Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

pz t-28 trojan

Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM
daniel
demondfly

i get a lot of body flex due to the horns at full movement its well wippy. not had to glue any of it yet. iv just got in from flying it .crashed my skymaster yesterday. well hard landing snaped the wing angle of landing was to steep lol wat was i thinking

Last edited by daniel; 08-29-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: need more planes 7s not enough must by more planes
Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 PM
maxwell18

Default T28

I used to Plane Captain T28's B&C at Whiting Fld Milton. Got about 150 hours back seat for maint. Something interesting about the model T28 it has a two bladed prop, the Navy changed to a bigger engine 1820 1425 HP. I saw one the other day in Pensacola hobby shop and rembered the power problem and engine/model change. The T28's latter were used in South East Asia.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:38 PM
jecchile

After a crash where the motor mount and cowling broke all to pieces, my wing did not seat in the wing saddle very well either. Even though the securing screw was tight, you could move the wing a little bit... Since there is no need to take the wing off unless you need space to store it, I use foam safe CA and glue the wing to the edges of the wing saddle... it has worked perfectly and the plane flies as good as ever... new engine mount and cowling make it look like new. These foam airplanes are really tough.

Originally Posted by notfamous View Post
My wing keeps detaching from the fuse. I've tried jb weld but I had a rough landing again so that broke. I'm thinking maybe I should place 2 10inch CF slabs into the foam and wing on the bottom side. That way it'll be more secure.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Well I finally broke down and bought one. Actually off the classifieds on RCU. Previous owner, who never flew it, had installed slightly larger tires, and I, hearing the horror stories about the esc's frying, installed a UBEC.

Maidened it on Sunday, impressed to say the least. Flies very nice. PZ sure has come a long way since those early Cubs and Stangs.

Even managed to figure out how to rewire the rx to work off my Futaba Tx.

Only minus was I lost a wheel retainer on first landing. Not to be detered, I cut the square end off a wire tie and jambed it on the LG wire. Held up to 14 takeoffs/landings, and actually I had to cut it off to install a new retainer.

I'll give PZ a couple of thumbs up on this one.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 PM
jecchile

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Well I finally broke down and bought one.
I'll give PZ a couple of thumbs up on this one.
CONGRATULATIONS... I've had mine for almost a year now and it still flies great even though I had a crash and had to replace the engine mount and cowl.

Wait till you see the new PZ Corsair... it is beautiful and it is supposed to fly just as good. I may have one by next week... the price is attractive too since it comes with a Spektrum DSM2 5-channel radio.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:02 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Wow -- I had no idea the Trojan has been out for a year already! Time really flys...

Yeah, that Corsair really does look nice... Where's the dedicated thread on the Corsair?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
jecchile

Don't know about the Corsair "thread" is but if you do a "search" you'd probably find a site already...

I hope it is as good as the T-28 Trojan... that airplane is a great flier and durable... a great deal if you ask me.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:44 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Default T-28 Landing Gear Question

Does anyone have any idea if it would be a bad idea to shorten the two wing gear rods about a 1/2" in order to get the plane to sit in a bit more of a tail dragger position? Most of us with T-28's know that it has a tendency to nose over if the landing is at all steep. Even a gust of tail wind can blow it over.

I assume it would affect the take off due to a different attitude into the wind but it might be worth it.

Got any ideas?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:47 AM
radweld

Its probably going to make take off and landing tricky because the tail will lift and all the weights going to be on the wobbling nose wheel.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 AM
jecchile

I would not shorten the landing gear... If you want to make it a bit easier to handle, what i recommend is that you bend them out some... It will give you a wider track, more stability and it may help you with the landings... The real trick is to flair it at the time of touch down in order to get the mains down first, the it will land perfectly...

Originally Posted by janichols View Post
does anyone have any idea if it would be a bad idea to shorten the two wing gear rods about a 1/2" in order to get the plane to sit in a bit more of a tail dragger position? Most of us with t-28's know that it has a tendency to nose over if the landing is at all steep. Even a gust of tail wind can blow it over.

I assume it would affect the take off due to a different attitude into the wind but it might be worth it.

Got any ideas?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Thanks, that makes sense. Some of my landings are pretty good, some bounce a bit. Practice, practice, pracatice!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 AM
ChimneyGuy71
There's no crying in RC!

Originally Posted by JANichols View Post
Does anyone have any idea if it would be a bad idea to shorten the two wing gear rods about a 1/2" in order to get the plane to sit in a bit more of a tail dragger position? Most of us with T-28's know that it has a tendency to nose over if the landing is at all steep. Even a gust of tail wind can blow it over.

Got any ideas?

