellie! I generally learn by doing as well, but with my very limited free time at the moment, I would like to have some initial success. Struggling to get a workable model will frustrate my son and me, and make my wife more skeptical about the time spent on it.

Once I get something working, I'm looking forward to trying different designs (e.g., twin verticle stabs, pusher design, etc.)...

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #60
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thanks again, Chellie! I generally learn by doing as well, but with my very limited free time at the moment, I would like to have some initial success. Struggling to get a workable model will frustrate my son and me, and make my wife more skeptical about the time spent on it.

Once I get something working, I'm looking forward to trying different designs (e.g., twin verticle stabs, pusher design, etc.)...
Joe, Buy a Slow Stick and get your wife flying, she may have a blast doing it, and you may not see to much of her, because she will be out flying
Take care, Chellie
Old 02-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #61
JoeBruce

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Joe, Buy a Slow Stick and get your wife flying, she may have a blast doing it, and you may not see to much of her, because she will be out flying
Take care, Chellie
I tried once to take her along to the flying field, but then our 2 y.o. daughter and 5 y.o. son both started getting into trouble. I flew for 10 minutes and then gave up, since she was just chasing them around. It'll work out eventually -- my son's very excited to build the delta wing, and once we have their airframe we'll simply "have to" make it really fly.

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #62
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Ok,
Goodmorning, Dumb question #8,421. Do you put tape on the upper and lower surfaces or just on the upper OR lower for ease of movement? I can't help but think tape on both sides would restrict movement...

Bruce
AMA 873912

Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #63
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Ok,
Goodmorning, Dumb question #8,421. Do you put tape on the upper and lower surfaces or just on the upper OR lower for ease of movement? I can't help but think tape on both sides would restrict movement...
Hi Bruce I put tape on both surfaces, leave a 1/4" gap between the 2 pieces, add the tape, use a thin ruler on the top tape, and use a small round rod underneath the bottom tape, so that when you tape the top and bottom tapes together it will be even and in the middle, and the gap will close up, it will be a smooth sweet hinge, the trick is to get the top and bottom tapes together at the middle of the hinge, its not to hard, use anything that will assist you in that, take care, Chellie
Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #64
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

I get it.. It seems so simple now that you explained it. I was thinking it would be pulling in one direction or the other all the time, just giving resistance..Thanks..

Bruce
AMA 873912

Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #65
JoeBruce

FYI, I ended up resorting to the "soaking in the tub" trick to get all the paper off. I decided to start with a mini-STC (unscaled one-sheet plans - fuse is about 7" long) with my son.

I cut the pieces out of Elmer's Foam Board with an Xacto, separated the paper from the foam at a corner, and rolled the paper off around a AA battery (a good-sized "dowel" for these parts). Unfortunately, this only took a top layer of paper off, leaving a lot of paper and adhesive stuck to the foam. Soaking the parts in a bucket of hot water and then rubbing the paper / adhesive off with a latex glove did the trick.

My only deviation from Chellie's process was the lack of wine -- it would have been much more pleasant with it, though.

I don't know how others manage to get all the paper off by just rolling it off - it was like trying to peel a stubborn price tag from a cardboard box (or worse, a glass). Any suggestions from those who use this method? It would obviously be a lot faster!

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #66
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default soaking off paper from foam board

Hi Joe after you cut the pieces that you will need for your build, or even after you cut each piece, sand the gloss finish off the paper with some 80 grit sand paper, fill the bath tub about 4" with warm water, even add a little dish washing soap, put the foam pieces in the tub, turn them every 15 to 20 mins, while you are enjoying a glass of wine, beer, mix drink etc . if you can soak them over night, then its no problem, the paper just falls off, no rubbing, but I Like to keep moving ahead, so I will soak them for about 1 to 2 hours, then rub a little on the glue, and keep going after you do a few of these you will get the hang of it, Take care, Chellie.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #67
JoeBruce

Thanks for the advice, Chellie! Didn't expect any replies from the West Coast this early in the AM! I think I soaked the parts for about 45 minutes, which probably explains the amount of rubbing I had to do...

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #68
JWilliams

Hmm, wasn't stoked about this until I saw that it does 50+mph. That ain't too bad! I wonder how this would be as a nightflyer with LEDs around its circumference. I think it might do well and its shape lend well to orientation.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #69
JoeBruce

I'm surprised we didn't see a "lighted" version from Chellie yet -- she said that she was going to stick some LEDs on in an earlier post. Probably not getting much flying in with the flu, thoug -- just a bunch of building (also fun).

