Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Wich beginner heli to buy?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Nezz

Default Wich beginner heli to buy?

Hello everyone!

I'd like to buy an RC helicopter. My first choice was a CP heli, and of course RTF. I'm starting to practice with RealFlight G4 soon.
My main aim is to fly outdoors too (when its not windy), but when I can't go out indoors a little.
My first choice was a Blade CP Pro, but after I saw many different reviews I can't really choose between Blade CP Pro 2 and HoneyBee King 2.
Wich helicopter would you recommend?
I live in hungary, so I'd like to order it from an another country, what kind of extra things would I need (1-2 extra battery packs, replace kits(?), training kit)? I'd like to stay below 400$.

Thanks,
Nezz
Old 08-22-2008, 04:54 AM
Twmaster

The E-Sky King 2 is a far better heli to learn on if those are your two choices. Parts for the King are available world-wide via mail order.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 AM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

Learning on any heli is going to be a challenge. I did it on a CP Pro as have others. King 2 is also good. The biggest challenge you are going to run into is the cost of parts.

Buying a good used heli may be the way for you to go. I know from experience that the RTF helis aren't really ready to fly. Trimming is often way out of balance. If you can get a good used, you may be further ahead in the long run. Just some food for thought.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Nezz

Originally Posted by HeliG View Post
Learning on any heli is going to be a challenge. I did it on a CP Pro as have others. King 2 is also good. The biggest challenge you are going to run into is the cost of parts.

Buying a good used heli may be the way for you to go. I know from experience that the RTF helis aren't really ready to fly. Trimming is often way out of balance. If you can get a good used, you may be further ahead in the long run. Just some food for thought.
I'm going to stay by HBK2. The parts are not that expensive and there in hungary we have a "fan club", they order parts every week.
I better stay away at first from a powerful and expensive (used) heli. I'd like to buy a base heli at first then upgrade it when I learn how to fly
Old 08-22-2008, 05:11 PM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

Welcome to the hobby. Enjoy the challenge! It is a great way to spend time (and some money) but if you put some time into G4 first, you can save yourself some cash in the long run.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Nezz

Originally Posted by HeliG View Post
Welcome to the hobby. Enjoy the challenge! It is a great way to spend time (and some money) but if you put some time into G4 first, you can save yourself some cash in the long run.
Wich heli would you recommend in RF G4? Dominion 3D is good, but its much more powerful. The Watt Not is electric and hard to control, quite slow. I'd like to buy a Belt CP 2 (I hope it'll come out soon). And something about the sim: whats the control difference between CP and FP? I don't see any. Looks like every heli is FP to me.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:35 PM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

Nezz,

While starting out on your heli journey, start with a larger heli. The Dominion is good then start moving to a smaller one. I fly a Trex 450SE V2 and the downloaded heli of the same name is very accurate in its flight characteristics. If you were unaware, you can go the the knife edge forums and download tons of aircraft in thier swap pages. http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/

The controls between Collective Pitch and Fixed Pitch are the same. The diffrence is that you cannot go inverted with the FP. The idle up switch is on the top left of the controller. On a CP, it increases the head speed and allows the pitch angle to go full movement both ways.

As far as choosing a CP or FP heli on G4, you will need to know what the heli really is. I don't believe that the sim will tell you if it is CP or FP.

Enjoy and ask any more questions you may have.

Warren.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 AM
frogfrog83

I bought my King 2 from Toysonics.com, and it fly very good.
They have the special now, only $124.99 RTF
here is the link
http://www.toysonics.com/6-7ch-rc-helicopter/
Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Nezz

Originally Posted by frogfrog83 View Post
I bought my King 2 from Toysonics.com, and it fly very good.
They have the special now, only $124.99 RTF
here is the link
http://www.toysonics.com/6-7ch-rc-helicopter/
Thanks for the info. Retail price: $359.99, now thats funny Carbon retail price and almost Blade 400. Johnhobby got them for 128 bucks.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 AM
intro

Originally Posted by Nezz View Post
Hello everyone!

I'd like to buy an RC helicopter. My first choice was a CP heli, and of course RTF. I'm starting to practice with RealFlight G4 soon.
My main aim is to fly outdoors too (when its not windy), but when I can't go out indoors a little.
My first choice was a Blade CP Pro, but after I saw many different reviews I can't really choose between Blade CP Pro 2 and HoneyBee King 2.
Wich helicopter would you recommend?
I live in hungary, so I'd like to order it from an another country, what kind of extra things would I need (1-2 extra battery packs, replace kits(?), training kit)? I'd like to stay below 400$.

Thanks,
Nezz
Hello from "across the pond". I might be sounding like a sales rep for the Blade MSR (I'm not) but you might search posts under my name. For a new pilot it delivers a durable, forgiving airframe, and great scale performance. It's sold with everything you need to get in the air! No 3d other than perhaps inside loops, but, for a beginner, you've gotta walk before you can run.

Best of luck!