Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Garage building starts with Model Workshop on top !!

Old 06-16-2018, 03:38 PM
jeholliday

Nothing like work and life interfering with things.

I detest these key boards.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:35 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Finally got started again ... putting the roof on ...

Decided to leave top floor open so air can circulate when models stored there ...

Nigel
Old 09-05-2018, 01:47 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Fair trucking along ...

Nigel
Old 09-06-2018, 04:08 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

update today …

Nigel
Old 09-11-2018, 01:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Roof going on ...

Concrete floors and ramps ...

Nigel
Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 PM
jeholliday

Doesn't look like too much longer before move in day. You are so lucky.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:08 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Jobs left to do :

Clad outside with PenoPlast insulation and then paint.. to match the house.

Fit windows and doors.

Install floors

Finally furniture. That's the interesting part because most will be based on kitchen units to provide the base carcasses. Worktops will be wider of course and central units will be double edged.

All in all still a sizeable chunk of cash to go ... and its all without credit / loans. I have been striving to stay out of asking for credit.

I work hard and I regard this as my reward !!

Nigel
Old 09-11-2018, 11:38 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Must have cost as much as a house Nigel?
I have to do a shed in the future too but it should only take a couple of weeks as it will be steel.
Probably have a mezzazine floor in it. Something similar to this I want to put a scissor hoist in it too. I will also add an extra bay to it.

I do like your roofing. I haven't seen anything like that before.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 9.55.59 am.png
Views:	156
Size:	661.8 KB
ID:	186950  

Last edited by Panther; 09-12-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:21 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Problem here is sheds like that have to be imported and that ramps up the costs.

I also have to make sure I have building that is warm enough in the -30C winters to not freeze my Laser machine etc. I plan year round working in that model area AND year round party in the lounge !!

Of course when things get a bit difficult with 'her indoors' - I can pull out the divan bed and stay there !!

The roof is basically corrugated sheet that mimics ceramic tiles ... quick and easy to fix.

Nigel
Old 09-12-2018, 04:36 PM
jeholliday

Do you need a full time care taker of the facilities? Ha Ha. I too wanted and looked at a metal structure for my shop. The city said no to it. It would have had a concrete floor. Also the one I looked at had allowed floor space and less cost. I also pointed out to them that it was fire proof. Guess I didn't have enough money, really didn't offer to fill his back pocket to approve the permit.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:56 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jeholliday View Post
Do you need a full time care taker of the facilities? Ha Ha. I too wanted and looked at a metal structure for my shop. The city said no to it. It would have had a concrete floor. Also the one I looked at had allowed floor space and less cost. I also pointed out to them that it was fire proof. Guess I didn't have enough money, really didn't offer to fill his back pocket to approve the permit.
Its hard to describe the way I can live here but basically its privileged. I actually do not agree with it as it is unfair on others.

Being a person who came here in their first days of independence from Soviet yoke - I was part of the western influx. My partner for 5 years was major shareholder in the biggest employer in the town. Today I am still close friend with him. Having stayed unlike many who left years ago - I have been rewarded with being able to do 'things' that others would have difficulty. I can visit town council members without appointment, even the Chief Exec as example. Literally anything I ask for is agreed. But over the near 25 years of being here - they have learnt that I am a 'normal' person with no silly ideas !!

I know I am still a 'person of interest' here ... as I am reminded when talking to various ....

Things like ... guys mentioned to me that it would be good if we could have a proper competition RC car track ... but trouble was Council guy to talk to was not available and usual time to get first meeting was 1 - 2 months if lucky. I made one call ... and next day we met the Council C. Exec who instructed Council member to action.
If anyone was to expect 'interest' from me here .... they would not receive a single penny from me.

Please believe me .. I do not post this as saying I'm a great person .. far from it. Its just that I have 'landed' in a spot that suits and I have become a 'celebrity' in a place that really is more like a village.

Nigel
Old 09-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

As you say. You have a envied position in the local society. I wouldn't be going anywhere. I was also lucky in my career.

Nigel, I guess we are lucky with our sheds here from the sound of things. We have about 10 metal shed companies that I can think of, eg Southern Cross Sheds, Titan etc etc
I bought a Titan last time but looking further afield this time. Great choices and they design exactly what you want, whatever size you want. Dearest part is the concrete. The sheds are cheap for their size and last forever.
They even have laminated sheets with insulation between them if you want to spend the extra money. Great for the roofs. Keeps the shed cooler.
-30 degrees I can't even imagine. My property has never even had a frost in the 15 years we have been here nor when the people before us owned it for the same length of time. It has got down to 1 or 2 degrees celcius at the very worst. I like it that way.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

One other point as well ... the usual garage bay is small ! I measured my van so that the bays are good enough to take my van with doors open ! Doing such meant that it had to be individually designed for the extra width etc.

It has had its problems, the length of beams is greater than normal and therefore purpose cut metal beams were needed. Luckily pal of mine is Sales Manager for local metal works .. so he organised source and cutting to fit.
Overall the building is stronger than my house ! and we joke its there for 1000 years !

Tomorrow I shall be able to drive my car in ... and test the van goes in !!

Once all is in place and finished ... I will be constructing a small 'crane' to lift gear up to the second floor ... well that's an idea amongst all the others !

Nigel
Old 09-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

OK Now you must hover your P3 back a bit then drive your van in so you capture it all.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:38 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
OK Now you must hover your P3 back a bit then drive your van in so you capture it all.
The Soloshot 3 can do it !! Mount the tag on the van and track it in. Of course it will lose tracking GPS once it gets inside ... but jobs done then.

Nigel
Old 09-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Thumbs up

sounds like a plan .
Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

The place is really looking good!
Old 09-14-2018, 11:14 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The big day ... cars in !!

Makes me feel a real event has occurred ...

Nigel
Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Isn't it great when a plan comes together. Now just don't hit one of the concrete block support columns.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:32 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I must admit that crossed my mind as well ... but builders reckon there's iron bar running through that centre one.

They also reckoned I would have to really smash into one to do any damage ... and they doubt it would actually break the column.

Lets just say - I don't intend to test it !!!

Nigel
Old 09-15-2018, 06:15 PM
jeholliday

That is great that you measured right. Looks like enough room for a motocycle if you have one.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I noticed that as you drove the van in the roof got close at the back. If you drove in too fast it could bounce up and touch the door arch. So don't drive in when you are in a bad mood.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:31 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I noticed that as you drove the van in the roof got close at the back. If you drove in too fast it could bounce up and touch the door arch. So don't drive in when you are in a bad mood.
I'll try not to talk to wife before driving in !

The van has a curve to its front 1/3rd of roof and I tried to view with front wheels on the apex to have it maximum height. I agree that it seems closer at rear ... but maybe the angle of view where the both cameras are lower than the roof may give impression of closer ?

But yes - point taken ... and anyway with the 'precious' load of my models in her - I don't think I will be gunning it in !!

Nigel
Old 09-16-2018, 07:11 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

An apron of crushed rock from the concrete out will smooth the entry.

Sounds like your van is a small diesel, I bet it makes great mileage per gallon.

What type of floor are you going to use upstairs?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:52 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

No need for addition to the apron ... the gap is more than enough ...

The van is a 2.8ltr Turbo Diesel and goes like a rocket !! Consumption is real budget ! Unlike the Volvo I have ... XC70 2.4ltr turbo gasoline with T5 tuning ... on a long run she's good but in town it drinks it. But boy is she fun on those country dirt roads and when the BMW boys get alongside at the lights ... they get a shock when she takes off ...

Nigel

Quick Reply: Garage building starts with Model Workshop on top !!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16350 seconds with 14 queries