General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

I wish I'd never bought that piece of .... !

Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Default I wish I'd never bought that piece of .... !

I saw this thread on RC groups, and thought it might be fun here, especially with a little modification. Might help a few newbies from making the same mistakes too.

Of all the planes you have ever owned, which do you most regret having wasted your money on?

Of all the planes you've ever owned, which would you be happy to spend your money on again?

Last edited by FlyWheel; 03-07-2008 at 05:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2008, 03:54 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

I wish that i have never bought a couple of planes, 1 is the P47 made by wally world by a company called estes i think, it sucked! You had to launch it from a bungee chord for god sakes. Another plane, the air hogs dominator, never had luck with those really, flying times sucked! Another plane is the megatech nightflyer, i broke a darn window with that plane or maybe it was my frustration.

Birds i woulndt mind buying again, GWS Beaver and a Parkzone J3 Cub(BL PNP version this time).
Old 03-07-2008, 04:09 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

GA, Estes makes some fine products. The one you are talking about is designed to be launched with a bungee... You knew that, Or should have anyway, by looking at the box when you bought it.

Had these when you first started out didn't ya?

I wonder if you'd have the same comment about the Beaver had you bought it first and not had any luck with it???
Old 03-07-2008, 05:41 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

I have 3 planes; Firebird Phantom, Wing Dragon 4, and Slow Stick, purchased in that order.

There are none that I wish I hadn't bought even with the bad luck, or is that bad engineering, of the Phantom's boom breaking. Once I fixed the boom the plane flew great.

Fast forward 6 months from the last time I nervously flew the Phantom...

I took my 3 planes out to the field and flew the WD4 first, then I flew the Phantom. I had brought two batteries for the Phantom, but had only charged one thinking I would probably prefer flying the WD4 and SS.
But once I got the Phantom airborne that little bird was a wonder to fly. I guess I just have more experience now, but when I had launched it it flew away from me straight as an arrow. I let it get some speed and then took her up for a spin (figuratively, not literally). It flew so good I had it zipping all over the sky. It was so much fun I stuck the second battery on the charger (at least I brought that along) and took her up a second time.
Some people might have harsh words for that little plane, but I love it and don't think I'd trade or sell it for anything.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

That used lipo in classified......

&

That new lipo from Hong Kong

never again!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Of all the planes you have ever owned, which do you most regret having wasted your money on:

Skyfly. Piece o' junk!

Of all the planes you've ever owned, which would you be happy to spend your money on again:

Hobby People Simple Stick!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Yeah indeed i did have it as a first plane, i dont know the beaver i probably would be happy, since you had more than an actuator to control the plane, that p47 you just hit take off throttle, then you steered it with a non proportioal, actuator. Oh well thats what ya get for 40bucks. When i first got my Parkzone J3 Cub, i loved it!

Now those little 30dollar airhogs motor i wouldnt mind buying again!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
jb48

I`ll never buy again a Parkzone Slo-V and a Cobweb II.
On the other hand, I would not hesitate at all to buy a third Multiplex Easy Star or a second Hobbico SuperStar EP.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Of all the planes you have ever owned, which do you most regret having wasted your money on:

Skyfly. Piece o' junk!

Of all the planes you've ever owned, which would you be happy to spend your money on again:

Hobby People Simple Stick!
I second that. The Skyfly was my first plane. I would have more fun buying it and throwing it into a bon fire. It was drastically underpowered and never had too much luck with the hand launching...it always went straight to the ground, regardless of how how I tossed it.

I LOVE the HZ super cub. I would definitely buy that plane again. Even with it being 27mhz, I love it. I also enjoy flying my Cessna 206 made by Famous. I've never heard of them before, but I will definitely be more inclined to buy their products in the future. I got my Cessna 206 from banana hobby.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0674.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	58694   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0677.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	58695   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0678.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	58696   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0653.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	58697   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0655.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	58698  

Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Worst plane:
Air hogs Mini storm launcher never. never got it to fly.

Best Plane:
HZ super cub hands down. although I wish it came on 72 instead of 27mhz.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Shockflyer - while a worthy concept, the original shockflyers were just WWAAAAAYYY too fragile for learning 3-D on. I broke mine many times without ever crashing it. When it stayed in one piece it flew pretty nice...
Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

Well, been happy with all of my planes except the first one which my kids and I got to start this hobby : Zoom Pilot . It was a piece of junk for the $130 spent..... Probably not produced any more. Luckly, bought an Firebird XL next and it flew great! Hooked us.

Happy to buy again? A Stevens Aero Groove . No question. Haven't got tired of this plane yet. Have built two. Just the right size. Not to big, not to small. Flies very well on 3S1P 2100 packs....

http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/Stev...2-p-17493.html
Old 03-07-2008, 05:23 PM
sgf323

Wish I never bought:

#1: Firebird Commander 2. LHS guy didn't know the difference between it and the Aerobird 3. At the time, neither did I.

#2: Typhoon 2 3D RTF. Bad radio, horrible glitches, the LHS returned it after a few flights.

