Hobbyking Slick 360 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Hobbyking Slick 360

Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Default Hobbyking Slick 360

I just pushed the buy button on one of the new Hobbyking Slick 360 3D ARF's, 1300mm span. I've had mixed experiences with HK planes in the past but this new Slick seems to be very high quality and is getting good reviews. Its really created quite a stir on some other forums.

My plan is to keep the cost down by using parts I have available from my spare parts box, so motor will be a Scorpion S2030 1110kv re-wound to about 710kv, bluebird BMS-380max servos all round and either a 60A hobby wing or 85A ZTW ESC. battery will be a 4s Gens Ace 2200

Also available in Orange (which is spooky close to the 3D Hobbyshop AJ Slick colour scheme:

flying video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAkojGljuc4
Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM
PinkYakRC
Team AirfoilZ

Wow...clone much?

-Hunter
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
PinkYakRC
Team AirfoilZ

I enjoyed the video though.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 AM
TopSpin

Well it is definetly a knock off but it is a lot less expensive. I'm waiting to see the reviews from regular flyers since I have only seen a couple and they appear to be paid advertisers.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:13 AM
PinkYakRC
Team AirfoilZ

Agreed.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

I read the thread on "the other site" and watched Wargo's and Bigroger's videos... Looks very promising. I heard you ordered one, Steve. Let us know how it works out!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

at 51" ws,and 119 + shipping cost= $179 ,close enough to 3dhs cost and the reputation of the company to go to in case of issues.

but if your report is good,i think we'll be seeing more hk balsa plane flying.....i guess this is one of those comparing apples to oranges items.

51" AJ Slick - Red4 Review(s)Your Price: $239.99
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

After all the raving reviews, I broke down and ordered one. If all goes to hell I can just move the electrics to an AJ Slick...
Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
dkrhardy

Waiting for 2 folks to report!
Don
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Guys,

I'd argue that other than the orange colour scheme (which is admittedly a blatant 3DHS copy) it's not a 'knock off' at all. the 3DHS plane is modelled on the real Slick aerobatic aircraft. Another manufacturer choosing to model a Slick is no more of a 'knock off' than all the Yak's, Sukhoi's, Edges, Extras and CAP's that pretty much every manufacturer has in their range. The design of the HK slick is nothing at all like the 3DHs version except for being the same span.
the HK Slick is actually quite a bit smaller than the 3DHS 51" Slick, it seems to fit half way between a 48" extreme Flight EXP and the 3DHS 51" AJ Slick.

Anyway, yes I ordered one and it arrived two days ago. Quality is first class, just as good as the top brands. It's hard to believe how much Hobbyking have improved since the last ARF I got from them a couple of years ago. Even the manual is not too bad though nothing like as good as an extreme Flight manual. Build is moving slowly as I don't have a lot of spare time during the week but I have got the motor installed and the tail fixed in place, so far so good. the only bits that do smack of cost saving are the pushrods which are fairly soft wire and which I'll be upgrading.

I'll take some photos once there is something worth taking a photo of.

Steve
Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Been watching the other thread. I'm still hesitant to order one because I fear breakage in international shipping. But if it comes to the USA warehouse I will order it straight away.

I'm working on the Money Shot right now and it's build quality is Okay... not great but not terrible ether. I should finish it this weekend.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Mine is coming together (see attached)

The hardware spec is stuff from my spare parts box:
Motor: Scorpion SII-3020 which was originally 1110kv but I've re-wound to 750 kv in order to spin a 14" prop on 4s.
ESC: ZTW 85A
Servos: Blue-Bird BMS 380-Max MG
Rx: Orange 7 channel

The build has been perfectly smooth and problem free. Quality of the kit is absolutely top notch, as good as anything I've seen before. Fit up of all components was effortless.
CG looks to be coming out spot on with a 4s 2200mah installed. The battery compartment is truly cavernous so you could use something much bigger if you wanted. All up weight is especially impressive, it's looking like being between 54 and 55oz ready to fly with battery installed which is remarkable for what is a pretty large model fitted with kit that's far from the lightest available.

About the only thing to watch for if you are buying one of these Slicks is motor length and motor cross mount diameter. The overall motor length including prop adapter and cross mount needs to be no more than 52mm otherwise you will end up with a gaping spinner to cowl gap. My scorpion is 60mm long so I had to shorten the motor box (though I knew this perfectly well before I purchased). Hobbyking have a few motors that will fit without any modification and there are numerous others that would also fit fine but most if not all motors with collet type prop adapters will be too long. The motor mount plate is also not overly large so motors with a stator diameter of more than 30mm or so might also be tricky to fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HK_Slick.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	158195  

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 03-15-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
at 51" ws,and 119 + shipping cost= $179 ,close enough to 3dhs cost and the reputation of the company to go to in case of issues.
I'm not sure about being close. At least where I live the HK Slick delivered is less than half the cost of a 3DHS AJ Slick delivered, and shipping damage is equally likely in either case. Plus if you are not in the USA after sales support even of 3DHS is difficult and expensive.

Even in the USA 99% of people are going to have to pay some shipping so it's unfair to compare the shipped HK price with the 3DHS price excluding shipping (plus you can get $11 off the HK price just by hovering on the page for a while or automatically if you are a Platinum member). But I agree 3DHS are top notch products and you might well decide it's worth the extra and I'd not argue. The comparison does look very different for those who aren't in the USA through.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:27 AM
TopSpin

Some people forget that not everyone lives here in the US.

