Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #126
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Club: Fort Bend R/C
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (6)
Default Imagine An Onion

First, think in terms of the B-47 fuselage surface...at this time, only the fuselage.

Previously, I illustrated my and Sam's B-47 fuselage divided into three sections. A to C, C to about 1/2 way between
E and F (dotted vertical line), and from that point to G. Yes, there are sub-sections within each.

Fuselage is constructed of hot wired and milled foam. Portions of the 3 sections are of higher density XPS
Dow High Load 60 polystyrene where deemed beneficial. While XPS is 2X the weight of EPS, it provides
greater shape retention without excessive compositing. Fuselage center section is hot wired Dow High
Load 40 polystyrene.

The above illustration shows a vertical dashed line for the parting point between the fuselage front and its
center section. The top of the lower half of the center section is a flap drive servo platform. From dashed
line forward is the two piece milled nose.

Ends of uncut foam blanks have a single pair of vertical and horiz datum lines to permit accurate alignment
of to-be-hot-wired fuselage cross sections made from phenolic sheet. Phenolic has an attribute permitting
it to withstand temperature of hot wire passing rapidly across its edge.

The internal truss sections have laser cut tension and compression compliance patterns permitting the truss
material to provide greatest compression compliance without excessive weight. The center truss pattern is
differentiated 180 degrees from its middle to provide bias strength when the other two truss sections have
been inserted.

All truss sections have keyway slots cut into each side edge to exponentially increase truss integrity when
compared to a smooth edge assembly style. When the center truss is assembled there are stop tabs placed
through from the left to right side to create an internal stop for front and rear internal truss portions.

Because diamond shaped hot wired cavity within the fuselage center section exists it provides the built-in
cantilever wedge preventing distortion and misalignment by vertical and horizonal movement of front and
rear trusses take-off, flight, and landing. This prevents twisting and distortion because Dow High Load 60
polystyrene hot wired cavity is surfaced with carbon fiber vale laminated balsa sheet.

The phenolic sheet templates are removed after hot wiring is complete. Lite ply templates matching those
are epoxied to hot wired and milled fueslage section faces to provide greatest resistance to handling and
transport rash.

If you have not read previous posts to understand fuselage cross sections and the internal diamond tension~
compression structure, I recommend you read those then return for a better understanding. Diamond unitizes
all components within the fuselage...front and rear landing gear, wing truss, and bomb bay to form a unit set.

Exterior of B-47 foam fuselage is laminated with balsa, .6 ounce to sq.yd. fiber glass cloth, & Pacer Technology
Z-Poxy Finishing Resin. In addition to this general composite laminate other areas are strengthened with Kevlar,
and carbon fiber vail. Filleted areas receive Kevlar and carbon fiber vail re-enforcement because they are outside
the fuselage tension~compression sandwich.

I want to take you into the fuselage lay up to see not only what, but how components work together to permit
foam to reduce AUW of a scale project without sacraficing strength. I will photograph this process and all parts
comprising the truss, truss cavity laminate, and cross section bulkheads.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nose3D2wire.jpg
Views:	2008
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	122532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Obliquenose.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	163516  

Ed Clayman
"Flite-Metal For The Look Of The Real Thing"
Old 03-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #127
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Boeing Airframe Maintenance Manual

Originally Posted by Capt. Midnight View Post
Hi Ed! Can you post the address of the Italian source that you obtained
the B-47 maintenance manual from? Thanks, Dave P.
http://www.aircraft-manuals.com/info.html I posted another entrance to their server which had a few
other aircraft but no pathway back to the B-47 manual this one does the trick. I forgot to order the
YDB-47E manual and did so just now.

The YDB-47 is the version of my B-47 intended to launch a GAM-63 RASCAL. Yes, I am building one
airframe with a split personality. That's two BuNo to permit flight plans with LABS and GAM-63 RACSCAL
maneuvers.

I believe Sam is headed toward replicating a chaff dispensing "weather" WB-47. Complete with a brunette
holding an umbrella.

These manuals are on CD so you can easily extract images to work with. The resources are found with
Google. You could order them as Sam did in two volumes for the majority of the data.