All you need to do is replace the front stock wheel with a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 inch tire. That's what I did and it has literally never nosed over since. You can change all 3 tires for uniformity if you like but I just changed the front.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Thanks, another good idea.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
WildBlueYawnder
Hopeless R/C Addict

The Parkzone T-28 is my favorite Park Flyer. I just got the E-Flite T-34 Mentor and it is my favorite big field plane now.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:25 PM
WildBlueYawnder
Hopeless R/C Addict

I like the T-28 so much I'm really looking forward to the Parkzone Corsair.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Zoinks! I visited my local hobby shop today, and they had FOUR of the new ParkZone Corsairs in stock!

She's a nice looking bird...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Tony G

Originally Posted by WildBlueYawnder View Post
The Parkzone T-28 is my favorite Park Flyer. I just got the E-Flite T-34 Mentor and it is my favorite big field plane now.
I've been looking at that one as well. But I dare say the 3D bug has bitten, and I may go for the Eratix 3D instead.

My PZ T-28 has been running with a E-flite Power 25 with a Castle Creation 45A ESC, swinging a 11x8APC. Does sick vertical with that, and some awesome speed.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:08 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
But I dare say the 3D bug has bitten, and I may go for the Eratix 3D instead.
How DARE you!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:05 AM
ChimneyGuy71
There's no crying in RC!

Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
I've been looking at that one as well. But I dare say the 3D bug has bitten, and I may go for the Eratix 3D instead.

My PZ T-28 has been running with a E-flite Power 25 with a Castle Creation 45A ESC, swinging a 11x8APC. Does sick vertical with that, and some awesome speed.

Whoa! A power 25 in a Trojan. That's the biggest motor I've heard some one installing. That motor doesn't just bolt on to the stock motor mount does it? You probably wouldn't even want to use the stock mount. Tell us more about this mod, I'd love to hear more about it. What batteries are you running and how are you getting the plane to properly balance?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Tony G

Stock mount, stock batteries, and it's sick, I haven't broken a motor mount yet, and I usually practice full power take offs, ROG. It'll pretty much go near straight up to about 150' before running out of steam. Balance has been fine, Ive toyed with the battery location, but other than that nothing. I've got pretty close to 30 flights on it, and by flights I mean down to the end of the battery. Usually around 10-12 min due to the low power setting needed. Though I have to say, I've burned through a 2200mah 3S in 7 mins with a lot of vert,

It is bolt on, gotta change out the ESC, but I can use both on the Eratix if I want (though I'll probably go Power 32)

It is certainly overkill for the Trojan, but SOOOO much fun. And that's why we do what we do!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:55 AM
ChimneyGuy71
There's no crying in RC!

I usually read the RCGroups forum for the T-28 and the biggest E-Flite motor I've heard of them installing was the Power 15. Most of them install the Power 10 and they are always talking about how they are breaking their motor mounts.

I'm surprised your plane doesn't have unlimited vertical. You can run a 4s with the Power 25 right? Do you know how much the AUW is?

My T-28 is bone stock for now. It is a slow for me but I have sooo many projects that I haven't gotten around to upgrading the T-28 yet. I'd like to do something for it some time.

So you're thinking of going Power 32 next?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Tony G

I would think if I stepped down the pitch, I'd have more vert. But as it is, without control authority like the true 3D planes, it won't stand up like it should. I've thought about trying a 4S in there, but it is alreay so crazy, I don't know if I'd gain enough out of it. I don't see myself spending anymore on the Trojan, but I do love flying it for the love of the classic look of it, which is why I was considering the T-34! Hard call with the Eratix, same size, same motor, but the Eratix gives you a little extra sumting!

I've actually considered taking the entire motor combo and dropping it in the Eratix, and buying a Power 15 for the Trojan. But everytime I think of doing that, I can't imagine shorting the Eratix with just a 25. And then I also think about flying the Trojan with less motor, and I have a hard time with that.

I know with the Trojan, I've had to seriously tape down the canopy due to losing it quite a few times during hard aero work. I'm almost at the point of CA'ing the wing to the fuselage, just due to the speed and G's I seem to be putting on it, it was never designed for.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:25 AM
ChimneyGuy71
There's no crying in RC!

Tony,

Do you have a PIC of the Eratix? I am not familiar with it.

I really like the T-34 also, I was actually thinking of building one with a Power 32 motor and E-flite 60 amp ESC. The parts would be cheaper than buying the RTF version of the plane (I don't need the radio/receiver, ESC or battery). I have heard that they will be coming out with a PNP also. Did you know the price went up to $500 bones for the RTF?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Wow -- I had no idea the Trojan has been out for a year already! Time really flys...

Yeah, that Corsair really does look nice... Where's the dedicated thread on the Corsair?
Guy,

Sorry this is so late, I just saw your post here.

Corsair thread is here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...hlight=corsair
Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Already there, buddy. Already there.

But thank you anyway.

Quick Reply: pz t-28 trojan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10898 seconds with 13 queries