Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

PZ Trojan Maiden...All went horribly wrong

Old 06-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Toddy86

Default PZ Trojan Maiden...All went horribly wrong

Hi All,
Got my new Trojan a few days ago and low and behold, after work today the wind was low and there was enough daylight to give her a whirl.

Long story short, she stalled and crashed and the whole nose fell off

The cowl is smashed and will need replacing but I have no idea how to get the prop off in order to get the cowl off.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Toddy
Old 06-17-2008, 01:13 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

There is a small hole in the prop adapter. Put something in there, hold the prop and it should screw off. If there is no hole, use a pair of pliers.

Sorry to hear about your crash. Been there, seen it, done it, bought the tee shirt.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Toddy86

Cheers mate, worked like a charm. No out with the glue and then back in the air.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:42 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

You're welcome. Glad to help you out.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Toddy86

Default The latest

The latest is that I got the prop off, stuck the nose back on (thank god for vice grip, I think thats the Aussie version of Gorilla Glue) and replaced the cowl (after hunting around a bit). Unfortunately, on closer examination, the motor mount is broken so I'll have to replace that.

The real bummer is that when I reconnected the battery the motor won't run at all. All the wires seem to be plugged in, all the other servos work and the esc plays its little tune when I plug the battery in.

So I have two questions:

1. Has this happened to anyone else? There is a better than even money bet I am doing something stupid and someone will know what to do.

2. Has anyone tried the aluminium motor mounts on ebay? Are they any good?

Cheers

Toddy
Old 06-19-2008, 01:07 PM
radweld

Are you sure this isn't why your plane crashed? if the motor died during take off, it would stall and come down quite hard. Although if you can hear the motor beeping, that usually means the ESC and motor are working. Do you get the 3 ascending beeps? this tells you the ESC is armed. If you don't get this then double check the ESC is connected to the RX properly and that your TX is trimmed at 0 throttle. I don't think the ESC will arm unless the throttle is at zero and on mine I had to trim it down a bit before it would arm.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Toddy86

Default Thanks

Thanks very much, I didn't know about trimming the throttle to zero, it works like a charm now.

All I have to do is find out about teh engine mount.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:17 PM
beavenx5

I have broken the motor mount about 4 or 5 times now and never broke anything more serious in the nose (other than a cowl once). I now have a spare motor mount in my fly box just in case.
In my opinion, you should keep using the plastic one. They are cheap to buy, easy to change and will break in case of a crash. You do want a cheap easy to change part to break instead of breaking another part that is harder to change (like a motor shaft or the firewall). In the T-28, that weak, easy to change part is the motor mount.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:45 PM
radweld

I would agree here, it's better to change a simple part like the motor mount instead of breaking the firewall or even the motor it's self. I guess I have been really lucky, I've not had any problems with mine (tempting fate here)
Old 06-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Toddy86

Thanks for the advice, I will ring around the LHS's in the area.

Apparently the motor mounts are pretty thin on the ground over here so if I find any, I'll buy a few.

If I can't find any, I'll see what I can find online.

Cheers
Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 AM
radweld

You can find those ally ones on Ebay but unless your desperate, I would be wary of these. If crash with this, it will bend and probably do damage to the fuse etc. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:33 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Also might wish to apply touch of glue on the wheel panels, my left wing wheel came off inflight, managed a 2 point landing, heard this has happened to others just something to be aware of...especially if your rough on landings at times as I...BEST ..<>..

Super Cub, Night Flights
Stryker B, C
Parkzone Spitz
Multiplex Easy Star Glider
Parkzone Trojan, wow it flys great
Old 06-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Toddy86

Default All is well in West Oz

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice, I managed to get a motor mount and a spare (hopefully, I won't need it too soon).

I have been itching to take the trojan out for flight #2 but its been a bit windy.

Today my impatience got the better of me and I took her up in conditions that I probably shouldn't have and she was brilliant!!!!! Very sensitive compared to my Super Cub, but I guess that was to be expected.