Would buy again:

#1: Mini Ultra Stick. Very easy to learn on. No bad tendencies.

#2: E-Flite P-47. Flies well and fun to fly a replica but can tip stall at low speed if you turn it too sharp.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:50 PM
matwiyj

Wish I had never purchased:

E-Flite Cessna. Bad design. Harder to put together than most kits, and I've built many.

Would certainly buy again:

GWS Corsair, Spitfire, Beaver
Electrifly Extra 300
Mountain Models Magpie
Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 PM
darylm44

Wish I had never bought:

Slow Jazz II - never could get this plane to fly Even after I had put it away and learned how on my WD4.

Any of the flatout series by GP

Ones I would purchase again:

Wing Dragon 4 - Great plane for learning how to fly - even by yourself

Mini Ultra Stick PNP - great package right out of the box. You don't have to know much to put this one together and it flys great.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
I've always been sorely disapointed when I bought off brand or clone motors, ESCs, batteries and all the other electronic bits.
The difference between 65% and 90% effiency is *huge*. A lot of folks clain you'll never notice the difference, but they're wrong, it's very noticable.
As an example; my Hyperion Yak 54-40e running a Hacker innrunner at 900 watts in preforms much better than my friends Hyperion Yak 54-40e with the Hyperion motor drawing 1200 watts.
They weigh the same, use the same servos and the same battery pack. But mine out climbs, out speeds, and out lasts his. Not only that, but after only a year of use his motor is showing signs of wearing out, it doesn't preform nearly as well as it did when new.

At our field some of the guys get radio hits all the time, some of them are moving into spread spectrum radios because of that.
Now I almost never get hit, even on the same channel.
What's the difference? I use Berg recievers, CC ESCs, and other quality equipment, they are using GWS cheapO recievers and who knows who made them ESCs.

I'm not a rich person by any means, I mean I drive a twenty year old truck, haven't bought new clothes in over a year, and often have to wait long periods before I can afford a new model, but I learned long ago that buying cheap equipment is false economy.

As Keith Shaw used to say; "buy cheap, buy twice!"

RobII
Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

2 planes come to mind, both I purchased before I had the proper gear and flight skills to fly them, both turned out to be awome planes in the end after I knew what I was doing and after I upgraded to brushless and lipo's and after I badmouthed them, not knowing what I was talking about. The multiplex microjet, and the gws mustang.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 AM
pstrdenver

worst: Aerobird Swift

Best so far: Typhoon 2 3d
Old 03-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
2 planes come to mind, both I purchased before I had the proper gear and flight skills to fly them, both turned out to be awome planes in the end after I knew what I was doing
Hey now,
And that's why I don't like to say this or that model is no good. I've had a few models that I never could get a decent flight out of and others that every one else said was garbage that thought were very fine fliers.

Still in all, I'll admit the Ace Simple Ultimate bipe was too heavy, too hard to rog, and generally less fun to fly than a powered brick.
Of course that was back in the days of Big Round Jugs and brushed monster truck motors. With LiPos and lighter Bl motors I may not be such a pig. Oh, and my glow buddies say it's a blast with an O.S. .15fp...
RobII
Old 03-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

----->E-flite cap232 profile.

----->Great Planes Ultimate Biplane ep.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:50 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

I got my son a Firebird Commander a few years ago. Very difficult to fly well since it had no elevator. We got a few decent flights out of it, but nothing great at all. I dont recomend it at all.

Any flying wing I would buy. You just cant go wrong with any of them. There is just something about the speed, the noise, the maneuverability and the ruggedness of them that is a riot.

Laine.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:24 PM
gasser1933

Originally Posted by mikewratterman View Post
I second that. The Skyfly was my first plane. I would have more fun buying it and throwing it into a bon fire. It was drastically underpowered and never had too much luck with the hand launching...it always went straight to the ground, regardless of how how I tossed it.

I LOVE the HZ super cub. I would definitely buy that plane again. Even with it being 27mhz, I love it. I also enjoy flying my Cessna 206 made by Famous. I've never heard of them before, but I will definitely be more inclined to buy their products in the future. I got my Cessna 206 from banana hobby.
I am interested in getting one of the Cessnas. What kind of foam is it made with? Did you get the RTF, if so how are the receiver, servos etc ?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:08 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Never buy again: Flyzone Diablo - Grossly underpowered, pod on the bottom eats ground. I've replaced brushed motor with brushless and put the pod on top on plane. It flies now, but not without a great deal of time and expense.

WILL buy again: Parkzone Trojan T28 : It's an excellent bird. I love it. I'll probably have one as long as they make replacement parts.

No regret purchase: Hobbyzone Supercub. A great place to start. I can't say enough good about it. Will be gutting and replacing electronics.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
HeadMaster

Thanks to this forum ...none that I regret.

Would buy again...Mini Ultra Stick
Old 03-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

I would not buy a flyzone Redhawk.

I would buy a SuperCub and a T-hawk..

Quick Reply: I wish I'd never bought that piece of .... !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.18278 seconds with 18 queries