I heard that HK was supposed to open a warehouse in the UK but don't know if that has happened yet. Can you order from the European warehouse? Seems like that would save a lot of ware and tear.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I had the day off work today so i got the rest of the Slick assembled. Installing the servos took a little longer than usual because the servos I'm using are a slightly bigger then the holes, so a some work is needed. I also replaced the standard pushrods which are adequate but only just, with carbon pushrods with ball links and to cap it off i made up some extended carbon servos arms. All surfaces now have over 45 Deg of travel, the elevator has about 75 Deg on highest rates.

It was a bit windy (15mph) and the light was starting to fade but I couldn't resist giving it a quick test fly. It all went perfectly, two clicks of down and she was trimmed. CG as per manual is bang on with inverted requiring no down elevator. Conditions and my nerves meant I didnt push it but I did do a short KE spin which was no problem (needs bit of left aileron to keep it locked in). I tried some brief knife edge which was also uneventful. For KE mix I copied over the settings from my Extreme Flight Edge EXP 48" (negative 6% aileron, zero elevator) these settings were very close but there was a slight tuck to the belly so I'll try a couple of % up mix for the next flight. To test for wing rock I did a couple of long elevators, there was not even a hint of wing rock and no tendency at all to drop a wing it also kept nice and straight and remained controllable on the rudder even with the full 75 deg of elevator deflection..

I was also testing my hand wound Scorion and it also came through with flying colours. With about 1kW to play with performance at WOT is truly startling I need to do a few checks on the motor to make sure it's not getting too hot after hard use, the two flights I had today hardly warmed it up at all but I was taking it easy most of the time.

Name:	DSCN1137.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	158239   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1141.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	158240   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1142.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	158241  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 PM
losifanatic
RC Addict

Well I have one of these comming. Bought it off a guy on rc groups. Can't wait to see how its going to perform.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Please post a video, my 3D flying is too lame to share
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 PM
losifanatic
RC Addict

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Please post a video, my 3D flying is too lame to share
Will do. After watching a few of the guys on RC Groups I feel the same way about my flying
Old 04-15-2012, 02:51 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

For those of you interested in this plane who are not following the extremely chatty (and sometimes incredibly entertaining) thread on RCGroups:

The verdict is in. While not as good as the AJ Slick 51", it's a pretty darn good plane, especially considering the price. Not the easiest plane to fly, but it rewards you if you take the time to figure it out.

JetPlaneFlyer, would you agree with that?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I couldn't have put it better myself

Just to expand on the 'not easiest to fly' comment. This is not a trainer, but in normal flight I've not found any bad habits. It has a very light wing loading so can be slowed up really nicely and has a predictable stall. Anyone confident with an aileron model should not have any trouble. In normal aerobatics it's also perfect, the roll rate is pronominal even compared to other 3D models. It also does violent tumbling type manoeuvres really well, KE spins are excellent.

Where it needs more skill is in 3D flight post stall, specifically in harrier flight. I've struggled with wing rock and had a crash due to it (now fixed) but with the right technique it's flies harrier perfectly well, it's just not quite as easy as some other 3D models (extreme Flight Edge is the one I have to compare it with).

A lot of the 3D hardcore guys were expecting the HK Slick to fall to pieces the first time anyone did any violent manoeuvres but so far no one has managed to break one in flight, and some have tried very hard! I'm really pleased with my Slick, and the fact that it was such a bargain price is an extra bonus.

Steve
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The look of the slick just keeps growing on me.. I made some decals today (too windy to fly):

Name:	HK_Slick_360.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	158951  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:48 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

So have you figured out the harriers yet? I think I had my "aha" moment the other day. I had it sitting completely still against the wind with 30 degrees alpha without any rocking. It took a lot of concentration, though... Now I just need to get the guts to do it low and slow... Ah, the tribulations of a 3D noob!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The look of the slick just keeps growing on me.. I made some decals today (too windy to fly):
Nice!

You know that the blue color scheme is actually "scale"? I saw a clip of a 1:1 Slick somewhere and it had a very similar color scheme.

Found it! Complete with commentary in Afrikaans (I think) [Edit: I thought wrong. It's SA English]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9QiRgjilWI&feature=related[/media]
Old 04-15-2012, 08:09 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
So have you figured out the harriers yet?
Stop rubbing it in

Actually I went out this afternoon and did manage a few sustained rock-free harriers. What I did differently was to pulse the throttle to keep the nose higher and and a bit more active on the ailerons to hold the wings level.
I did have one wing drop though, which kept me on my toes and which meant that I still haven't recovered the confidence to get low with the harriers.

harriers aside though the more I fly the Slick the more I like it. I was attempting pop tops today which were going 'sort of' ok but I usually ended up inverted, so I'm still not doing it quite right. A dog walker was impressed , he came over to tell me that it was the best flying he's seen. His dog was obviously harder to please because made it's opinion known by cocking its leg on the Slick's rudder
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Haha! I have the exact same problem with the pop tops! They ALWAYS end up inverted. Still looks cool, but a bit harder to recover from. I can do them perfect every time in the simulator... One problem I have is that my motor only pulls 670W, so the up-lines aren't as fast as I want them and the pop tops end up kind of.. well... wimpy... I think I need to put some more horsepower under the cowl!

Quick Reply: Hobbyking Slick 360

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10591 seconds with 20 queries