Binding Recievers? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Binding Recievers?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:02 PM
chipnkim

Default Binding Recievers?

How is it done and can I just buy a receiver and Bind it ti any radio?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by chipnkim View Post
How is it done and can I just buy a receiver and Bind it ti any radio?

Nope
Due to the software inside the various 2.4 Ghz radio systems, you can't mix Spektrum/JR with Futaba, HiTec or other microwave type receivers. They just are not compatible with each other. Kind of like English, Spanish, French, German.

Some of the Spektrum receivers have been "Cloned" (read design stolen) by some folks and are being sold as "Compatible". Those receivers might be OK for a cheap "Foamie" or similar model, but they won't show up in my $$$$ models.

As for binding, each radio manufacturer has their own binding process. As for Spektrum/JR and their AR7000 and similar receivers, that binding process involves connecting a "Binding Plug" to the receiver, and going through a set procedure to bind the receiver. That binding procedure is well covered in the Spektrum radio manual.

Nice thing about the Spektrum/JR system is their model match feature. Some wattflyer readers suggest this is not a real advantage over the other radio systems. Model match makes it impossible to take off with the wrong model selected in your transmitter. (Like taking off with the aileron reversed.) If the selected model in your Spektrum transmitter does not match the receiver in the model, the receiver is dead. dead. dead. I've seen more than a few very nice models destroyed over the years because of this issue.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 PM
chipnkim

Yes it helps. So When I buy a transmitter, I should figure in that I will have to buy only that brand receiver. And is their a better match for a greenhorn or is it like a Ford and Chevy.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

It's ford vs chevy. I would stick to a big name though, Spektrum, Futaba, Hitech/Multiplex. Spektrum is the most common simply because they were first.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Yes it helps. So When I buy a transmitter, I should figure in that I will have to buy only that brand receiver. And is their a better match for a greenhorn or is it like a Ford and Chevy.
Watch for the cost of the extra receivers, what ever brand 2.4 Ghz RC system you buy. That's part of the total cost of these units.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
It's ford vs chevy. I would stick to a big name though, Spektrum, Futaba, Hitech/Multiplex. Spektrum is the most common simply because they were first.
Various numbers exist on this, but many sources indicate that Spektrum/JR have the majority of 2.4 Ghz radio systems out there. Some of the "entry level" Spektrum radios are pretty reasonable in price.

If you're planning on a lot of models in the future, consider as a minimum the Spektrum DX7 transmitter series. That said, I ran across a guy last summer flying a 3KW electric model with a Spektrum DX6i system, and having zero problems with it.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM
chipnkim

Thanks everyone, Another ? how should I position my receiver in my plane, can the antenna run along the next to the battery or should it be away from every thing. My receiver has 2 small leads and it is tight in between the battery and the servos. Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Wisc-BK
Watch this........:-(

In my experience ( Spectrum brand ), I tend to keep the Rx away from the ESC and motor, the battery does not generate electric fields, but the ESC does pulse data to the motor and of course the motor is spinning in an electric field. That said I have had no problem with my Rx's being at least 2 to 3 inches away from the ESC and/or motor. I have one model where my Rx is less than 2 inches from the battery and ESC, but like 6 inches from the motor and have had no problems during flight.

Bob
Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Thanks everyone, Another ? how should I position my receiver in my plane, can the antenna run along the next to the battery or should it be away from every thing. My receiver has 2 small leads and it is tight in between the battery and the servos. Thanks

Main thing to watch for on these 2.4 Ghz radios is the transmitter is "Line of sight" to the receiver. If your battery is in between the receiver and the transmitter, it might be shielded. One reason Spektrum went to a two receiver setup. Or one receiver with longer antenna extensions.

IMHO, there is not a lot to worry about from electrical noise from the ESC and motor. These 2.4 Ghz frequencies are orders of magnitude higher in frequency than the esc electrical noise. Assuming you're using name brand receivers anyhow.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

With most Rx's having the dual redundancy system of twin antena's ... I usually route one down the inside of fuselage and other a small hole in fuselage side and poke it out into the breeze ... You see it on ground, unless like my Cessna - it's right under the wing so hidden from immediate view. With my EDF T45 - it exits in front of stbd air inlet.

Trick is : Rx is listening on both antena's by switching very quickly between them ... you can have one masked and not working 100% of the time and as long as other is in contact - all works OK. The reason for 2 is that the model is turning, rolling, banking ... and it presents different aspect view to the Tx antena ... 2.4Ghz is subject to masking by metal, CF, even foil ... so needs to have clear view ... idea is that at least one antena should be in view or clear of metallic obstruction back to Tx ... at any time ...

Problem as you've found is that models are not designed with two short antena's in mind and you end up with what you have. The old days of FM - you routed the antena lead out of fuselage and back to tail ... it was long enough to get clear of gear. So what to do ?
One way ios to have one antena routed out via the wing seat .. so that it lies along the wing .. in flight don't worry that it will move / flap - in fact that's good as it will be making itself visible !!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
With most Rx's having the dual redundancy system of twin antena's ... !!

Yup, Before Cable TV, we had television rabbit ears for antennas. You had to align those rabbit ears for best TV reception. So we need two antennas aligned in different directions for our little microwave receivers.

Same thing on these 2.4 Ghz receivers. Since the length of the antenna is directly proportional to the frequency of the receiver, you get an idea of just how high a frequency our 2.4 Ghz receivers operate at. TV rabbit ears are some three or four feet long, our little receivers have about an inch of antenna. And, depending on the channel, TV signals are on the order of 500 to 1000 Megahertz (500,000,000 cycles per second).
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I cannot help thinking that a remote Rx antena would be better. If it could be connected via a longer co-ax ( actually I think at the freq. Co-Ax is not so good ? ) ... so the actual working antena can be rigged more like the older longer FM style. Then we wouldn't have the problem as this guy has ... antena alongside batterys etc. And possibly no need for 2 antena.

BUT if that was done - radio manual would have to inform spercifically about deploying the END of antena ...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:38 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I cannot help thinking that a remote Rx antena would be better. If it could be connected via a longer co-ax ( actually I think at the freq. Co-Ax is not so good ? ) ... so the actual working antena can be rigged more like the older longer FM style. Then we wouldn't have the problem as this guy has ... antena alongside batterys etc. And possibly no need for 2 antena.

BUT if that was done - radio manual would have to inform spercifically about deploying the END of antena ...
You could use a receiver designed for carbon fiber fuselages with the "Active" portion of the microwave antenna at the end of what looks to be a coax cable. Take a look at Spektrums version of this.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR9310
Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
chipnkim

Thanks all! I 'm just trying to make sure my Maiden flite is not challenged by anything but my skill.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:19 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
You could use a receiver designed for carbon fiber fuselages with the "Active" portion of the microwave antenna at the end of what looks to be a coax cable. Take a look at Spektrums version of this.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR9310
I have 2 FlySky Rx's that have similar - long before Spekie did it. The FlySky connecting lead though is still relatively short.

They work ... but I changed later to FrSky for other facilities and moving into data logging later.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 PM
chipnkim

Ok maiden done, Kids did great, Dad well my plane is still in one of the only two trees in the field.