Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

PZ Trojan Maiden...All went horribly wrong

Old 08-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Toddy86

Default Just about ready to call it quits

Well the latest is that I finally got the parts I needed (not from my LHS) but from modelfilght.com.au kudos to them, they were really helpful. Apparently the airelon pushrods only come with the wing so the bloke at modelflight suggested he cut down some from a styker and "low an behold" they were perfect. Nice.

So, anyway, I took her up and there must have been a crack in the wing that I missed because when she was very high, half a wing cracked and ripped off!!!!

They don't fly very well like that

Ironically, after waiting 4 weeks for pushrods so as to avoid forking out on a new wing, I had to go and buy one the next day, luckily they were in stock. I now have an abudance of airelon pushrods.

So I replaced what seemed like my billionth motor mount and my trillionth cowl and took her up again and here is where I need some advice.

When I am on high gain and pull up, the plane jumps around and tilts somewhat uncontrollably, it is as if either the rudder is going as well or the airelons. The thing is, the only control I am using is the elevator, I am not pulling left or right so the rudder should not move...???

When the Tx is on low gain it flys as it should, could this be the aerial toching the rudder controlhorn problem I've read about?

Also, on my last battery change, there was a loud deep buzzing sound followed by a horrible smell, I didn't notice any smoke but it was definately bad.

I disconnected the battery and put on one I had just used and the motor would not start despite, the esc initialising and then after another battery disconnection and reconnection it started and would not stop until I disconnected the battery.

I am hopelessly lost and haven't a clue what to do, if anyone has an idea, I would be eternally grateful.

Cheers,

Toddy
Old 08-24-2008, 12:48 PM
LectricPlane

Sounds like a smoked ESC or possibly a bad battery and a reset needed on the ESC.
Try removing connecting up with a known good battery/ rx/ only one servo/ esc and try again. Remember the zero point on throttle. (you didn't get the battery polarity Xed by chance did you?)

Reading some of your vibration problems earlier, I had the same with a PZ Spitfire - After a few crashes I had 6 spare props - 5 casunig Bad vibration and 1 with none... Sorted it out by buying a Prop balancer (and using it of course), now an essential part of my toolkit.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
radweld

Bad smell usually means somethings burn out. The usual suspect in the ESC. The smell does linger for a while so if you remove the parts and give them a sniff, you can find out which part failed.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Toddy86

Thans for the advice, after a bit of sniffing, it seems like it might be the ESC. The other thing is that when I plug it in, the motor will start but not stop, is this sympotomatic of a dodgy ESC?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:53 AM
radweld

Defnately, upgrade it with a decent 40A one to give yourself capacity for growth.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:11 AM
humboldt guy

I've not had that particular symptom from a bad esc, but it seems likely that is the culprit. The bad smell is I believe a definite indicator of naughty esc. (I hate the smell of burned esc in the morning!). Horizon should replace this pricey gizmo, however if you can afford a new one their new 30 amp version is supposed to be much better than the problem ridden 25 amper. Perhaps they will exchange the old one plus a little cash for a 30 amp? Alternatively, Castle Creations as I suggested makes excellent ones, also Extreme Flight. Here's a nice little resource for comparison;
http://progressiverc.com/Research.html
Whatever you buy, research first on this and other forums, don't buy blind.
I've just received a Turnigy Plush 30 esc from hobby city, as well as some excellent lipo's (Zippy H brand) and a couple of Turnigy motors. The esc and motors I have yet to try, however I've chatted with several folks online who have had good reports of these products. Hobby City has some great prices, so far their service has been good (shipping is pricey for 3-5 days, but was quick-4 days). I've heard their return/exhcange policies are good. As I said, I'm very impressed with the Zippy H batteries, and the esc and motor I'll pop into my Typhoon next couple of days and post results. I would be skeptical of some of their really cheap stuff, but the Turnigy stuff seems good. Hope you get flying again soon!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
daniel
demondfly

hi all iv got the t28 and had no probs yet iv nose dived on landing and was back in the air in under 10 mins the lid poped off and the wing .the mount were you screw the wing in poped away from the body just a bit of glue slide it in and put the wing back dont need to wait for it to dry as it holds its self in with the screw
Old 08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
radweld

I crashed mine for the first time the other day, I tip stalled on approach while experimenting with Flapperons (let this be a lesson to you all lol), Anyway she nosed in at about 10 feet and smashed the prop, cowl and motor mount, The wing mount was ripped out and the canopy flew off, actually the canopy flying off made me believe the fuse had snapped in half.

Replaced all the damaged parts apart from the cowl as these are in really short supply here in the UK, So the old one is taped back together which will do for now. I was doing a pre flight check when I noticed the rear of the fuse moving when I moved the rudder, it seams the crash cracked the back of the fuse, it's glued back together now so all should be well. I just hope she flies as good as she use to.

As for the flaperons, I disabled that feature lol
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
daniel
demondfly

im yet to try flaperons dont have that typ of radio all my plaines are rtf any one tryed the nemo wat a laugh ive pimped my nemo with brushless and canards i call it the typhnem
Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
daniel
demondfly

how do i put a pic were my name is
Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
radweld

You edit your profile and add it there. Don't bother with flaperons, I thought I was a decent flier and I got caught out badly. Spoilerons (upwards ailerons) work ok and don't have the same nasty stall habits.

However you don't really need flaps or flaperons or spoilerons on this plane.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Toddy86

I have replaced the esc with a Turginy 40A plush and it goes well on low gain but when I am on high gain and pull up on the elevator the plane pulls up but rolls as well!!! Its kind of like my airelons move as well when I pull back on the elevator. It doesn't happen when I am checking it on the ground.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be going on?

Cheers
Old 09-28-2008, 03:48 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Toddy86 View Post
I have replaced the esc with a Turginy 40A plush and it goes well on low gain but when I am on high gain and pull up on the elevator the plane pulls up but rolls as well!!! Its kind of like my airelons move as well when I pull back on the elevator. It doesn't happen when I am checking it on the ground.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be going on?

Cheers
I don't think this is your problem, but I once accidentally hit the v-tail switch instead of the servo reversing switch on a radio. Get some real interesting effects there.
If you have a computer radio, you could somehow accidentally have got an elev/ail mix programmed in.