I like to 50+ mph idea, too, and I'm happy to hear that it can slow down, too, since I've never flown anything faster than my Challenger (20 mph?).

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #70
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I'm surprised we didn't see a "lighted" version from Chellie yet -- she said that she was going to stick some LEDs on in an earlier post. Probably not getting much flying in with the flu, thoug -- just a bunch of building (also fun).

I like to 50+ mph idea, too, and I'm happy to hear that it can slow down, too, since I've never flown anything faster than my Challenger (20 mph?).
Hi Joe Hi JWilliams this delta moves, with a 2408-21 and 6x6 prop has a calculated prop/motor speed of 69.4 mph + drag, it does between 50 & 60 mph, I was flying it in a 10 mph wind and it was doing about 50 into the wind, it cuts the wind very nice, with a 2409-12 it has a motor pitch speed of 73.4 mph, thats using a 6x6 apc prop, 2100 mah lipo, 1400kv for the 2408 and 1600kv for the 2409 motor and a 6x6 prop, these figures are close, anyway, when I flew the delta, it surprised me as to what it would do, and you can slow it down too, with a 8x4 prop, take care, Chellie

ps the lights have not come in the mail yet
Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #71
JoeBruce

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I knew there was a reason!

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #72
JWilliams

Speaking of which, I think I'll place a decent order with superbrightleds right now!
Old 03-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #73
JoeBruce

Hey, Chellie... I finally drew my SQD on the foam board while I waited for my mini STC paint job to dry. There were a couple dimensions not specified, so I winged it from the pics. Since I won't get a chance to cut the foam until next weekend, I thought I'd see if I was in the right ballpark.

The vertical stab had all of the important dimensions except the total length. I drew mine at 16", since it appeared by eyeing it that you had about 3" of space in front of it for battery and ESC. Feel free to correct this figure if it isn't right.

The elevons are isosceles trapezoids (gotta love Wikipedia -- I forgot most of my geometry years ago). I drew the lines such that the TE is 2.5" narrower than where the elevon attaches to the delta body. In other words, I measured in 1.25" on each side and drew lines. Is that about right? One of your pics had an original line half erased, then a "correct" one, but no dimensions.

Thanks again Chellie for sharing the build! It took all of 10 minutes to carefully draw the lines, and now I'm looking forward to doing more of the build when I get back from my trip! Can't do it all in one night like you did.

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 03-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #74
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hey, Chellie... I finally drew my SQD on the foam board while I waited for my mini STC paint job to dry. There were a couple dimensions not specified, so I winged it from the pics. Since I won't get a chance to cut the foam until next weekend, I thought I'd see if I was in the right ballpark.

The vertical stab had all of the important dimensions except the total length. I drew mine at 16", since it appeared by eyeing it that you had about 3" of space in front of it for battery and ESC. Feel free to correct this figure if it isn't right.

The elevons are isosceles trapezoids (gotta love Wikipedia -- I forgot most of my geometry years ago). I drew the lines such that the TE is 2.5" narrower than where the elevon attaches to the delta body. In other words, I measured in 1.25" on each side and drew lines. Is that about right? One of your pics had an original line half erased, then a "correct" one, but no dimensions.

Thanks again Chellie for sharing the build! It took all of 10 minutes to carefully draw the lines, and now I'm looking forward to doing more of the build when I get back from my trip! Can't do it all in one night like you did.
Hi Joe 15 to 16 inches will be fine on the rudder , it does not have to be exact, just close, the elevator/ elevons are 2 in wide, on the angle on the edge, its not critical, just what ever looks good to you, thats the nice thing about these deltas. BTW 1 1/2 " is where mine is at too, I just measured it, Good Job, Take care, Chellie
Old 03-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #75
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
I get it.. It seems so simple now that you explained it. I was thinking it would be pulling in one direction or the other all the time, just giving resistance..Thanks..
Hi Bruce I just bought some blenderm tape from my LHS, its marketed By DU-BRO , its only about 1" wide and 5 yds long, but I would like to see if my local drug store/ savon has it too, I used reg packing tape, but blenderm might be much better, my next foamy will get blenderm tape on the hinges, I am always willing to try something thats, new/better, take care, Chellie

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings

Tags
build , delta , quick , scratch , super