Thunder Power lipo losing charge quickly? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thunder Power lipo losing charge quickly?

Old 07-13-2008, 04:58 AM
praztek

Default Thunder Power lipo losing charge quickly?

I have the following two 3 cell batteries and after letting them fully charge " 4.2 v " per cell, I only get approx 1 min flying time and already hear the motor winding down? I put them on the DN power charger/balancer and it reports each cell being at 3.8-3.9 v.

Thunder Power , 2070 mah, 11.1v
Thunder Power extreme v2, 2200 mah, 11.1v

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

What is the motor and propeller setup you are spinning with these batteries?
btw, the motor will wind down somewhat when the batteries come off their peak. I would guess you still have at least 5 minutes of flying until they drop to 3.6 volts per cell.
I personally fly mine until I'm down to about 3.2 v/cell. Yeah, I live on the wild side because the greatest danger to batteries is the loose nut on the transmitter, so they'll never survive to see 500 cycles anyway.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 AM
praztek

I'm using the hacker a20 6xl with align 315 fibers.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 05:16 PM
mred
Super Contributor

I think what you are hearing is th battery coming down off the peak. When you first run a freshly charged battery, it has a peak voltage that does not last very long. Get a watt meter and put it in your system and I think you will see what I mean. After it comes down a little, it will level off and run until it almost gets to the end of it's charge and then start tapering off again pretty fast. As long as you don't fly it to long when the motor starts dropping again your OK, but if you keep going until cutoff, you may be running your batteries to far. Some of the cutoff voltages are to low and will wreck a battery fast. Never ever go below 3 volts per sell and you should stop at 3.2 or 3.3 to keep your battery life longer. If you go below 3 volts per cell, your charger may not even bring it back up again.
Ed