Ed Clayman
Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #128
davegee

Friends: (0)
Default B-47 interest

Hi: I am very interested in your B-47 project. I'd really like to build one myself, or get involved with a group that might like to build one and fly it at shows/contests. I have built and flown rc planes for some time, but no electric or jets. Please let me know more of your project.
thanks,

Davegee
Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #129
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Welcome Onboard

Originally Posted by davegee View Post
Hi: I am very interested in your B-47 project. I'd really like to build one myself, or get involved with a group
that might like to build one and fly it at shows/contests. I have built and flown rc planes for some time, but no electric or jets. Please
let me know more of your project. thanks, Davegee
Davegee,

Welcome aboard the good ship Stratojet... We're about to go where few have ventured (3 to be exact) since 1956.

Ed Clayman
Old 03-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #130
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Foam Plus...

We start with an illustration of our foam fuselage and its balsa laminate skin.

Now imagine the balsa skin over the entire fuselage surface. My next post will illustrate the process I am using to laminate my B-47.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FormerSkin.jpg
Views:	1915
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	122566   Click image for larger version

Name:	10highlftfuse.jpg
Views:	1934
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	122572  

Ed Clayman
Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #131
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Radians To Rectals

In the beginning there were radians.

Radians across a slope...alternately colored red below to help visualization.

This then relates to paper dolling of the laminate...template

Then we have in our hand a printed template looking like this...

Enter data points representing the template into program controlling laser cutters and bingo you have the balsa laminate for the nose
of a B-47. This is also the cross cut location to enable hot wiring the bottom triangle of the internal diamond.

Now, drop back to the parting point just ahead of the wing intersect and repeat above process. You then have template and data
points for laser cutting of laminate for that section.

Because center section is cylindrical from leading edge intersect to vertical dotted line representing parting of fuselage between C and
D as illustrated below, a single layup of edge glued sheeting can be cut from a paper template made by simply wrapping the foam and
marking the paper. When cut it is laminated to the hot wired foam.

From this point rearward to just short of the tail turrent is another cylindrical shape to laminate in the same manner...

And that's what my producer/director daughter calls a wrap...lets see the dailies ;^)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	free-paper-doll-patterns-3.jpg
Views:	2907
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	122669   Click image for larger version

Name:	free-paper-doll-patterns-1.jpg
Views:	8307
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	122670   Click image for larger version

Name:	HeadonCircleRadianPOO2.jpg
Views:	7771
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	122674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nose2Paperdoll2.jpg
Views:	7830
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	122676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radian2.jpg
Views:	7383
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	122677  

Ed Clayman
Old 03-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #132
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Send a message via AIM to TDisaster
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (14)

Looks great!

So how do you like Viz? We've been using it in school and I've got mixed feelings for it. I prefer Inventor.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #133
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Vizn't The Point...Be An Inventor Of Solutions...

Originally Posted by TDisaster View Post
Looks great! So how do you like Viz? We've been using it in school and I've got mixed feelings for it. I
prefer Inventor.
Please don't be offended by the title of this reply. I'm making the point so many don't get today. Too many people don't think they
can get'r done if they do not know CAD or visual illustration tools.

All it takes is calculators, rulers, pencils and a pile of paper to draw on with tons of multiple view drawings of the 1:1. It does not
have to be rocket science, really it doesn't. Try it and I'll bet you will like what you see...and build. There is only 1 rule. To make
it strong start with a triangle .

As I explained in an earlier post, using Microsoft Image Composer in an IBM computer or an Adobe editor like Photoshop in a Golden
Delicious will do almost everything you need to do. Need more...go find a high school student and share the learning experience.
Best way I know of to get a kid into RC.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nacelle-bifir-fan-FSA2.jpg
Views:	12453
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	122684  

Ed Clayman
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #134
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal View Post
Please don't be offended by the title of this reply. I'm making the point so
many don't get today. Too many people don't think they can gett'r done if
they do not know CAD or visual illustration tools.

All it takes is calculators, rulers, pencils and a pile of paper to draw on. It
does not have to be rocket science, really it doesn't. Try it and I'll bet you
will like what you see...and build. There is only one rule...to make it strong
remember the solution is a triangle.
Yeah, but why not use what you have access to?

Sure, for smaller projects nothing beats a pencil and paper, but for something larger and more significant I'd rather be able to plan it out exactly.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #135
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Perhaps you would like to team up with some one following this thread...say someone like David P. for example who's over there with his
1/16th B-47E beating it out with trusty calculator, pencils, and patience to get'r done with what's available. Like nacelle and formers on
that paper above his drawing board...

