Minor crash, major Lithium MELTDOWN! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Minor crash, major Lithium MELTDOWN!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 AM
jim2wright

Default Minor crash, major Lithium MELTDOWN!

So out today maidening a scratch built model. Took off fine, but needed a little back stick trim. After "rotation" it nosed down and cracked the firewall. I immediately pulled the throttle back and started the familiar walk of shame. All of a sudden hissing and billowing clouds of smoke. Popped the rubber bands off and threw the wing aside (to save it and it's two servos). Saw it was the battery and backed off to make sure I didn't get fragged or anything serious. It subsided and I waited a while before inspecting further. the center cell of a three cell 2200mhr pack apparently was pierced in the crash? The outer cells got hot but didn't seem to do anything dramatic. How should I dispose of these little toxic dangerous items? Motor, ESC, Receiver and everthing else was fine. slightly bent prop and the threaded spinner shaft is bent. Not too bad. Do you guys do any special isolation measures on your litium batteries? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

poke a hole in the remaining 2 cells and watch the burn,then throw away. or completly discharge and toss away.

i love posting this picture everytime some asks this question
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 140.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	157733   Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer,aerocraft 141.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	157734   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-100419-volcano-Sigurdsson_ss_full.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	157735  
Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Before flying your scratch built plane again I would strongly suggest you correct what ever is protruding into the battery area so that the puncturing of another cell doesn't happen again. It is more than likely to be a motor mount screw or the motor shaft itself causing the problem for your battery.

Make sure the culprit is repaired (fixed, shortened or a barrier placed in between).

Hillbille
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
i love posting this picture everytime some asks this question
Hmmm.. While not wanting to play down the very real potential hazard posed by LiPos there is a world of difference between a battery (that has been deliberately abused to cause failure) throwing out a bit of white smoke (note no visible flame) and a volcano I donít think ridiculous exaggeration helps the case.

Steve
Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Hmmm.. While not wanting to play down the very real potential hazard posed by LiPos there is a world of difference between a battery (that has been deliberately abused to cause failure) throwing out a bit of white smoke (note no visible flame) and a volcano I donít think ridiculous exaggeration helps the case.

Steve
No. But it's still funny!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:36 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I agree with Stuart. Puncture the last two cells and toss the pack. Stay out of the smoke though.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:23 PM
dkrhardy

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
No. But it's still funny!

Yes it is.
Don
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 AM
mred
Super Contributor

After you finish watching the battery smoke, put it in water for awhile and let it sit, then chuck it in the garbage. You REALLY don't want to breath that smoke either.

As for the picture of that volcano, I think it is fantastic. Not often you see a great picture like that.

Ed
Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Until I saw the lightning I was ready to buy it! Great job!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I don't think you need to poke it. I would discharge the two remaining cells individually through the balance tap. These batteries don't actually contain any nasty compounds. Unlike NiCad/NiMh. They can be safely tossed in the garbage once discharged.

The smoke they let out when burning IS VERY TOXIC though. the chemical reaction that happens creates the toxic smoke.