Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight) - Page 15 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Old 04-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Hipshot

I bought a crashed MUS from a club member for $20 bucks. Rebuilt it and its the best flying plane I own. Flew the other week in 20 to 30 mph winds with gusts to 40! No lie! The plastic lawn chairs at the field were literally blowing by me as I launched! I heard them say 'I can't believe he launched in that wind! 3 of us flew about 12 flights that day . Vertical landings ...no crashes :p What a plane!

On a side note. I took 6 planes to the field on a beautiful fall day. Crashed every single one of em... go figure.....
Old 04-28-2007, 02:59 AM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Now that I'm used to it, I've been having a blast flying my MUS. It's definitely the most "tossable" plane I have. I thought about putting a 480 on it but I kind of like it the way it is. It seems well balanced with the 450 and I haven't noticed any problems with lack of power. I have the quad flaps on mine and they are a trip to play with. I can get it headed into the wind, hit the quads, get the throttle just right and it just sits there seemingly motionless in the sky.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

i put a cvs cam on mine today, here's the link to the video
http://rcuvideos.com/item/NPNFRD7FWZ6FSC99

i mounted it underneath the fuse, between the gear. i still need to get smoother on the controls.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:26 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by fstblkgti View Post
i put a cvs cam on mine today, here's the link to the video
http://rcuvideos.com/item/NPNFRD7FWZ6FSC99

i mounted it underneath the fuse, between the gear. i still need to get smoother on the controls.
I'd like to say "really nice video" but I can't see it. Sometimes the benefits of running Linux aren't worth the frustration of incompatibility and having things not work. Need to find a Windows box.

I hadn't really thought about sticking a camera on the MUS but I thought about the Mini Pulse. With those big wings, it should be really stable for a camera.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gsk11740 View Post
I'd like to say "really nice video" but I can't see it. Sometimes the benefits of running Linux aren't worth the frustration of incompatibility and having things not work. Need to find a Windows box.

I hadn't really thought about sticking a camera on the MUS but I thought about the Mini Pulse. With those big wings, it should be really stable for a camera.
the MUS handled the camera amazingly well. once i cut back on the throttle it flew very smooth, i want to say it was actually smoother with the added wieght of the camera gear on it. really easy to mount on the flat bottom fuse with a piece of velcro between the LG. i want to mount it facing forward, but i lack the creativity to do it lol.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I'm running Ubuntu usually which with a download will run most vids but the Fedora core I'm working on right now is bone stock and can't play Windoze codecs etc.

The MUS is an awesome grab and go plane. Don't hestitate to fly it except in the worst of conditions. Trying to get a buddy of mine to score a new motor for her down at SEFF.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:36 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by Mr. Baggins View Post
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I'm running Ubuntu usually which with a download will run most vids but the Fedora core I'm working on right now is bone stock and can't play Windoze codecs etc.

The MUS is an awesome grab and go plane. Don't hestitate to fly it except in the worst of conditions. Trying to get a buddy of mine to score a new motor for her down at SEFF.
At one time, I had Linux set up to run anything video that Windows could run. I could even play DVD movies on it. Then I upgraded t o Suse 10 and went to reload all the video stuff only to discover I couldn't find them. I looked on the internet but was greeted with a bunch of messages saying thanks to the DMCA, RIAA and the MPAA and their #@$&*! lawyers, the codecs and drivers were no longer available.

I'm really impressed with the MUS now. I think it's getting the most air time. Even on a windy day, I'll fly the MUS when I wouldn't dare take anything else up. I really liked flying the Mini Pulse too but it's grounded until I can figure out what's going on with it. I crashed it bad earlier this week, got it all fixed and tried to fly it again yesterday only to loose control and almost crashed it again. I'm starting to suspect a bad ESC. It starts acting up right after a full throttle blast.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Mr.Pibb

Taking videos with a CVS cam (or Puredigital Cam) on the MUS is a blast. Here are a few of mine:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...25453069&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27820187&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...03966322&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...93432056&hl=en
Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
darylm44

I ordered a mini ultra stick Saturday!!!

I have been flying for about 6 weeks and yesterday I flew all day on my wing dragon 4 (with ailerons) and did not have any crashes. I plan on putting a small outrunner on the WD4 this week and increasing the throws so that I can do some better rolls and loops. If all goes well I will try to maiden the mini ultra stick the next weekend if I can get some help to make sure every ting is OK.

Do you think I am being too aggressive? Is there anything else I should practice first. I will practice with faster planes on my G3.5 sim for the next two weeks also.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:31 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
I ordered a mini ultra stick Saturday!!!

I have been flying for about 6 weeks and yesterday I flew all day on my wing dragon 4 (with ailerons) and did not have any crashes. I plan on putting a small outrunner on the WD4 this week and increasing the throws so that I can do some better rolls and loops. If all goes well I will try to maiden the mini ultra stick the next weekend if I can get some help to make sure every ting is OK.

