Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

First CCPM heli, which one?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
rudderfeet

Originally Posted by SpotTheCat View Post
I didn't stop tail-in hovering until I could run the whole pack out on one hover in my 8x8' learning space.
That's a solid approach and is what I did as well. On a Honey Bee, that's a really long time!

After that stage I progressed to 45 degree tail-in hovering. Then to tail-in forward and backward flight, 45 degree tail-in forward and backward flight, side-in hovering & forward and backward flight, and then transitioned into round circuits. When I finally got brave enough after lots of sim time, I took the heli up 50-100 feet and turned her nose in for short periods and am now doing lots of circuit practice in all orientations without training gear.

bassplayinDude you'll get it, just keep practicing! And get a sim if you don't have one already - it's saved me a mint in parts.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:54 PM
SpotTheCat

Originally Posted by rudderfeet View Post
That's a solid approach and is what I did as well. On a Honey Bee, that's a really long time!

After that stage I progressed to 45 degree tail-in hovering. Then to tail-in forward and backward flight, 45 degree tail-in forward and backward flight, side-in hovering & forward and backward flight, and then transitioned into round circuits. When I finally got brave enough after lots of sim time, I took the heli up 50-100 feet and turned her nose in for short periods and am now doing lots of circuit practice in all orientations without training gear.

bassplayinDude you'll get it, just keep practicing! And get a sim if you don't have one already - it's saved me a mint in parts.
I'm not good at hovering in all orientations. I can fly a plane in all orientations, but hovering not so much. Heli flying has made me better at plane flying though (even if I still suck at helis), I would suggest it to any pilot who wants to fly their planes better.

It is a long time on the HBFP, but I did do little tail in paths around the house. I progressed to doing "missions" like flying through hallways, door openings, landing on and taking off of a table, etc. BTW the first time I did the table I crashed hard and broke a skid... the ground effect on the HBFP really helps it out! Learning how to use ground effect to land is also really important on a fixed pitch, probably more so than on a CCPM where you have more altitude authority.

On the sim (FMS) I can take a 3d heli and just fly it balls out, all orientations, recovery is easy. Flippity floppety, loops, etc. The real thing is just so much harder, my heli isn't nearly as repsonsive, stable, or powerful (plus it can't go upsidedown).
Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Only made it to FP, newbie here on the heli experinece...

My luck was minimal with the HBFP, tho managed brief hovers, needs loads more tune up...have a Pro 2 still boxed...so stepping back abit and looking for a more stable flyer read threads on the Hirobo SRB Quark, indeed pricy, but so far my investments and limited succes have supassed, so went for the Quark, gads it flys right out of the box, abit small, will make it outdoors on calm days, near the stability of a coaxial, nice to know there are models out there that will fly for you, so if your not making much headway, Quark will defintely do it, it amazing...<>..

My investments todate
HBFP, limited success
HB King 2, its now got a whole lot of shaken going on, no go
Eflite Pro 2, keeping it boxed for later
Eflites micro coaxial, a definte winner get one, nearly land on a poker chip
Hirobo SRB Quark, let me know if there is another mini even close, I'll answer that, absolutely not, its a beauty right out of the box, increadible FP Flyer..worth every pennie..<>..its ROCK SOLID...if your having issues but insist on learning on these mini's, get this one..<>...
Old 03-29-2009, 04:29 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Several thoughts based on the helicopters I have including (CX2, CP-Pro with dual tail motor - headlock gyro, HBK2 with brushless-CNC head -headlock gyro)

1. IMHO coaxial helicopters like the CX2 are a great way to learn.
o More stable than small/cheap CCPM helicopters
o More durable and less expensive to repair
o Pilot is limiting factor until you can hover in all directions and fly circuits
o Less frustrating than CCPM (Fly-Crash-Repair)
o More opportunity to fly indoors with smaller / stable coaxial heli

2. Blade CP Pro is reasonably heli but less stable than coaxial and can get out of control in a hurry.
o MUST USE TRAINING GEAR TO START

3. HBK2 is belt driven so more responsive tail but more difficult for new flyer to set up correctly. (Rotor speed must be higher to have enough RPM in tail for stability. Common complaint of unstable yaw is due to lack of rotor speed.) HBK2 would also benefit from computer radio. Stock radio is adequate but controls are hyper sensitive and no way to adjust.)
o MUST USE TRAINING GEAR TO START

Clint
Old 03-30-2009, 05:59 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Clint
Great info there, curious how far along you are on example the Eflite CP pro, this ones defintely more respsponsive and down the line for me...

My personal beginner experience todate gives all thumbs up on the Fixed Pitch Quark, sadly its pricy, but even more fun to fly than example the coaxials, keeping me busy at the moment..<>..the difference moving to the Quark from coaxial is tho the Quark is highly stable, does require more mini stick inputs, again responds abit faster but nothing major, Quark todate is my favorite..<>..
Old 04-01-2009, 05:42 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Just popped the box on the Eflite Pro 2 CP and its hovering already, blew me away, some Honey Bees have yet to master and again great fun with the FP Quark, stable mini flyer indeed...

Pro 2

Decided to only rev it up last night and kept watching the movments on the heli just nearing lift off, made stick corrections, when able to keep it level, did some bunnie hops and actually held for brief moments, was stunned, careful here this one moves with authority and easy to go out of control and wham into something, after several minutes did slightly higher hover and toward end nearing a full minute...

Tonight 2nd outing with the Pro 2, I slowly advanced to knee high after several bunnie hops to sharpen the feel for this one, it held very well, eventually nearing a minute and for safety set her down, long way to go but I'm happy with this one..<>..

I really don't suggest this but I'm not using trainer gear here, but soon as it goes off course at all I set her down immediately, and most early ventures are inches from the pavement, I still say put on the trainers...

This is my first CP that flys out of the box, 2nd by the FP Quark, course most of the coaxials are super fun but low performance after flying awhile...

BEST ..<>..
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by phillipmorris View Post
Clint
Great info there, curious how far along you are on example the Eflite CP pro, this ones defintely more respsponsive and down the line for me...

My personal beginner experience todate gives all thumbs up on the Fixed Pitch Quark, sadly its pricy, but even more fun to fly than example the coaxials, keeping me busy at the moment..<>..the difference moving to the Quark from coaxial is tho the Quark is highly stable, does require more mini stick inputs, again responds abit faster but nothing major, Quark todate is my favorite..<>..
Have you ever flown CX2?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Hi, oh yeah love the CX2, but in my case....

Oh yes, CX2 is a super one, note it is coaxial, tho has some authority, note the Quark is a Fixed Pitch, while again the CX2 is coaxial, had amazing flights with the CX2, but admit the Quark is the advancement, in my case needed for successful progression to the CP, now only hovering with the PRO2, but its increadible fun todate..for those with issues still suggest a FP, makes life easier...<>..BEST ..<>..

Hint I could grab the sticks and fly the CX2 very well, while the Quark need the ball of the thumbs for instant reactions for best flying, so is a difference going on...<>..its slightly faster responses helps to enter the CP world..<>..also the Quark requires slightl more inputs to fly correctly..<>..again the advantage...Hope that helps, BEST ..<>..

Just a week or two flying the Quark, you'll be ready to hover a stable CP, my thumbs up on the Eflite Pro2, it beat the heck out of the box on the HBKINGS by along shot...<>..

Last input from my flying buddie, he at last got the HBFP, a real bargain heli, anyway is now hovering, but had loads of issues getting it to go as well as the feel for flight, so it certainly can be done, looks like he's the better pilot, hi hi..<>..