I will have a look at the wheel mounts and glue them up if necessary.

Nice, nice, nice

Toddy
Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Congrats Toddy! It is a nice plane isn't it?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Toddy86

Yep brilliant, now I need a few more batteries.

Any recommendations on the sort of battery for the Trojan?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:59 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Personally, I use Zippy 11.1v 2200mah 20c lipos from www.hobbycity.com
and they work great.

One of my flying partners, Newjak, uses the ABF lipo's and they have done fine too. At $20 a piece, it's a good battery.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._18-23C_Lipoly
Old 06-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Toddy86

Thanks for that, I have another question.

My nose gear doesn't point straight when the rudder is straight. Is this common? Is there a simple solution other than just bending it? It cerainly makes taking off and landing a challenge!!!

Any comments are appreciated.

Cheers

Toddy
Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Under the cowl, you will see a screww that screws down on to the landing gear shaft holding it in. Basically it's pressure mounted. Unscrew it a little, set gear where you want it... tighten it down.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:34 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Heres a pic I hijacked.... That's the screw...
Old 06-23-2008, 04:39 PM
radweld

It seams like every time I take this model out, I have to re-trim the nose wheel to get it to run straight, sometimes it just wont so I've given up. However, in your case what you need to do is to center the rudder and adjust the clevis linkage (that connects to the rudder servo horn) to adjust the length of the rod that connect to the nose wheel. You pull back the small piece of silicone tubing, the clevis should spread open allowing you to remove it from the servo horn, you then rotate it clockwise to shorten the throw or anti-clockwise to lengthen the throw. I can't remember how the effects the nose wheel, I think turning it clockwise makes the nose wheel turn to the right but I'm probably wrong, once you try it you should be able to see what I mean.

The other way is to center to the nose wheel so that it runs straight on the TX and then adjust the rudder so that its straight using the same principle as the nose wheel. The clevis for the rudder at the back, where the rod connects to the rudder.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Thats the only thing on mine that is close to an issue, mine tracks sharply to the left, perhaps also the nose wheel, but I simply correct with some held right stick and it goes straight as an arrow, have to remember to do the same after touchdown, its the only challenge left for me on flying this wonderful machine..mines still not corrected, for me adds realism as have to concentrate on steering, like the real thing, hi hi...don't suggest this, as should be corrected..<>..BEST ..<>..
Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 AM
humboldt guy

Originally Posted by Toddy86 View Post
Thanks for that, I have another question.

My nose gear doesn't point straight when the rudder is straight. Is this common? Is there a simple solution other than just bending it? It cerainly makes taking off and landing a challenge!!!

Any comments are appreciated.

Cheers

Toddy
On mine, the lg control rod where it screws into the clevis is stripped, so it would appear to be centered but would come loose on a hard landing. Rather than glue it, I just opted to put a bit of duct tape around it, which keeps it secure except on very hard landings (a rarity these days!). Just got in flight # 390 today, the birdie flies like new! I love my Trojan, it's been simply outstanding in all aspects!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Toddy86

I have given it a go at straightening the nose gear and it seems firm. Thanks for the advice

Its only one of the 3 w's, weather, work or wife that is stopping me now. They seem to be a constant team that is dedicated to me not flying

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Toddy
Old 06-27-2008, 03:50 PM
humboldt guy

Originally Posted by Toddy86 View Post
I have given it a go at straightening the nose gear and it seems firm. Thanks for the advice

Its only one of the 3 w's, weather, work or wife that is stopping me now. They seem to be a constant team that is dedicated to me not flying

Toddy
You could explain to the wife how flying relaxes you, helps you focus your energy and makes you a better lover! Then maybe she'd be more supportive! As far as the work and weather, no answers except relocate and find a new job?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Toddy86

Could do, truth is, she's lovely and its all in good fun.

As for relocating, sounds like a definate maybe.

Cheers

Quick Reply: PZ Trojan Maiden...All went horribly wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17500 seconds with 12 queries