Do you think I am being too aggressive? Is there anything else I should practice first. I will practice with faster planes on my G3.5 sim for the next two weeks also.
Congrats! You'll like it! Just follow the setup instruction carefully and keep it on low rates until you get the feel of it and you should do fine. I've only been flying 4 channel aileron planes for a few months myself (spent a lot of time on G3.5 though) and I have my MUS setup for max control linkage throws and the high rates on my radio set at 125%. I don't even use low rates anymore. It's not hard to fly once you get used to it. I'm looking for a bigger motor for mine already. Seems slow now.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Mr.Pibb

You will be shocked at the responsiveness of the MUS compared to the standard trainers. Start with low rate travel on the control surfaces, and make sure you react gently with the controls. The plane is a piece of cake for me to fly now, but my first flight caught me off guard.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

I didn't mention what happened on my first MUS flight last fall. I guess I should have though. Sorry. (I try to block it out of my mind.) Anyway, it was a disaster. Mr. Pibb is right. Even on low rates, it does react quickly to the controls compared to most trainers. It caught me off guard the first time I flew it. I panicked and lost control and whats worse, left it on full throttle. It didn't last long. If you have expo on your radio, I'd dial in maybe 20-30% to take the edge off until you get used to it.

In my defense though, the guy at the LHS told me is was a "easy gentle plane to fly, just like my Super Cub" and I'd never seen a MUS before so I didn't know what I was getting into. He doesn't work there anymore, by the way.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:26 AM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post

I think the best thing you can do before you maiden any plane is to have a flight plan. Since this plane might be considered a big step up for you as others have stated try low rates until you get a few flights under your belt. Knowing what you want to acomplish before you leave the ground will surely help you to "stay ahead of the plane" instead of trying to react to something unexpected.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 AM
darylm44

Thanks All
Old 05-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

so after about 20 successful flights i had a little problem today. i was doing touch and go's and on one of them, the prop hit the grass, not even too hard since nothing seemed damaged. but the motor lost power, it still spins but very slowly, and when i spin it by hand, i hear a small click sound in it. its the pnp 450 motor. i removed the shaft and it seems to be straight, i dont know what else to look for since i've never dealt with these motors. any advice?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Huntermd14

Check the magnets in the motor. I just had to return mine due to three magnets that came loose from the epoxy. The motor seems to be built cheaper then the regular park 450 but mine was putting out more watts then the non pnp motor.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:58 PM
ZJbrandon

so, the general consensus is that the stock poer system in the PNP version is plenty of power?

anyone see the link (under accesories they link a motor/esc combo) to the power plant at atlanta hobby?
is this like ludicrous power or what?

http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=5988
Old 05-04-2007, 03:38 AM
goflyhighrc

Default Lots Of Power

I fly my Mini Ultra Stick with the E-Flilght 480 1020 KV it has 275 watts of power with a 11 X & APC E Prop. Same watts as theTorque from Atlanta. It is loooooooootttttttttttts of fun. Unlimited verticle, spins like a top with vertical climbs. Want some fun this is it!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:48 PM
ZJbrandon

I am looking towards this plane as my second aileron plane after I learn more from my E-starter. I would like to have "good" vertical, but I don't think I need "unlimited". I'm pretty sure I like thrust more than speed, also. I am thinking the stock PNP power setup with a sloflyer prop will be fine for me...?

fyi, I'll be using my Cellpro 3-cell 2100 in it.

edit: Also, I am in Denver, at 5800 ft.

Last edited by ZJbrandon; 05-04-2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added text
Old 05-04-2007, 08:44 PM
goflyhighrc

My Mini Ultra Stick was my third plane, slow stick, GWS Formosa, and then the MUS. I am sure the stock 450 is fine, but I like speed and thrust and the 480 does it all..... If you really want to whow !! the boys at the flyin field after you get used to the 450 and MUS try the 480 it is something else.......

FYI - use Poly RC 2100 3S batteries, 10-15 minutes flying time.

Thanks
gofly
Old 05-05-2007, 04:04 AM
darylm44

My MUS arrived today . Included in the box was a yellow "Important Note" where they talk about rx/servo overload under extreme high temperature days with continuous extreme flight control inputs.

They suggest disconnecting the BEC on the ESC and powering the radio and servos with 4.8 v receiver battery.

Has anyone had to worry about this?? It rarely gets above the high 70's around here so I don't think I have anything to worry about.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

No worries with mine on the ESC BEC. I have flown it countless times and that was with an old PH-25. Make sure your control surfaces are free and no binding in linkage. Really important that you keep servos as stress free as possible in all applications.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:05 PM
goflyhighrc

Never had a problem with mine either, temperatures here get in the 100 in summer, I use CC 35 amp speed control. Is your the Plug n' Play
Old 05-05-2007, 05:56 PM
darylm44

Yes, mine is the PNP.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 06:59 PM
goflyhighrc

What do some of you pilots have your CG set at

Quick Reply: Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14594 seconds with 13 queries