The Trials of Ordering Online - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

The Trials of Ordering Online

Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Default The Trials of Ordering Online

I can't ever seem to get the things I need locally. The hobby shops still seem to think everyone flies Nitro.

So, I try to order domestically when the price is right and domestic online merchants actually have stock but often they don't. My favorite is Headsup RC but their stock levels vary a lot.

About a month ago I went to order a 32 size motor and 60 amp ESC and Headsup was out of their power 32. I am anxious to fly a P-51 that I have been working on for several weeks. Because I can't find a domestic source for these parts (E-Flite ESC's are not reliable for me) I reluctanly go to Hobby King. It is coming up on the Christmas rush and it takes over 3 weeks instead of about 11 days.

However, this time the box comes in a Postal service "body bag". The clerk said to inspect it and contact the seller if there was a problem (false, you have to reject the package on the spot). I opened the body bag and the motor is smashed (out of round) and wont turn and the ESC has the big caps on the end crushed and ruptured and the motor "X" mount is twisted like a pretzel.

Even if I reject the package it is now Chinese New Year and I will never see the parts.

I go back to the Headsup RC page and low and behold they have the components now.

Murphie's law of online ordering: If you are really excited it won't come on time or it will be run over by a truck first.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Oh, my!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:50 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

that is sad ....

One thing I would do in that circumstance - get the Postal Clerk to sign a letter stating it was delivered in that state and package opened in his/her presence.

Rejecting un-opened package is as far as I know in most countries not the only possibility. Here in Latvia and I'm sure in UK - you can open package and inspect contents, but claim must be lodged immediately and with all original materials ...

I've had a little damage to items received but nothing to justify rejection - but yours is awful ! What the hell would have bent the metal mount and the rest ?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Yikes, That looked bad. Looked like a disgruntled USPS stepped on it. I've actually had very good luck ordering from the King(HK) despite listening to several horror stories. Trick is to never order something on backorder. Their packages arrive very well protected. I try to support my LHS as best as I can, especially when I don't want to wait 2 weeks. Their prices are not too bad but the selection is not always as good. -Hawk
Old 01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Need a replacement? PM Me your addy and I'll mail ya one.

J
Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

That's one problem with USPS. I've had a package damaged but left on my front door step. Since they consider that "delivered" it is not possible to reject the shipment. Avoid hobbyking around christmas and chinese new year as that seems to be when they simp on the packaging. In this case USPS screwed you by lying to you about accepting that package.

If they ever try and give you a package that you even suspect is damaged, reject acceptance so you can state it was not delivered and issue a chargeback.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 PM
dkrhardy

Also, if headsup shows out of stock, CALL THEM! They may be able to give you a good motor from another manufacturer, or recommend a good replacement. I wanted a XXX ESC and it was out of stock. They suggested a XYZ for about $2 more, and it was actually better anyway.

Jeeez, I sound like a headsup PR man today ... I am in no way affiliated with them!