Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

What did you do if the weather is bad and you can't fly

Old 11-30-2011, 02:19 PM
babylon5

Default What did you do if the weather is bad and you can't fly

The past few weeks it rain almost everyday. Heavy rain and most of the flying sites are flooded with pools of water. Since it's no flying time like many RC flyer I took sometime to repair my plane..but still it rain and it's still there is " no fly zone" so me and my pals took up other creative hobbies.
See what we did. It was still raining when we took this video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOb0XUQFExA[/media]

Share with us what you did beside RC hobbies when the weather do not permit you to fly.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 AM
babylon5

While I am not flying or building any RC aircraft I spend sometimes with friends putting this beautiful music which I would like to share with my fellow flyers. This music is call Pachebel's Canon in D. It took me 6 months to learn the melody from beginning to end and i hold you like it. see link
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx154a2uqjo&feature=youtu.be[/media]
Old 07-10-2012, 03:19 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well when it's too windy to fly R/C I'll take one of these up.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWcHRgjYGx8[/media]
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Clean the garage, work on my car, visit a hobby shop, or work on the plane.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 AM
babylon5

Firemanbill, I take my hats off and salute you. Wow flying a real plane when it's too windy to fly RC aircraft that's new!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by babylon5 View Post
While I am not flying or building any RC aircraft I spend sometimes with friends putting this beautiful music which I would like to share with my fellow flyers. This music is call Pachebel's Canon in D. It took me 6 months to learn the melody from beginning to end and i hold you like it. see link
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx154a2uqjo&feature=youtu.be[/media]
Very nice! If took 6 months to learn the melody, I hope you're not playing the guitar part (5 chords repeated over and over and over) No, but seriously, you guys sound good. Looks like you're having fun too!

I used to play all kinds of music. The most fun was a renaissance band where I played ancient instruments, such as crummhorns. Unfortunately, I don't have the time for much music anymore.

When I'm not flying, I'm spending time with my family and do upkeep on our house. That's pretty much it...
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM
babylon5

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Very nice! If took 6 months to learn the melody, I hope you're not playing the guitar part (5 chords repeated over and over and over) No, but seriously, you guys sound good. Looks like you're having fun too!

I used to play all kinds of music. The most fun was a renaissance band where I played ancient instruments, such as crummhorns. Unfortunately, I don't have the time for much music anymore.

When I'm not flying, I'm spending time with my family and do upkeep on our house. That's pretty much it...
I am the Ukulele lead player. Why it took so long to learnt the melodies portion because Pachebels Canon tune (the complete version) is not easy to pick up. Yes we are having lots of fun making music together. It will be nice if you can continue playing the instruments that you always love. Cheers
Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 PM
startazz

I go on the RC flight sim and do all the practicing that i keep putting off.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I live in Southern California. We have a state ordinance prohibiting "weather precluding RC flying"
Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 PM
startazz

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
I live in Southern California. We have a state ordinance prohibiting "weather precluding RC flying"
Thats what i like to read but to long in the tooth to start thinking of emigrating,but it would be heaven to go fly when you want and not worry about the rain,not so much the wind as we get use to that over here in the UK.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Do repairs while watching boob tube
Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
You Californian's aren't sending all your bad weather here are you
It's been raining pretty much six weeks solid here, June was the wettest since records began and July is looking worse, plus we've now got fog to kill off any remote chance of flying between the torrents.

So what do i do when i cant fly....Maybe I'll go build an Ark

Steve
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 PM
startazz

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
It's been raining pretty much six weeks solid here, June was the wettest since records began and July is looking worse, plus we've now got fog to kill off any remote chance of flying between the torrents.

Steve
That last comment made me laugh JPFlyer,if you need any help mate give me a shout and i'll try and get up your end and give you a hand,maybe we can make it big enough to fly off the deck between the down pours.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

My brothers live in Virginia, both sent me texts over the weekend (one had 105, one had 102). Little brother was at a pool party, they kicked him out of the pool at midnight - water temp 90. I texted them back a picture of my wife and I on our back patio, with the propane heater on

My guess is that I'm getting coal for Christmas.....
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM
babylon5

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post

Steve
Do you need Noah's help with the plans? I can always ring him up. ha ha ha .
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 AM
pablo27

Well I've decorating the house over the last couple of weeks, fitting in a couple of flights on less windy/dry days and then today I cleaned my garage/hanger out today in-between thunderstorms !
This jet stream hanging over the UK is here to stay, apparently for the Olympics too .
Old 12-22-2017, 05:14 AM
babylon5

Since Christmas is coming with lots of snow in the northern hemisphere. I wish every members a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year . May your Christmases be Merry and Bright with my rendition of the song "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1_K5xCJNp8
Old 12-22-2017, 12:32 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Latvia has had one of the wettest years ever ... the ground is saturated ... water just laying everywhere. Even now with winter upon us - it should be cold, snow and sorted ... but still +temps and water everywhere.

What to do ?

Try and drum up interest to make that change to a model you decided a year ago ! Plan the next scratchbuild ... get out the WLToys / Echine indoor jobs ... play with sim and get bored !!!

Must say though - watching my new model den and garage go up is nice !!

Nigel
Old 12-22-2017, 04:21 PM
babylon5

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Latvia has had one of the wettest years ever ... the ground is saturated ... water just laying everywhere. Even now with winter upon us - it should be cold, snow and sorted ... but still +temps and water everywhere.

What to do ?

Try and drum up interest to make that change to a model you decided a year ago ! Plan the next scratchbuild ... get out the WLToys / Echine indoor jobs ... play with sim and get bored !!!

Must say though - watching my new model den and garage go up is nice !!

Nigel
I do get lots of rain usually the month of November and December and the flying fields will be water logged even after the rain stopped. The wet ground and field will kill the the ESC especially after a landing. Usually I stop flying, maybe meet some other flyers and chat over coffee and snacks or built new aircraft or just have fun with my Guitars and Ukuleles.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:56 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

View from my drive entrance ...

Front view ... 2x 3m garage entrances, 1x 1.2m store entrance ...

Nigel
Old 12-22-2017, 11:03 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Picked up four new NIB planes, two radios, several batteries, two chargers, and a bunch of gear from a guy getting out of the hobby so I've been busy sorting out everything and started building the planes.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 AM
Stick Dude

Off time? My Gibson sg, or fender stratoblaster, my key board, build models, build rockets, love em! Paint, draw, work on my Porschaaahhhh, Work on my Cr-25o's, Lots of things to do!
Old 11-07-2018, 08:55 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Recently dragged out my indoor stuff ..... 911 heli ... 959 quad .... And the Echine ones ... I'd forgotten how much fun they can be.

Nigel
Old 12-17-2018, 02:41 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

What I like to do in the winter time when its cold and snowing outside.