Mystery Brand speed controller - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Mystery Brand speed controller

Old 02-03-2008, 05:02 PM
mred
Super Contributor

Default ESC

Try getting an ESC from hobbycity.com
They have good service and are good people to deal with. The Mystery ESC is nice, but it is a lot easier to program with the controller programing card then the throttle stick. It was $6.95 the last time I looked. I have one and can get you the programming stick functions if you still need them. Mine works great and no problems, except you do need an extra battery pack or UBEC to run it. Other then that, it is a good controller and runs every motor I have ever put on it.
Ed
Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
miroi

Default esc

hi ,

I have some problems with esc I think it schould be mystery brand 30A

when I set the throttle to max and connect the power I hear two intervals

1- single dot . . . .
2- two dots .. .. .. ..

and it repeat the same sequense, no other tones

how I could set the cut of voltige to 3 sells lipo???

it now doesn't cut at any voltige , maybe it starts reducing the power at low than 7v but i'm not sure, wheter it's from controller or from reduced batt power
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 PM
miroi

Default esc okmotor

I have some problems with esc, it's written "okmotor" 30A

when I set the throttle to max and connect the power I hear two intervals

1- single dot . . . .
2- two dots .. .. .. ..

and it repeat the same sequense, no other tones

how I could set the cut of voltige to 3 sells lipo???

it now doesn't cut at any voltige , maybe it starts reducing the power at low than 7v but i'm not sure, wheter it's from controller or from reduced batt power

Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 AM
mred
Super Contributor

okmotor is a new one on me. I never heard of it. If you are only getting two items to program I have no idea what it is. I think the best thing you can do is e-mail the person you bought it from and ask them. They should be able to tell you what the program is. With just two, I would only be guessing. On mine, I can set everything, but you have to disconnect the battery every time you program a function. You can only do one thing at a time and that is one thing I hate about it. I would try Hobby City and get a new ESC and programing card from them. I use the Turnigy ESC and have had very good luck with them and they are easy to program with the card and don't cost very much. The program card is very fast and you can program everything all at once with it. For the one you have now, I would send an e-mail to whoever you bought it from and ask them.

If you are going to 7 volts on a 3 cell LiPo, that is way to low. You should never go below 9 volts on 3 cells. Much lower then that and you will be buying a new battery. Run a LiPo down to far and there is no comming back. If the ESC you are using now is not cutting off, get another one before you wreck a battery. The cost of a new ESC is less then a battery is. The one I told you about will set the voltage for LiPo or Nicad, but it sounds like yours is not for a LiPo battery, or at least not set for now.
Ed
Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM
shard76

Talking Mystery ESC

Have found the chinese people who sell mystery products to everyone else.

they are located here:
http://www.777model.com/en/product.asp?cid=228

You will also find USB connector cable for futaba transmitters at well as other goodies.

Have Fun
Shard
(The Original)
Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Radbuster
Park Flyer

Angry Mystery ESC

I've been trying to re-program my FM10A for a 2S lipo (from a 3S, where it worked fine). No luck. I saw a post somewhere that said cut-off was permanently set at 8.4V. That appears to be the case. The maker says it auto-detects cell numbers. I think not. I ended up using a Phoenix 10 instead.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 PM
mred
Super Contributor

I got so mad at my Mystery that I took it out and put in a Turnigy Plush and that ended my problems. I also like the programing card that you use with it a lot better then trying to program with the throttle stick and all those silly tunes the Mystery has. Never going back either.

Ed
Old 12-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Radbuster
Park Flyer

Default Mystery batteries too

I've had the same bad luck with Mystery batteries (LIPO, 3S). Always re-soldering the contacts. Stay away.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 PM
mred
Super Contributor

From what I have seen of the mystery brand, they can keep all of their stuff. I have yet to see anything they put out that I would buy again. I'll stick with what I know works and they don't cost any more or not mush more then the mystery brand and I can get anything I want and I know it works right. No more guessing and no more playing around with that stupid program that mystery uses. Much easier to program with a program card and for $7.00 for the program card, it's a deal you can't beat. It works with the whole line too, not just some of them.

Ed
Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 PM
compflight

I must admit I have a couple of 2800mAh 3S Lipos that I would not trade a Flightpower with any day. So not all is rubbish.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default I know this is old thread but - Mystery ESC are OK with right manuals

Mystery ESC's come in various forms and actually not all have same programming instructions. Second many of them can in fact be programmed by card as well as via the "throttle stick" of transmitter.

I have joined this forum late and one reason was I was looking for the 'other' instructions for a Mystery 30A Pentium 6 ESC .... this thread was highlighted on Google.

On reading through the thread - it was obvious, and this please I mean no disrespect, that many did not know about the different program instructions that are available for them

There are 2 main programming instructions :

The Mystery basic set - which is probably what most people here have got hold of - if they don't work, then you need the HW**A (** = the Amps rating ie mine is the HW30A) instructions which are far more comprehensive and have all the functions that many top end ESC's have incl. program card.

The two files are hopefully attached ... do not worry that HW30A is for the 30A ESC ... as the instructions list all HW types ...

I have no commercial or other connection to Mystery brand - just a user who has had good service from the items ... LiPo charger, ESC's, LiPo batterys etc. Why pay more for same ?

