I had my first flight today, now I need repair help - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

I had my first flight today, now I need repair help

Old 02-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Torch

Default I had my first flight today, now I need repair help

It could have been worse. I flew my new Electristar today, just practicing short straight take offs and landings. Unfortunately my last landing was a bit too nose down and my prop hit the asphalt and broke.

My question is this. Will any 11X7 propeller work? If I go to Hobbytown will I be able to buy any 11X7 and use it or do I have to buy the Hobbico propeller
that Tower sells specifically for the Electristar. They are out of stock on this prop but sell these http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHX1&P=7

Are propellers proprietary or am I good so long as I get the right size?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Balil
foam murderer :D

you can put what ever prop you can fit onto the prop adaptor... hell ive got a MAS 10x6 on a SC.... i prefer the MAS because of their tendency to flex rather than snap... my sc has had several nose firsts *a few intentional* and im still flying the same prop.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Welcome to WF, great place to learn about anything in RC eclectic.

I spent a little time trying to see what type of prop your plane uses. There are basically two types that are typically used with electric motors, the thin type (as the link you supplied) and a SF (slow flyer).

Any brand in the same size and pitch will work and it seems that you have the thin type. The ones you are looking at are relatively inexpensive and will work. They are made by GWS. A little more expensive one by APC will also work and are better quality.

You may have to drill out the hub on the GWS props to fit your particular shaft but the APC come with adapters.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Torch

Thanks, guys.

Solid Hit, I appreciate you spending a little time to give me an answer that fits my exact situation. Much appreciated.

Torch
Old 02-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Hasdrubal
White Belt

Hey Torch,

I had that same issue with my Slow Stick, and when I was at the LHS the guy clued me in on a prop saver. It is an attachment that screws onto the mount, and it lets you rubber band your prop on. I did not like the idea of rubber banding a prop on, but for anything parkflyer size, it works wonderfully. when you hit your prop, the rubberband lets it bend out of the way instead of breaking in half. best part is that the thing literally costs 75 cents!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Thumbs up Congradulations...

Hey Torch,
Congradulations on your first flight. Welcome to Wattflyer and to the sport/hobby. Lots of helpful folks here with good advice. Ideas are many and you'll usually have several to choose from. That said, You would do well using a prop saver which there are several different types but they all do the same job. Also you might consider using a better made prop with the prop saver. Not saying that GWS makes a bad prop but they are fragile and tend to break easily. Also get a few extra props for spares to carry with you. A prop strike can damage a prop so that it'll still be in one piece but will be unsafe to use or might need to be dressed up after a couple of hits. If you start dressing up your props you'll need to invest in a Prop Balancer. One bit of advice here, buy the best you can afford. It'll usually pay for it's self many times over.

Good Luck & Have Fun,
SJ
Old 02-18-2007, 11:46 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default just in case...

I learned this here at WattFlyer, so I don't mean to insult you if you knew this already....

Numbers to the front!
Old 02-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Torch

Thanks again everybody. I bought a couple of new props today at the LHS. I bought these http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XZ972&P=M#tech. They have the words 'Master Airscrew' on them so I didn't have the opportunity to put them on backwards. Thanks for the tip though, Max! I'm going to see if I can find the prop saver. Great idea.