RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New spread spectrum system announced by Horizon Hobby for parkflyers

Old 10-20-2005, 09:12 PM
admin
Administrator

Thumbs up New spread spectrum system announced by Horizon Hobby for parkflyers

NEWS FLASH. Just got this from George Hicks. Very cool stuff for parkflyers using spread sprectrum. A breakthrough for air...

Guys,
I thought you might be interested in Horizon's new Spread Spektrum system for aircraft that debuted today at 11:00am CST in LA at the I-Hobby Trade
Show. I've been a part of the beta testing team and the new DX6 is a
wonderful radio system directed primarily at foamies and parkflyers. The radio utilizes similar 2.4Ghz Spread Spektrum technology as the surface based radios employ. I've been flying the system for quite a while now in foamies and micro helis and it has been completely interference free. The biggest difference between the air and surface systems is that the aircraft version use two receivers in a single package...also each dual Rx package has two 3.75" antennas which are great for foamies because of the reduced length. Basically the end user sees no more glitches or PPM hits plus the reassurance that no one can blame a foamie for shooting down a 72MHZ based system. I love going out to the field and walking right past the frequency board. When guys ask what channel I'm on I say that, "I don't really know".
Feel free to let your friends know about this new product. I think this
may ultimately be the new approach to how we deal with frequency / interference problems in the future. I also think this product certainly indicates the beginning of a new chapter in R/C aviation's history.
I believe the cost of the system will be around $200 for the Tx, Rx, and 4 servos....$60 for additional Rx units.
Here's a website for more information on the DX6 and other SS technology:
http://www.spektrumrc.com

George Hicks
Old 10-20-2005, 09:27 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

That is too cool. Great price no crystals to worry about and no more frequency control.

Wonder how fast the others will jump on this.....

Mike
Old 10-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

I'd like to know what the range is for say an electron 6, and this new dx6?
They say it's "enough". I think it mentions a 1/2 mile. Does anyone know what the range is for an electron 6? I take my park flyers very high every now and then. So range is definately an issue for me.

Steve
Old 10-21-2005, 12:24 AM
aeropal

Last edited by aeropal; 02-16-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:41 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I'd like to know what the range is for say an electron 6, and this new dx6?
They say it's "enough". I think it mentions a 1/2 mile. Does anyone know what the range is for an electron 6? I take my park flyers very high every now and then. So range is definately an issue for me.

Steve
Electron 6 and 72Mhz full range TX's are about 1 mile. Although you could never see most planes at that distance.

They listed 1/2mile, and did not recommend it for gliders.

I'm still on board.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:26 AM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

Okay, so you won't shoot down somebody's B-17 bomber with 4 engines on it and over a year's worth of work. Fine. And there are no "channels" associated with spread spektrum? So what happens when you show up at field with your spread radio system thingy and another guy shows up with his? Do you shoot each other down? And what if your gonna buy another rx for another foamie? How do you know your going to get the right signal or channel to match your tx? Sounds okay for parkies since they don't get too far away from you anyways. Hay, anything is better than a hitec feather eh?

Dave...
Old 10-21-2005, 04:30 AM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

If you study the specs on the radio it will work like this.

There are 80 channels. You turn on the transmitter and it seeks the next available channel and gives that information to the receiver. No shooting down. No frequency conflict. Now if you just so happen to be person number 81 then you'll have to wait. Probably better that way anyways. Chances are someone else will have a plane that looks .....JUST LIKE YOUR
Old 10-21-2005, 04:38 AM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Originally Posted by debhicks View Post

There are 80 channels. You turn on the transmitter and it seeks the next available channel and gives that information to the receiver. No shooting down. No frequency conflict. Now if you just so happen to be person number 81 then you'll have to wait. Probably better that way anyways. Chances are someone else will have a plane that looks .....JUST LIKE YOUR
Make that 40 seeing as how it uses two at a time for flight.
Your DX6 selects the channels for you.
When you fire it up, your DX6 automatically searches for, selects and locks onto two clear channels. That's all there is to it. And because international regulations for the band are very strict, your radio will neither sustain interference from nor cause interference to any other 2.4GHz device worldwide. And that applies, of course, to its simultaneous operation in close proximity to other 2.4GHz RC radios as well.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:41 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Originally Posted by debhicks View Post

Actually, it seeks out 2 channels. The exrta one is for redundancy. So that if the receiver looses one signal, it switches over to the other in a couple millisecs.

