spektrum telemetry modules - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

spektrum telemetry modules

Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM
cc83

Default spektrum telemetry modules

my wonderful finace just got me a Dx8, I want to get a telemetry module for it like the TM1000, here's my issue, I want it to be portable so I can move it from plane to plane, I also have quite a few orange RX receivers and ar600's, so the question is, do i have to plug the tm1000 into the receiver? or will it work with just the flight pack voltage, which is what I really care about. It seems that it transmits it's own signal to the tx. If i do need to connect it to a receiver how would I connect that to the receivers that lack a data port? alternatively if it just needs voltage to operate from the rx can i power it with it's own tiny battery?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM
NFA Fabrication

I also just got a DX8 and have it fully up and running with telemetry, but hadn't really considered what you are saying until now. The TM1000 has a data connection to the receiver, that also transmits the receivers signal strength from your controller. But other than that, I can't think of any other reason for any data connection between the two. I wonder if you just lose that one telemetry feature, or if it ceases to work at all? Curious to hear more info on this as well.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

While I haven't used the TM1000, I looked into it while helping a fellow club member installing his Dx8 in his plane. It looks like there's another binding process with the TM1000 and the rcvr together, so I have to wonder if you would have to re-bind it in each application. You can download it's manual at the Spektrum site and look into it further.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I just watched the video about the TM1000 on the Horizon website.

He specifically says it can be used with a AR 600 rx, he also says it can be used with any receiver (DSM2 obviously) you would plug into the bind port. On a higher level rx like my AR 7000 which has a data port, I believe you would get more information about the signal strength and misses and holds.

The TM1000 is a transmitter, so the DX-8 must have a receiver, I think that is the reason you must bind the TM1000 to the DX-8 (or maybe it binds the DX-8's rx to the TM1000's tx). I would not think you would have to do that for each model.

The TM1000 plugs into the rx to get power and whatever rx info it can,so I would suggest using a servo extension lead from your rx to make it easier to plug in the TM1000 in case your rx is buried deep inside the plane.

I would just call Horizon Hobby tech support, they can answer any questions, although I am sure they don't like the OrangeRx's
Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

It has to be bound with the receiver otherwise it will interfere with it. But it does not require a receiver to have a data port on it. I've used mine with AR6200's just fine.

Every time you move it from plane to plane you have to re-bind. but that's the least of the trouble compared to mounting the heat sensors and power sensors.

Now only if they would come out with an amps/watts sensor it would be perfect.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
Now only if they would come out with an amps/watts sensor it would be perfect.
And a GPS sensor... Think about it:

-Actual speed (In addition to airspeed)
-Altimeter options (May be a conflict of interests with their altimeter sensor sales)
-Distance from you as long as there was an option to get a base location before take-off
-And probably more stuff I can't think of!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Quandry

Originally Posted by cc83 View Post
my wonderful finace just got me a Dx8, I want to get a telemetry module for it like the TM1000, here's my issue, I want it to be portable so I can move it from plane to plane, I also have quite a few orange RX receivers and ar600's, so the question is, do i have to plug the tm1000 into the receiver? or will it work with just the flight pack voltage, which is what I really care about. It seems that it transmits it's own signal to the tx. If i do need to connect it to a receiver how would I connect that to the receivers that lack a data port? alternatively if it just needs voltage to operate from the rx can i power it with it's own tiny battery?
I just got a DX8 this week and it came with a TM1000. Very intriguing bit of kit!

The bind process is conducted at the same time as the RX binds. The TM1000 is plugged in to the data port on the RX and you bind it (and the RX) by clicking in a flush button on the TM1000 while turning on the transmitter and holding down the bind button all at the same time. I found that to be a bit clumsy for one person to do - it's easiest to have a spare set of hands.