I am absolutely sure he'd appreciate the contribution. Alliances is what modern scale designs are all about. Imagine if we had to design the edf...

Ed Clayman
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 AM   #136
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal View Post
Perhaps you'd like to team up with some one following this thread...say someone like
David P. for example who's over there with his 1/16th B-47E beating it out with trusty
calculator, pencil sharpener, copier, and patience to get'r done with what's available.
I am absolutely sure he'd appreciate the contribution.

Alliances is what modern scale designs are all about. Imagine if we had to design the
edf..............
That's a neat idea.

I've hand carved a few free flight props.

Unless a CNC machine is involved, I'd pass on the EDF design.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #137
Capt. Midnight

View Capt. Midnight's Gallery1
Default B-47 Models and Planning/Layout/Lofting

Hi Ed and TDisaster!

Just to be clear: I don't use a pencil sharpener nor a copier, but do enjoy applying my (admittedly ancient) engineering skills to a model project. As an ex USAF pilot and Boeing engineer, I kind of like to feel like I've created something in my models, and like to experiment with alternate building techniques. I'm sure you computer gurus find equal enjoyment using the computer to help you create your models.

Cheers,

Dave P.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #138
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Hi Ed and TDisaster!

Just to be clear: I don't use a pencil sharpener nor a copier, but do enjoy applying my (admittedly ancient) engineering skills to a model project. As an ex USAF pilot and Boeing engineer, I kind of like to feel like I've created something in my models, and like to experiment with alternate building techniques. I'm sure you computer gurus find equal enjoyment using the computer to help you create your models.

Cheers,

Dave P.
I still remember going through drafting freshman year, and I still use everything I've learned in it. So I'm not all computer oriented.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #139
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

Hey Dave,
I don't believe your engineering skills are Ancient at all. Remember some of the best ideas start with a pencil and a napkin..

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 AM   #140
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Or re-designs drawn overnight for presentation the next morning to a USAF proposal committee, after being drawn on a napkin at
dinner... As was said to be the case with the B-52.

Ed Clayman
Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #141
Capt. Midnight

Default B-52 Over Dinner

Hi B-47ers!

Like many apocryphal tales, the myth of the B-52's conceptual creation is hard to really pin down. Perhaps the consensus version is that, in October 1948 Boeing submitted a proposal for model 464-35 to the new USAF procurement office at Wright Field. Following the Boeing team's presentation of the proposal to the Air Force representatives, (apparently) some comments from Col. Pete Warden convinced the Boeing team (Ed Wells, George Schairer, Bob Withington, Vaughn Blumenthal, Art Carlsen and Maynard Pennell - all legends during my years at the Company) to come up with an 8-jet-engined, swept wing concept over the weekend at their hotel someplace in Dayton. The team apparently even made a small balsa model of the proposed design (it would sure be interesting to know who built the model). They subsequently submitted a 33-page report and the model to the USAF personnel, and, apparently, some months later were awarded a contract to build the 2 prototypes (X- and Y-B-52); there's no mention of what sort of 'software' they used to develop the design ...

By June 1951 I was building templates and tools for the B-52 in Boeing's Plant 2, and building landing-gear bulkheads (A.O. Smith's welded design had some early problems), and cutting wing-skins for the first several production models by about 1953-54. I witnessed the YB-52 first flight from a vantage point above Boeing Field on 15 April 1952. Co-pilot Lt. Col. Guy M. Townsend became the director of materiel in the 93rd Bomb Wing at Castle AFB, where I was stationed as a pilot in the 328th Bomb Squadron 1956-58.

Not having a computer, pencil sharpener, or drafting machine, I nevertheless built a small flying model of the aircraft, which I put in the hands of my 2.5 YO son in late 1954 (see below). The model was powered by 4 Jetex 'motors'; with a couple of college pals we launched it off a bluff above Puget Sound - alas, it was the first B-52 to crash in flames (later, in 1956-57, while at Castle AFB, I participated in the accident investigation of 2 fatal B-52 crashes at Castle).

Nope, the B-52 was not invented over dinner with a dinner-napkin sketch, but it sure has proved to be an enduring aircraft.

Keep those computers whirring!!!

Cheers,

Dave P.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Larry With B-52 copy.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	122716  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #142
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Resource Management

Dave,

Have you received additional offers of assistance with your 1/16th? It can be a great help to incorporate 3D skill sets like that offered
to you. You've not disclosed the structure except for the tail feathers so you may intend to build it all up and not use composites.

