Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Just bought a supercub!!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:05 AM
radioflyer75

Default Just bought a supercub!!

Well, I just purchased my first plane on ebay, a Hobbyzone SuperCub!! Can't wait 'till it gets here!! Hope I get it before Christmas! Does it come with the charger? I got an extra battery with it and the drop module for free. Free shipping too! What other goodies should I look at purchasing for it?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:08 AM
[email protected]

Hold on there! You should at least get an AHAA (Air Hogs Aero Ace) before you get an expensive plane for a beginner! Once you do get good at flying, you should get photo equipment.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:09 AM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

We all gotta start somewhere

My Super Cub will be here soon also
Old 12-18-2006, 04:12 AM
radioflyer75

Already got a AHAA. I'm very coordinated and I learn quickly. I don't think I'll have any problems. Plus I've played video games all my life involving flight. lol
Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

I think you have done well and will have more fun than you realize. It does come with a charger so your off to a good start. While your waiting for your new plane you could always try the free FMS flight simulator to get a rough idea of what to expect. You may also want hunt around for a few extra parachute guys as its easy to hang one up in a tree. 5 and dime stores carry these cheap or you can make your own.
Because you got a extra battery theres really nothing left to buy other than perhaps a spare prop or 2. Best of luck and please keep us informed.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:22 AM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

Whut was the shipped price if you don't mind? where did you find yours?
Old 12-18-2006, 05:34 AM
radioflyer75

Originally Posted by onlyemokid View Post
Whut was the shipped price if you don't mind? where did you find yours?
$159.99. Extra battery, drop module, & shipping was free. Got it on ebay, seller name is diversionhobbies.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:38 AM
radioflyer75

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
I think you have done well and will have more fun than you realize. It does come with a charger so your off to a good start. While your waiting for your new plane you could always try the free FMS flight simulator to get a rough idea of what to expect. You may also want hunt around for a few extra parachute guys as its easy to hang one up in a tree. 5 and dime stores carry these cheap or you can make your own.
Because you got a extra battery theres really nothing left to buy other than perhaps a spare prop or 2. Best of luck and please keep us informed.
I guess I should start flying over grass? Should I hand launch it or what? Reason I ask, is there is an unfinished 4 lane within a few miles from my house, and it would make the perfect runway!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:47 PM
xAaron

Your Cub should come with two chargers - AC and DC. The AC is the wall charger and will charge the battery in about 3 hours. The DC is the car charger and will charge the battery in about 45 min. I have 12 flights on the Cub and love it. I started with the Hobby Zone Firebird Commander II but after 3 flights I wanted elevator control. Hand launching the Cub is easy but I like taking off from the ground. If you're launching from grass then it might be better to hand launch it as the Cub will nose over if the grass is too high. You should land on the grass until you get the hang of landing it before landing on pavement. My Cub came with two props and I bought a extra one but I haven't broken a prop yet. You can order parts and accessories direct from Hobby Zone. You should be very happy with this plane - Enjoy!
http://hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_hobbyzone_super_cub.htm
Old 12-18-2006, 02:14 PM
radioflyer75

So what use is the Xport besides the drop module and firing streamers?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

I would recommend against hand launching for your first flight.

1. You will have better control with both hands on the transmitter.
2. There is a knack to hand launching. It's not difficult but if you don't do it right you could stall your plane right off the bat.
3. If there is something wrong with the plane, (something hooked up incorrectly, etc.) you will not take off or may decide to abort the takeoff. This is much better from the ground rather then a few feet up from a hand launch.

That being said, it is not difficult to launch by hand. Just keep the plane level when you throw it and give it a moment to gather air speed before gently feeding in the elevator (but before it glides to the ground).

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

BTW, welcome to WF and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:53 PM
xAaron

I would also highly recommend having someone with experience teach you to fly. Finding a club would be a good idea. It's possible to teach yourself to fly but you are way better off and will have better results with an instructor.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:57 PM
radioflyer75

Originally Posted by xAaron View Post
I would also highly recommend having someone with experience teach you to fly. Finding a club would be a good idea. It's possible to teach yourself to fly but you are way better off and will have better results with an instructor.
I agree. I've got a friend that used to fly a good bit, and he's going to show me the ropes.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:43 PM
sgomes

Great deal on that SC!! I am a complete beginner with my SC and I have done nothing but hand launches. Everything I have read recommends hand launches for beginners. Just make sure it is trimmed out properly, with very slight up elevator, full throttle, and smooth straight out push should do it. GET MORE PROPS!! No wind, big park, and lotsa altitude (learn from my mistakes)!!

Happy flying.

