Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Anyone tried the Glue and Go series from Hobby King ?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 PM
soarrich
Soarrich

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
All that's needed is similar to my F15 ... just run a second rod from the servos to ailerons.

Make both ailerons and elevators into elevons .... because both sets are well behind the CoG ....

To stop the battery shooting forward in landing and also to provide support for the 'bottom tray' ..... personally I would be reluctant to cut into that pillar.

Nigel
Nigel
I'll give your idea a try, but I may still go to ailerons and elevator. The picture is what I did.
I think the hi loads on the pillar are in compression on landing, the battery carries that load.
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8374.JPG (272.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 AM
soarrich
Soarrich

Default Good flights today.

I took my MIG out yesterday, nothing but problems. I had used HK foam glue on the hinges earlier and tested them about 2 hours later, everything looked good. I had used Becon foam glue for this purpose before and it work great, the HK glue looks the same but doesn't dry as quickly. I thought it would work the same, but it doesn't. In the two days of drying the HK glue became so hard the elverons hardly moved. Now I know I tested them a couple hours after putting the glue on the hinges, but I don't know if I checked the movement before I flew the first time, so I don't know if it was the hinges or the design that was responsible for the slow rolling. I had fixed the movement problem, and added ailerons now I had the problem of too much roll, and although I think it was balanced where Nigel said it should be balanced, it did a back flip in about it's own length. To make a long story short I stuff it in a couple of times.

Today I balanced it at the vortex of the blue "V" on the fuse, it took 2 big fender washers to balance it about 4 1/2" in front of the motor mount and I put in lots of expo. Now it can be controlled in roll, and it will still do the back flip, but it takes about 5 feet to do the flip.

I have a old 9CAP Futaba that I put a Orange 2.4 mod in, it works great, I use the $9 Orange RX or $4.50 Rxs that I got from Banggood.com
Attached Images
IMG_8375.JPG (539.9 KB, 46 views)
IMG_8376.JPG (393.1 KB, 38 views)
IMG_8377.JPG (256.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:04 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I upped the roll rate by upping the the travel of the elevons on my Dx9. Works better
Old 02-16-2017, 05:09 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If you watch my videos .... you can see that she does the 'Snake-bite' just after launch ... but soon settles down.

The roll rate is slow especially to left due to the amount of trim put in to fly level.

I need to sort out laterally to get that trim out. Adding weight to left side.

I am going to add rudders and have not set myself on coupled ailerons / elevators .. I may separate them.

Nigel
Old 02-17-2017, 02:23 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Flew mine today Yawn. My favorite warm up plane. Really performs tight flips very well. Flies inverted with ease. Feel like I can almost fly her blindfolded. Hope they come out with more laser cut models like this one.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:16 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Flew mine today Yawn. My favorite warm up plane. Really performs tight flips very well. Flies inverted with ease. Feel like I can almost fly her blindfolded. Hope they come out with more laser cut models like this one.
Hawk ... you've never commented about amount of trim you have on yours ... do you have a lot like I have ? My elevons are trimmed maybe 20% of left movement to stay level ... its a lot ! I'm thinking of adding weight to the left to try and remove it - give me left roll capability back !!

Nigel
Old 02-17-2017, 11:46 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I'll go double check. I don't recall it being as bad as my last F-22. Had major wing warp in that one.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:11 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I looked at my DX9 and I had given her about 4-5 clicks of right aileron and I needed a lot of up. Not too bad for one of these really. The geometry of the laser cut pieces is a good. Foam is much better than the cheapie Dollar Tree foam board so hardly any warping.

I love the windy days where I can park her into the wind. I had no trouble flying her inverted but having rudders would help with steering.

Hawk
Old 02-19-2017, 09:32 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Can you photo looking direct at back so I can see wing level and elevons when powered up ready to fly ?

I will check mine again but I have serious UP left elevon to counter strong right roll .....

Nigel

Last edited by solentlife; 02-19-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:01 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Sure
Will do today.
Cheers,

Hawk
Old 02-19-2017, 07:40 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Hi Nigel,

Here’s two pics, fore and aft views of my elevons at neutral after trimming for level flight.
I also took a short vid to further demonstrate what I have going on. Yes, there’s a very slight disparity but IMHO, not too bad at all for these type of foamies.

