ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Problem with new Aerobird Swift. :(

Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Iam99x

Default Problem with new Aerobird Swift. :(

Ok so, I want to get back into flying. I would consider myself intermediately skilled in R/C airplane flying. I went to the hobby shop today, bought a Aerobird swift, and an extra battery. They didn't have the exact battery, so I bought a Ni-MH 8.4v 900mAH batter instead of the recommended Ni-MH 8.4v 1000mAH. For some reason, the charger that came with the plane, won't charge the 900mAH battery. The light blinks a few times when I plug it in, then stops. The charger DOES charge the other battery just fine. I think the battery may be defected because I have another charger from my Cub that has the same dilemna.

ANOTHER problem! After I assemble the plane, I attempt to test out the electronics pre flight. I power up the transmitter, plug up the batter to the plane. The ailerons and elevator work properly. Then I try the throttle. I give it a full 100%, perfect. Then back to 0%, and the plane doesn't respond. I have to pull out the battery to make it stop. So, I reinstall the battery to try again. Same thing, except that I notice that the ailerons and elevator become unresponsive after the throttle is applied.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? If not, I'm going to the hobby shop in the morning to get a replacement.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Iam99x View Post
Ok so, I want to get back into flying. I would consider myself intermediately skilled in R/C airplane flying. I went to the hobby shop today, bought a Aerobird swift, and an extra battery. They didn't have the exact battery, so I bought a Ni-MH 8.4v 900mAH batter instead of the recommended Ni-MH 8.4v 1000mAH. For some reason, the charger that came with the plane, won't charge the 900mAH battery. The light blinks a few times when I plug it in, then stops. The charger DOES charge the other battery just fine. I think the battery may be defected because I have another charger from my Cub that has the same dilemna.

ANOTHER problem! After I assemble the plane, I attempt to test out the electronics pre flight. I power up the transmitter, plug up the batter to the plane. The ailerons and elevator work properly. Then I try the throttle. I give it a full 100%, perfect. Then back to 0%, and the plane doesn't respond. I have to pull out the battery to make it stop. So, I reinstall the battery to try again. Same thing, except that I notice that the ailerons and elevator become unresponsive after the throttle is applied.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? If not, I'm going to the hobby shop in the morning to get a replacement.

Thanks!
Did you get this sorted out?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 AM
Tinlid

Had the same problem with my Swift full throttle would not close down on closer inspection i found that i had grabbed a bad battery i had had for a while off the bench when i changed to a good battery all was fine.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 PM
radweld

Just another word of warning, the stock Tamiya (molex) power connector causes a lot of problems. You will find that you will see the symptoms you said if you re arm the plane more than a couple of times, it goes to max power and the rest is unresponsive.

I also found that the power connectors caused loads of minor glitches and some really serious ones. Sometimes the ailerons would "pulse" on their own and the plane didn't behave properly, I discovered this as caused by the battery connector again. Replace the connector with Deans etc and a lot of these problems go away.

As for the charger, get a decent one. The stock one is rubbish.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by radweld View Post
Just another word of warning, the stock Tamiya (molex) power connector causes a lot of problems. You will find that you will see the symptoms you said if you re arm the plane more than a couple of times, it goes to max power and the rest is unresponsive.

I also found that the power connectors caused loads of minor glitches and some really serious ones. Sometimes the ailerons would "pulse" on their own and the plane didn't behave properly, I discovered this as caused by the battery connector again. Replace the connector with Deans etc and a lot of these problems go away.

As for the charger, get a decent one. The stock one is rubbish.
Low battery voltage excacerbated by trying to re-arm the motor multiple times leads to this latch up case on both the Swift and the AB3 that share the same receiver/ESC. This can be repeated on demand on the ground. (I have also seen issues if you do not turn on the transmitter within a minute of installing the battery. Much better to turn on the transmitter first.)

Clint
Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Regarding reduced range and glitching on Swift and AB3 ZX10 Receiver.

I finally found a source of receiver crystals that plug directly into the socket on the Aerobird Swift and AB3 receivers.

What I have noticed is that the crystal is easily damaged and the result is reduced range and glitching. All I had to do was replace the crystal in my AB3 and the glitching stopped. (The crystals can also be used to convert the receiver to operate on a different channel.)

Crystals are $6.00 + $2.50 S&H. (S&H covers up to 10 crystals) Delivery is approximately 1 week ARO.

Just PM me with the number of crystals desired and channel numbers and I will send you my paypal info.

Clint