Cheers
Nigel
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HW30A ESC.pdf (191.6 KB, 735 views)
File Type: pdf
Mystery_20a30amanual.pdf (114.4 KB, 676 views)
Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 PM
chaz

I have the Mystery 80Amp controller and did my initial setup with the oldest receiver (1991 Futaba 7 ch FM) that I own just in case I hooking up something wrong and creating smoke. To my surprise, everything worked perfect!. However, when I swapped out receivers to the one I will actually fly with (Airtronics 8 ch 2.4), I get no throttle at all, no matter what my tx settings are. Also tried Hitec fm receivers and no luck. Could this be related to the pwm frequency settings?? Anyone else experience this? Thank you.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I have the Mystery 80Amp controller and did my initial setup with the oldest receiver (1991 Futaba 7 ch FM) that I own just in case I hooking up something wrong and creating smoke. To my surprise, everything worked perfect!. However, when I swapped out receivers to the one I will actually fly with (Airtronics 8 ch 2.4), I get no throttle at all, no matter what my tx settings are. Also tried Hitec fm receivers and no luck. Could this be related to the pwm frequency settings?? Anyone else experience this? Thank you.
As I found out - there are two types of ESC that can be branded Mystery ... unfortunately you cannot mix the instructions !
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

solentlife,

Mystery rebrands and sells many different ESC's.

The first manual you posted (HW30A) is of course a rebranded Hobbywing Pentium series (also sold as Turnigy Plush). Any of the Turnigy Plush or Hobbywing program cards should work.

The second manual appears to be for the 'Blue series'. These ESC's are very similar to the CommonSenseRC Z Series, older Hyperion Titan, etc. There is a programming card for these as well, but be careful... the cards appear similar but are slightly different in terms of options.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Correct.

What amazes me is the number of times i read various online about Mystery being no good ... !

Considering they are re-labelling pretty well same goods as others who are supposed to be 'better' amuses me !!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

What if....... the products re-branded as "Mystery" are the ones which failed quality control tests at "HobbyWing" etc!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Last edited by Dr Kiwi; 12-12-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I don't know or have any experience of Hobbywing ... so bit of a non starter for me ...

As I don't have LHS or over counter access to items - I have to buy as advertised online. It has meant that at least half the ESC's and the last pack of servos I bought have been Mystery gear ... and I have had no problems. The ESC that smoked - was my own fault.

What I do know is that Mystery do rebrand other gear ... same as Turnigy and many others.

Maybe Mystery are picking up rejects or seconds of production lines ... I don't know ... similar to grey items that flooded Computer Stores in UK some years ago ... bought from US Co's who had access to various non g'teed 'seconds' gear such as Bull Honeywell etc. - How do I know about it ... I was close to taking one Dealer in UK to court over it when the gear went t's up after 2 months.

What happens behind the scenes on many items would bring tears to many consumers eyes ...

So far I have no complaint with Mystery gear ... I am no QC bench - so have to go on whether it works as claimed or not ..

Sorry if I differ.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Shoofly

Default Mystery ESC programming?

I have a 30a ESC that is advertised as a Mystery make although it is not labeled, more than likely because of discounting. Anyhow it just gives me a slow single beep, and the motor studders with each beep. Does this mean it needs programming or is my rx not binding with my tx? My tx is a HK-6X and my rx is a Corona CR8D dsss. The beep starts after the normal string of startup beeps when power is applied. If anyone has had this experience and solved it I would appreciate knowing the solution. Whoever solves this gets to marry the princess!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Sounds like the ESC is not arming. Usually it would arm when you close the throttle but if the Rx is not bound to the Tx then that would explain the problem.

Do the servos work normally (which proves the Rx is bound to the Tx)?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Using a Futaba radio? If so reverse your throttle channel. Sounds like your ESC is going into programming mode (which is done by having the throttle high when plugged in)

Take the prop off when programming.

Originally Posted by Shoofly View Post
I have a 30a ESC that is advertised as a Mystery make although it is not labeled, more than likely because of discounting. Anyhow it just gives me a slow single beep, and the motor studders with each beep. Does this mean it needs programming or is my rx not binding with my tx? My tx is a HK-6X and my rx is a Corona CR8D dsss. The beep starts after the normal string of startup beeps when power is applied. If anyone has had this experience and solved it I would appreciate knowing the solution. Whoever solves this gets to marry the princess!!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Shoofly

The HK-6X is a Hobby King 6 channel 5 model memory tx. This radio has a display screen and is programmed without a computer. It is 2.4ghz and dsss not dsm like other 2.4ghz models. This limits the receivers available to the HK8R and now the Corona dsss receivers. The Corona rx uses the push button bind while hooking up power ( can you see the problem here without an on/off switch?). If not, try pushing a small imbedded button with a stick while you plug two wires together and watch for two led signals that are impossible to see thru a dark case. Took some real thought to design these rx. They also end plug w/o polarity markings and no instructions. And the cover tends to come apart very easily. They are a hit and miss bind but I hear they have great operational benefits once you get them talking. I cannot find the original rx for this radio. This has become one of lifes little challenges.