A fool and his money....... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

A fool and his money.......

Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 PM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Default A fool and his money.......

Well, I finally did it. I ordered my first foamy/trainer. PZ BNF UM T-28 and WAAAAYYYY too much radio. A DX8. I hope the radio will last me a long while as I get back into this hobby with a plans built micro p-51 on the workbench and a plans built Storch next in line.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
NFA Fabrication

I recently got into planes as well with the purchase of an E-Flight Apprentice, and also purchased a DX8. I am very happy with it, and after having the Apprentice for a month and knowing that I am going to be in this for the long haul, I chose to get the DX8. Check out my "Official DX8" thread, and ask any ?'s you have there about your new radio.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65746
Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

LOL. That thread is what convinced me to go with the DX8. I am looking forward to filling up the model memory with projects.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

You can NEVER have too much radio!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 PM
fmw

The radio is far more important than the models. I think you did fine.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Originally Posted by newjak View Post
You can NEVER have too much radio!
Or too many. LOL
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 AM
dkrhardy

Good job, radio is very important!
Don
Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

+1 on never too much and too many! lol got a dsx7 over a year ago....shoulda bought at least an 9channel.....doesnt sound like your foolish after all does it!! lol, but yeah it does make your wallet fly away too!!

cr
Old 03-23-2012, 02:10 AM
mred
Super Contributor

You may have more radio then you need for that plane you are build now, but just think of the planes down the road that you will be build. I started with a JR 8103 and then a 9303 shortly after, both used. Then when I made up my mind as to the radio I really wanted, I got the SD-10G and haven't looked back. I got back into the hobby shortly before they came out with the 2.4 radios other then park flyers and get a 72 radio instead, but when 2.4 came out I started looking for one, but couldn't make up my mind. Finally settled on the Airtronics set and am very happy with it. Just goes to show you that buying a big radio to start off with is not a bad move. Knowing you will be happy with it down the road is much better then buying more then one radio like I did. I got some good deals on my used radios, so I can't complain to much. I got the 10 channel on sale too, so all in all, I have a great setup now.

Ed
Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I always figured it this way;

You can fly a cheap or poor airplane, with an expensive radio system.

BUT

You can't fly an expensive plane, with a cheap or poor radio system, (at least not very long)

I have always tried to buy the best, I have never regretted buying good tools. But I have regretted buying some cheap tools that didn't make it through the first job.

Our radio systems are really just tools to help us fly the planes the way we want to. A poor grade radio, may not have the fine control to handle a cross wind landing.

DX8 = good choice
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Oddly enough, with a fair number of RC models back of me, I've got a Futaba 6 channel and a Spektrum 7 channel - the last one, not the new version consumers are being told to buy. Both makes offer good reliability - though it didn't cost me anything, I know how good cheap rip-offs from you-know-where can be. The one I got to play with ended up in the rubbish bin...

Both of my pretty basic radios do me fine, for the models I have. As I have a custom design/build service that knows exactly what I want, what RC gear and motor I'll be using and how I fly, they are both fine.

What does amaze me - though perhaps not, given that 'consumers' are there to be constantly sold 'products' - is why modern 2.4 gear is still sold with nicad batteries. By now, lipos are about as New! and Exciting! as cornflakes and should be driving all trannies, just as they drive cellphones, iSpend stuff, GPS, laptops and you name it.

My Futaba gear is great in use, but the 700mA nicad it came with offered dismally poor run time. Now it has a 2000mA NiMh - annoying but soldering up a new pack is not that hard
Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 PM
NFA Fabrication

I will never get used to people abbreviating Transmitters as "Trannies".
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Dereck,

I don't think anybody is shipping NiCad anymore, but they are using NiMh which still has some advantages over lipo for transmitters:

1) Low Self Discharge NiMh (Sanyo Eneloops, Rayvac ready to use, and duricel precharged) Can stay charged for months so no more "crap my TX is dead" stories.
2) Very little chance of explosions. Lipo is still an inherently more unstable chemistry. and weight in TX's isn't a huge issue.
3) Accidental discharge doesn't destroy NiMh. This could be gotten around with charge protection circuitry, but if you leave a NiMh TX on all day you don't have to replace the battery.

I've got Sanyo Eneloops in both my DX6i and my DX8 and I can go all summer with only 1 or two charges. that's a LOT of flying.

Also, i've replaced the pre-built pack in my DX8 with a radio shack 4 AA holder. That way I can keep 4 cheap AA batteries in my flight box just in case my TX goes dead.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 PM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Thanks guys, it is nice to know that the effort I am putting into this isn't wasted. My toys finally arrived last friday (Mar 23rd) and I finally got some air time sunday morning. There was a little too much wind, but with a 2 yr old at home I take what flying time I can get. No real damage from 4 crashes and one landing. The one and only true landing was dead stick when the batt died. Flying into the wind was tough when the aircraft made little to no forward progress, and even worse when trying to fly it back twards me into the wind after a down wind leg, with controls reversed.
First flight was alot of basically uncontrolled loops, I added 50% down trim on the elevator after the first crash. Second crash broke the left gear off. I removed the other gear and it was like flight one all over again. I maxed out the evevator down trim and made sure the batt was as far forward as possible. Flight was OK, still needed a little down elevator when flying into the wind.
I was impressed with the durability of the plane, the nose is a little beat up and I gorilla glued the landing gear mount back on. I am looking forward to the next flight.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
NFA Fabrication

Having to max out any trims, is not good. You may have to spend a little more time on setting up the plane at home. You should really only having to trim out minor corrections. I understand having a hard time getting some flying time in, so you have to do what you have to do sometimes!