(EDIT) Oops! Late on the post. Disregard.
Steve
Old 10-21-2005, 04:55 AM
N3CLI
Retired Pharmacist

Default Ht Electron 6 range

The range of the Electron 6 double conversion is over one mile.

More than enough to make the largest plane appear invisable at best.

Fred AMA68196
Old 10-21-2005, 05:13 AM
admin
Administrator

this is for parkflyers only right now. it does not have full range as a "normal" system has. I'm sure a full range system must be in the works. For now this is great for all parkflyer and backyard flyer type planes or helis.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

I like the idea that there is an audible alarm that sounds when you are close to the maximum range.

Steve
Old 10-21-2005, 03:22 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by LuckyArmpit View Post
Okay, so you won't shoot down somebody's B-17 bomber with 4 engines on it and over a year's worth of work. Fine. And there are no "channels" associated with spread spektrum? So what happens when you show up at field with your spread radio system thingy and another guy shows up with his? Do you shoot each other down? And what if your gonna buy another rx for another foamie? How do you know your going to get the right signal or channel to match your tx? Sounds okay for parkies since they don't get too far away from you anyways. Hay, anything is better than a hitec feather eh?

Dave...
Dave maybe you ought to read the article posted. It addresses all of these "concerns".

This is the future of our sport. Watch and see, I suspect you will see these from all the radio manufactures (Airtronics already has their surface one relesed).

4 pages of reading material here:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Better/DX6.html

But in a nutshell the TX when turned on does not broadcast any signal. It scans for 2.4g devices in range and selects an unused part of the spectrum to broadcast on. So when the next guy shows up he detects your signal and so on. 79 TX's allowed on at one time before you have an issue.

Mike
Old 10-21-2005, 03:44 PM
1987tc

It shows at least that they are doing more then just talking about it!

Old 10-21-2005, 03:49 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
It shows at least that they are doing more then just talking about it!
No kidding. Nice to see that someone is addressing the issues with 72 mHz (here in the states). Great to be on 2.4gHz.

It will be interesting to see what kind of home phone, wireless router rejection it has also.

Great idea, fantastic price and sure looks like the future is here to me.

Mike
Old 10-21-2005, 03:54 PM
1987tc

I am also pleasently surprised at how good the 1st air system is and the price is also with in reason.
Competition should only make this better.

Old 10-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Hmmm...I might have to get one of these to test when it becomes available.
-Mike
Old 10-21-2005, 06:02 PM
bsoder

if you do helis, I hear this only has three-point curves.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:12 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
No kidding. Nice to see that someone is addressing the issues with 72 mHz (here in the states). Great to be on 2.4gHz.

It will be interesting to see what kind of home phone, wireless router rejection it has also.

Great idea, fantastic price and sure looks like the future is here to me.

Mike
If you haven't noticed, the cordless phone is already on it's way up to the 5.4gHz range.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:36 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Yea amazing...
Old 10-21-2005, 07:49 PM
larrymcg

I guess this system still has the issue of someone driving to the flying field with their spread spectrum transmitter already on! With 80 channels maybe the odds are fairly good that a mishap will NOT occur?
--Larry

Last edited by larrymcg; 10-22-2005 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

One can always come up with a scenario for disaster. But, your scenario can happen with equipment we already use.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:53 AM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Originally Posted by larrymcg View Post
I guess this system still has the issue of someone driving to the flying field with their spread spectrum transmitter already on! With 80 channels maybe the odds are fairly good that a mishap will occur?
--Larry
No, like stated above the transmitter will only transmit on clear channels so if there aren't two channels available it won't be transmitting anything.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:43 AM
larrymcg

ForestCam,
Is that true even if the channels were clear when the transmitter was turned on?
--Larry
Old 10-22-2005, 03:34 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by larrymcg View Post
ForestCam,
Is that true even if the channels were clear when the transmitter was turned on?
--Larry
OK yes I guess if you turn your TX on for the 30 minute drive to the field and the yours is on ch 1 and 2 (for example) and the guy at the field is on and his set picked 1 and 2 then you would conflict when in range.

So according to their web site the redundant feature would kick in and one guy would go to ch1 and the other ch2.

Who knows?!

In that case the if you crash the guy driving up owes you a new plane and airborne system just like today. Nothing is foolproof.

Nothing stops that from happening today on 72 mHz systems either.

I am more interested in the rejection from home base cordless phones and wireless routers. Two large current users of that spectrum.

Mike

Quick Reply: New spread spectrum system announced by Horizon Hobby for parkflyers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16406 seconds with 13 queries