My first electric flight, today! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

My first electric flight, today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2008, 08:20 PM
HugoW

Default My first electric flight, today!

Well, don't know where to post this, hope it's correct to do so here; I flew my first electric flight today! I totalled my 4cc Telemaster (1.400mm span, 1,7kg) a few weeks ago, and converted it to electric power during the rebuild. It now weighs 1,5kg. It flew like a dream, plenty of power (I have it at High Timing setting, think I'll try Middle tomorrow).

First battery: Three short flights.
Second battery: Two longer flights, then the ESC seriously cut power and I didn't make it all the way to the runway. Smooth toughdown in the tall grass, no problem.
Third battery: One decent flight, second very short, and a small crash upon landing. I broke off the landing gear on our bumpy field. I usually fit that with nylon bolts, but I was out of those so I used steel ones... Fuse cracked. Nothing serious, though, it's already fixed, glue is drying. Batteries are on the charger, try again tomorrow!

Some club members made fun of the electric drive (I aparently am the first electric (non-foamy) flyer in the club), but they appriciated the performance. And while they had some problems firing up their motors in the near freezing temperatures, I was flying around!

Hugo