I upped the rates and she rolls better but more of a barrel roll than a tight, drillbit-like axial. Still think the big V-stabs get in her own way. I do like how she flips/loops and how easy she flies inverted.

I hope they continue with these little gems but who knows with HK these days. Hey, for $22.00 ? Not worth the time to cut out the pieces myself from plans.

Front View

Rear View

Short Vid: https://youtu.be/-cbhaCTBhJc

Best,

Hawk
Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Compared to mine - that's heaven !!

Nigel
Old 02-19-2017, 10:22 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Omg ! Something's amiss. The only thing I can think of is that the wing is not laying true. Higher on one side ? Does it look square to you ?

I recon there's not much else that could cause something so extreme. Sigh
Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I agree .... imagine first flight - it was unbelievable fighting the roll !

I need to start laying straight edges along surfaces and find out why ...

I will fit ailerons and rudders as well ... to help improve ...

Nigel
Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 PM
soarrich
Soarrich

I flew mine the last two days and mine looks about like dahawk's.

The only negative I can say is the while using the underhand launch as the plane accelerates away it pitches down slightly, once it comes up to speed it flies level, so I assume it's a thrust higher than center of drag at slow speeds issue.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Mine tends to pitch up and sometimes if not careful does the Russian Snakebite !! Or Cobra manoeuvre as you guys call it ..

I have looked at the wing and yes it has a warp to it .. not much - but over the span will make difference. Left wing is slight higher AoA - maybe a degree or so ... Now I have to find way to try and get it out ...

Nigel
Old 02-20-2017, 07:28 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Have any heavy books ? or 6S lipos?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Have any heavy books ? or 6S lipos?
Yep ... will have to set up a 'bending platform'

Nigel
Old 02-20-2017, 08:30 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Nigel,

I'm sure you'll get it sorted in short order. Let us know how the elevon to aileron coupling works out. I'd be interested to know if it's worth going to all the trouble.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 PM
soarrich
Soarrich

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Mine tends to pitch up and sometimes if not careful does the Russian Snakebite !!
Nigel
Nigel
I think you're tail-heavy, I flew mine where you said you had yours balanced, it flipped better, but I didn't like the way it flew. Since moving the CG forward it is easier to fly. I'm going to disconnect the ailerons and lock them, then fly it. Right now it rolls about 4 times a second at max, which is really too fast for me.
I played with doing a flip and just holding the flip until it rocked like a delta, then full aileron, it didn't roll, just rocked around in a circle. It was blowing about 15mph with gust today so it was had to do hi alpha, it just keep falling off.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:12 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Well the model has been blocked up ... weights applied ... in a hot room for a few days and all seems to have straightened out ... just need to wait for good weather to test her.

I will be modifying the servo setup as indicated previously ... piccies to follow.

Nigel
Old 02-24-2017, 02:08 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... Rudder conversion ...

A metal geared TGY-9018MG Servo (same size as a 9gr but slightly heavier due to MG ... ) and one connection + rudders linked.

First thing is that the CF stiffener is set at a place where I would prefer the hinge line ... and then you have to step back a bit to leave enough foam to take the hinge ... (I could have used tape but prefer fixed hinges).

Ok ... rudders now have a chamfer to leading edge - doesn't need much actually .. and mylar strip hinges fitted..

Horns added ... decent one for control rod and mini ones for the link rod ... note that link horns are out away from hinge line to get the leverage ...

Note that when you remove the rudders - they will need an angled slice from the bottom to clear the elevon horn plates when elevons are UP ...

OK ... fitting and set up ...

Now I can do the snake dance across the field !!

Next is to interlink ailerons with elevons ....

Nigel
Old 02-24-2017, 04:36 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Nicely done Nigel !

Did I hear flat spin? Lol

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 02-24-2017, 04:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Nicely done Nigel !

Did I hear flat spin? Lol

Cheers,

Hawk
She does a beautiful flat spin ... did you not see the vid ?

I've now set her up .... haven't done the ailerons yet ... want to try the rudders out ...

I added 40gr up front for first tests .. will reduce as I fly and see what I like ... thats to balance the servo and rods ..

Nigel
Old 02-25-2017, 04:33 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Wind is awful and I kept looking at the 29 ... finally knife out and sliced of the ailerons !! Rods made ... just need to hinge and connect.

They will be connected to elevon servos as my F15 ..... no need for separate servos.

Nigel

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17733 seconds with 16 queries