Steve
Old 12-20-2006, 02:00 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

Default trimming

I just got som advice about the trims.
you need to set it up so that with all the trim tabs in the center all the surfaces are exactly strait.
I dont mean almost strait, i mean 100% strait.
Because on my first flight i had my trim tab over all the way and the plane would stil roll to port.
You can acheive this by bending the pushrods with a pair of long nose pliers.
if you have a instructor he can help you with this.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:00 AM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

Well I'm still just a beginner, but I don't think you should bend the rods. You can simply disconnect the clevis from the horn, then rotate/screw the clevis to extend or retract it along the length of the rod as needed. Then reconnect and check alignment.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 AM
radioflyer75

Originally Posted by herk_1 View Post
Well I'm still just a beginner, but I don't think you should bend the rods. You can simply disconnect the clevis from the horn, then rotate/screw the clevis to extend or retract it along the length of the rod as needed. Then reconnect and check alignment.
What's the clevis?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 AM
The_Rookie
Wow! Look at it go!

Originally Posted by radioflyer75 View Post
What's the clevis?
The clevis is the plastic do-hicky that is connected to the thingy that moves the rudder..

LOL

Talk about the blind leading the blind here, am sorry, I do not know much about the proper names...

Look down the end of the control rod as it connects to the rudder. The plastic piece on the very end of the control rod is the clevis. I do not know the name of the piece the clevis snaps onto.

You can (carefully) pull the clevis apart, thereby allowing the pin to pull out of the plastic piece connected to the rudder, once loose, you can then either screw it out, or screw it in (shortening or making the rod longer) - and you can do the same on the other control rod - the one that moves the Stab. up and down.

(I have read) that you ought to first power on the radio (make sure the trims on the raido are centered) then power on the plane - then move the stick from center to each point, then back to center - that will put the rudder and Stabilizer into their "netrual" points and you will be able to see if they are truly centered or not.

Make small changes via screwing the clevis in or out, then do the same drill over again.

And, would someone please check my work here and correct anything I said wrong?

FYI - all this (above) is based solely on reading, not on doing - have yet to get my own plane yet - but if I said it right, this is how you 'trim a plane'...
Old 12-20-2006, 05:23 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

I prefer hand-launches for maiden flights. If you have someone else who can toss it for you on the first flight, that's a definite plus since you'll already have your fingers on the stick.

Good luck with it, and have fun!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Ahmed

I just got one too. Decided to go to an RC field today instead of a park to see if I could get some advice. The advice was not to fly it today, since it was too windy. Meet a few really nice guys and got lots of advice from them. Hopefully next time I can take it up.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:04 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Welcome to WattFlyer, Ahmed! Wind is definitely the enemy of maiden flights, especially with your first plane. Glad you meet some friendly fellow flyers, though! Here's hoping for calm skies your next time out.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:42 AM
radioflyer75

Well, it was delivered today, and I really am dissapointed in the quality of some of the materials that were included with it. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I had one H#LL of a time trying to screw in the white plastic pieces that cover the landing gear. The screws that were provided seem to be cheap quality, and they were wanting to strip out at the head. Now after seeing pics, I guess I should have left those pieces off, because when I roll the plane on the wheels, the foam keeps getting caught up in the pieces edge.

Only other thing I wasn't happy with was the instructions, I thought they could be a little clearer on a few things.

Overall I'm happy with it though, hadn't flown it yet though. Do the batteries come fully charged? I plugged one up to the ac charger, and the red LED light wouldn't come on at all.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:16 AM
dk_aero

I got the same deal through Diversion (which I thought was a pretty good deal). I also had the same problem with the wheels catching on the strut covers. I bent out the wire gear so they wouldn't rub. I'll probably end up removing them anyway since I want to go to bigger wheels (as I've read in other posts). I haven't had a chance to fly it yet...
Old 12-22-2006, 05:27 AM
radioflyer75

Yeah, I even managed to get an extra prop thrown in somehow or another! So I'm all set now. I cant wait to try out the drop module, but I wish they would come up with some other uses for it.

Also, what does completely discharging the battery by turning the plane on and letting it run at full throttle serve? Instructions said to do that. By the way, I watched the DVD that came with it, and that has to be the corniest video I've seen in awhile. lol
Old 12-22-2006, 05:33 AM
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

If you dont run the moter to discharge the battery alfter flights then you can severely damage the battery runtime.
Also it usualy takes about 3 or 4 charge/discharge cycles for the battery to reach its full capacity.

My plane has a corney vidio to, i think its just a thing with RTF's

Quick Reply: Just bought a supercub!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10825 seconds with 12 queries