I received back channel from TD who appears eager to be involved to whatever degree he is willing and able to contribute to a B-47
project, regardless of size. Since I am this far down stream it might make more sense for him to contribute to your efforts...if of course
they are welcomed... Not to be speaking for you of course.

Ed Clayman
Old 03-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #143
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Bifurcation...Search For Existing Resource

I intended to jump onto the fuselage and integrate all the formers from the plansets and multiple view drawings collected since this
began...It is always more productive to let someone else's shop floor accummulate waste than it is for you to burn through the ramp
up with waste accummulating on your own when off-the-shelf inexpensive solutions may be available for the asking.

However, I have not found anything through searching on this web site. I suppose there have been few if any F-15, F-4, F-18, A6E,
AV8B, or the likes modeled with EDF's close to the diameter of the StuMax 110-52 EDFs. Surprising, or should I say disappointing to
discover I am the loan wolf so to speak. Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Ed Clayman
Old 03-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #144
Capt. Midnight

Hi Ed!

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try to take contact with TD and any others that might be interested in the smaller version of the B-47.

Cheers,

Dave P.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #145
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default CNC Milling & CAD Resources

Hi Ed! Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try to take contact with TD and any others that might be
interested in the smaller version of the B-47. Cheers, Dave P.
It would be good to see an index created within WattFlyer for listing subscriber skill sets and services available to others. These
services, including consulting would provide assistance to whomever's skill set or shop tool set if it falls short of what is required
to tackle and complete a project.

This is no different than tutoring or hired gun transcending an issue which otherwise is a project killer due to expense or time required
to learn new skills to achieve. I often refer to this as a pile of waste, excessive waste, on "your" shop floor vs opening a box to utilize
a whatever to permit you to enjoy a whatever.

ARF it ain't, expedited it is... and no different than retracts, wheels, your EDF, etc. In this case, it is more often machining services.
Yes, cutting and milling foam is no different than machining. If you've been following this thread since page 1 post 1, you understand.

What do you think?

Ed Clayman
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #146
Oleo1

Send a message via MSN to Oleo1 Send a message via Yahoo to Oleo1 Send a message via Skype™ to Oleo1
Friends: (2)

So this is where 47 is being build!!!, so i found ya Ed...haha

Your 3d drawings and pictures are just amazing, i wonder how much time you spend in makign thses and what type of design software programs you use to create them at this high level!. I'm very much impressed. We'll be watching it with highest interest and will be subscribing to this thread also. Butch is another great guys and asset we have in our hobby, don't know w/out him where we would have been....Kudos Ed!.

Sam
Old 03-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #147
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Simple Tasks May Look Difficult...But Are Not.

Oleo1:

Sam, Oleo1 is a strange handle to take on. Just because your struts are not doing well doesn't mean you have to take on the persona
of oleos...:^)

The 3D CAD work is not mine. All 3D renderings originate as my design drawing work ups then sent to another person for 3D lofting.

Ed Clayman
Old 03-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #148
Oleo1

Send a message via MSN to Oleo1 Send a message via Yahoo to Oleo1 Send a message via Skype™ to Oleo1
Friends: (2)

Ed,

Nothing like that my friend, i got bored of keeping same handle every where, so i decided to change them from one site to another, just to keep the variety going on, just personl thingy. Well after Strut comes an Oleo on a landing gear...HA HA lol.

Bob's rendering work is just amazing n high quality. I wish i could do something even close to it at work but na, not at this level as yet, hopefully some day.
I would like to see what Bob has to offer in terms of cutting with laser yet getting same results as you want from "regular precedure of foam cutting".

I suppose more you invest in good tools, better result you will get in the end!, Yikes 30k n then another 15K for software, HOLY CRIPES!!!!

Sam
Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #149
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Out Of The Box Solution

While I am all for out-of-the-box solutions usually being less expensive than you trying to pioneer...It is best to pay close attention
to marketer presentations with a buyer-be-ware attitude when it comes to fans, batteries, and escs. This is an example of an out-
of-the-box...online video.

Can you say c-a-v-i-t-a-t-i-o-n?

Ed Clayman
Old 03-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #150
givmeasmoothy

Cool video hey when are you gonna have that b-47 ready cant wait to see that one fly. Maybe if I hit lotto I can afford one of these big birds.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets