Not cool, HobbyKing! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Not cool, HobbyKing!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Default Not cool, HobbyKing!

I got this email from "Jane" with a subject line of "Your request". I was sure it was spam, but for some reason I opened the email. This is what I found. It SO looks like a scam, but I'm pretty sure it's not. Either way, really not a professional way of treating customers...

Jane, Oct-07 00:05 (HKT):Hi Xxxxx ,
Thanks for shopping with us.Please kindly note that the item FURY-3D-ARF real weight is 2734g. Your parcel Total Weight should be 3337g.We need to upgrade to Air Parcel (UNITED STATES) 3000g - 3499g $41.74to ship your order.The extra shipping fee is $41.74-$31.34 =10.40.
Please settle the amount of 10.40USD via PayPal to [email protected] and provide us transition ID. We will then arrange shipment to you.Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks for emailing support.
If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Regards.
Jane
HobbyKing Support Team
Dont forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for discounts and promotions!
www.facebook.com/hobbykinglive
www.twitter.com/hobbykinglive
Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Totally agree. IMHO if they miscalculated shipping weight that's their problem and the should swallow the extra charge. May be worth complaining? There again that may just delay despatch?

Steve
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

I disagree. You have the option to cancel your order and get a full refund.

It's completely not like Oil Changers tried to pull on me. I buy multiple oil changes in advance to get a discount. Got a change last week and when they were done they said I owed another $3 because of some fuel fee. I said, no I don't. I've paid and you've delivered the service. You can't add a fee afterwards when it's too late for me to not agree to the deal.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:22 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

It was more the way they asked for money that ticked me off... Oh well... I just sent them 10 bucks. I want my money shot!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Just last week I had ordered a Quanum telemetry system that arrived DOA. I sent it back and the credited my account for the price of the item but NOT the shipping I paid BOTH ways. I emailed to tell them they needed to send a replacement and they agreed.

Look, when you deal with HK the shipping is always a huge percentage of the total. I hate to pay for the return of defective products. However, I could go to my LHS and not have to deal with that but we all know why we buy at HK. Even with the shipping the costs are really low and their concept of "service" is just part of the deal.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
It was more the way they asked for money that ticked me off... Oh well... I just sent them 10 bucks. I want my money shot!
I understand, but it's probably just because they're culture is different and they don't speak English very well. What might appear rude to Western, English natives is often them just not knowing the correct words. Just a guess.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Guess there are different ways to look at it but if they advertised and quoted a certain shipping fee and you ordered and paid for the product and shipping at that advertised/quoted price then IMHO they should honour the deal. Its not like $10 is going to bankrupt Hobbyking.

Having said that, 'if push come to shove' I'd have paid the extra $10 too.

Steve
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 PM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

They wouldn't get the money from me, like others said they should honor the deal and ship it out. And correct the issue on the site for their future orders. My 2 cents.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 AM
TopSpin

Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
I understand, but it's probably just because they're culture is different and they don't speak English very well. What might appear rude to Western, English natives is often them just not knowing the correct words. Just a guess.
Yeah their culture is different. It's greed centric.

FWIW any decent company would have taken the hit for their mistake and shipped it to you at no extra charge.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

To me when you finalize the order it is contract. You agreed to pay that price for that stuff shipped. They need to fulfill their end.

Yet another reason I no longer use them. Thanks for reminding me they are not getting "better". Too many US shippers with excellent stuff for a similar price. And returns are a non-issue.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 AM
spad

And, then, there are the bully boys they send out to cyberbully folks on various forums.

Sooner or later, guys named Phoenix, Mark, Chrissy, Vince and God knows what will show up, here, and start a brawl.

I hope this company gets what it deserves.

Last edited by spad; 10-11-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:30 PM
TopSpin

Eventually they will suffer as more and more Chinese vendors are comming on board with similar products and prices but who actually communicate directly with the customer. LowpriceRC is one example that I have personally dealt with. I still deal with US vendors or my LHS if I plan to make a large purchase because I know they will all take care of me if there is a problem.

Hobby City's version of customer service is to stonewall the customer and hold on to your money as long as possible.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:46 PM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

And that's why we have paypal
Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Paypal can't help with the seller has nothing in their account.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

No, that's why you use a real credit card, and you issue a chargeback. Paypal is NOT a good way to pay for stuff. They are NOT a regulated financial business and they DO NOT have to work with you to get your money back. WHY DON'T PEOPLE FIGURE THAT OUT.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
No, that's why you use a real credit card, and you issue a chargeback. Paypal is NOT a good way to pay for stuff. They are NOT a regulated financial business and they DO NOT have to work with you to get your money back. WHY DON'T PEOPLE FIGURE THAT OUT.
I've had excellent service generally with paypal ... but there are 2 areas that they are very poor on :

a) If you travel a lot like I do ... you come up against paypal failing to pay for an item you buy online. I can only assume they detect ISP you are using and auto decide whether to accept you are who who you say you are. There is no way round it ... unless you want to telephone them and pay huge tel costs. I suggested to them that they should have an extra level of security question etc. to confirm when travelling ... no reply.

b) They say they will look after you as buyer ... which is true ... BUT only if you fit their specific classifications. f your claim doesn't fit - it fails ....... I know from personal experience. Bought gear ... one item had failed LED screen. Contacted seller who said ship it back ... I replied that shipping back was higher priced than buying a new item from THEM ! They replied ... then buy a new one ... and that was last I heard from them.
I had tried to keep it nice and reasonable. I then opened a claim via Paypal ........... no way to pass to them the correspondence ... no way to get it to fit the classifications they had ... PP basically did a face job and threw it out at so many days later. Seller - he never even replied to PP ...

So PP is not as great as they say ... but as long as you stay in normal realms and normal faults - they do OK ...

Step outside the rails and they are rubbish and no use ...

There is one avenue that using Credit Card with HK is good ... you have the cancel and refund functiion of Credit Card ... so HK get the stick ...
Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
b) They say they will look after you as buyer ... which is true ... BUT only if you fit their specific classifications. f your claim doesn't fit - it fails ....... I know from personal experience. Bought gear ... one item had failed LED screen. Contacted seller who said ship it back ... I replied that shipping back was higher priced than buying a new item from THEM ! They replied ... then buy a new one ... and that was last I heard from them.
I had tried to keep it nice and reasonable. I then opened a claim via Paypal ........... no way to pass to them the correspondence ... no way to get it to fit the classifications they had ... PP basically did a face job and threw it out at so many days later. Seller - he never even replied to PP ...
Had that happen to me when the classification didn't fit. Solution: Call PayPal and explain the situation. They worked with me and fixed the problem.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Had that happen to me when the classification didn't fit. Solution: Call PayPal and explain the situation. They worked with me and fixed the problem.
Calling from Latvia to USA at premium rates ? for a $30 item ? That's the problem ... live in USA and calling PP is not so bad ...

Now the thread here is about HK ... and to be honest i had a problem when buying my next Model / Rx to fit ... paypal refused to pay out as I am travelling ... so I bought with Credit card ...

Anyway cut a long story short - it all got mixed up and a mess ... I then clicked on the online support chat with HK and "Ricky" came on ... within minutes it was sorted and orders made. Very pleased with it ... just hope the model is as good !!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 PM
TopSpin

Keep buying from Hobby City and you can hone those repair skills to a razors edge. Besides, it's always more fun to fix brand new stuff right out of the box than it is if you crashed it.

Cheaper than shipping from Latvia to Hong Kong and back too I'll bet.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Keep buying from Hobby City and you can hone those repair skills to a razors edge. Besides, it's always more fun to fix brand new stuff right out of the box than it is if you crashed it.

Cheaper than shipping from Latvia to Hong Kong and back too I'll bet.
I'm actually quite amused by this ... no disrespect intended.

Back in 70's kits were pretty bad and most of us spent time cleaning up poor die-cutting ... poor fitting components etc. The price was not cheap either.
So I come from that era ... where I had to sort nearly every kit I bought.

Todays generation have RTF and other variations .. which as I've found do not really matter where you buy as they are often same article. The days of the "Expert, pro Model shop" bdeing in every town etc. is long gone ... most of them now are fancy toy-shops selling on boxes of foam ...

Price of a HK model for me is cheap ... include shipping and it's still cheaper than if I travel 3hrs by car to the only town in latvia that has model shop ... he charges me higher price than HK for a lesser model ... then I have 3hrs drive back. It's done deal for me ... HK / Ebay wins hands down everytime.
So If I have to modify a new out of box kit / RTF / ARF ... that's usually because I am a stickler and I decide to do it .. the fact that the model could fly without my mods is not a concern of mine. I've learnt over the years what I consider better way to do something. I have a personal dislike of taped hingeing ... so I rip that of and install proper hinges.

At the end of the day ... the price of HK / Ebay gear is so cheap generally - that a few mods and bits here / there is not really an issue. My point is to enjoy flying a model ... I buy a model for it's looks and what I can make it do.

Olde Worlde vs New World ?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Solentlife, I couldn't agree more. I've had excellent service from HobbyKing over the last three years and the postage from HK to UK is not an issue. In some cases it's the same as it would be from a UK supplier. All the gear I have had from them has worked perfectly and continues to do so.

The only problem I have had with Chinese made servos were with ones that were supplied by a UK on line model store. They didn't return to centre and drifted seriously, so much so as to make the model uncontrollable after a few operations of the sticks.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:28 PM
TopSpin

Originally Posted by spad View Post
And, then, there are the bully boys they send out to cyberbully folks on various forums.

Sooner or later, guys named Phoenix, Mark, Chrissy, Vince and God knows what will show up, here, and start a brawl.

I hope this company gets what it deserves.
Here they come..
Old 10-14-2011, 04:32 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Here they come..
You have got to be joking Topspin, at least I really hope that you are!!! . I have no connection with Hobby King at all however I do appreciate low cost gear that enables me to continue flying.
If you are suggesting that I, because I have dared to express my opinion based upon my own personal findings, have been paid or encouraged by this company in some way then that couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 PM
spad

Baz, Top knows who "they" are, and so far, you ain't one.

Can you say, "John Wayne Gacy?"
Old 10-14-2011, 05:26 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Yikes... I really didn't start this thread as a platform for a HobbyKing flame war... This was just some venting to express my mild annoyance over a specific issue. I've long since paid the 10 bucks and moved on...

But I also tend to agree with Solentlife and Baz. You have to treat HK for what it is: A rock bottom discount store. You'd be hard pressed to find better prices, but it comes with a certain level of risk. So as a smart consumer you have two choices: Don't use them at all or educate yourself so you can tell the junk from the bargains. It's really that simple...

Quick Reply: Not cool, HobbyKing!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15810 seconds with 13 queries