Super Cub DSM brushless? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Super Cub DSM brushless?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Raistlin

Default Super Cub DSM brushless?

I have a BNF Super Cub DSM and was thinking of going brushless...Why could i not just plug a BL esc (i already have a hobbywing 40a esc) into the stock esc/Rx at the THO port so that i don't have to upgrade the Rx? Would this work?

(Of course i would unplug and remove the existing motor)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 PM
NFA Fabrication

Your motor and ESC just have to be suitable for each other, as well as suitable for your plane. Has someone told you otherwise?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Raistlin

As far as the motor... i was told that the E-flite's BL 480 would work (under 1100kv). As far as the motor mount hobbyzone makes a brushless mount (which eliminates the gear box) to fit E-Flite's 400, 450, and 480 motor. The 480 motor's amp rate is 25a burst... so the 40a esc should be more than enough for the motor. I was just wondering if i really had to replace the Rx because the stock esc and Rx are made into the same single unit.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 PM
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
I was just wondering if i really had to replace the Rx because the stock esc and Rx are made into the same single unit.
Ahhh, yeah, that makes more sense. Just buy a Hobby King orange RX and replace that unit entirely along with your 40A ESC. Only $5.99 + Shipping.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Sat_Port_.html

You said you were DSM, so that should work. What controller are you using?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Raistlin

DX6i... I really didnt want to replace the Rx. I dont have a local hobby store near my location and i really dont want to put more money into it if i dont have too... Im cheap.
Thanks for the reply
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
DX6i... I really didnt want to replace the Rx. I dont have a local hobby store near my location and i really dont want to put more money into it if i dont have too... Im cheap.
Thanks for the reply
If $6 plus shipping is gonna take you down, you are in the wrong hobby. You are going to have to stick with brushed if you don't want to replace the ESC/Receiver combo. I avoid all planes that have "combo units" for this very reason.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I just finished the BL mod to "ole Nellie" my endeared SC/LP. Used the Emax 480(2220/10) with a Hurc 40amp esc from Headsuprc. Their machined aluminum motor mount is a direct fit for the SC.Though I buy alot of stuff from HK, Man, their service cannot be beat. While I was at it, I cut ailerons, something I've been meaning to do for a long time. The only mod remaining is the battery box.

I'm a futaba guy(yes,a dying breed) and my 6EX only stores 6 planes. Since I had already dropped the Cub(sorry honey), I'm recycling an Airfield TX and RX that I got with a RTF last year but never used. Added some funky covering (colored packing tape) and have the floats ready for our float-fly in June. Ready to fly the friendly skies again. One thing that says "gotcha" is that you can't use the old 9x9 HZ props with the short shaft and collet type adaptor that comes with the BL motor. Plus, with the added power, I'm going with an APC 10x5e and a 10x7e. Should get over 30oz of thrust which will should exceed a 1:1 desired ratio.

Now I'm looking to build something where I can recycle the HZ brushed can motor and esc. I heard the brushed turnigy 30amp esc works great when you want to add lights.

Long live the Super Cub !

Hawk
Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well I cant say anymore that has not already been said. However I highly reccomend the moint from Heads up rc that the Dahawk mentioned and I would recommend a better 40 amp ESC not the 5.99 from HK, ask me how I know...I would recomend 1 40a ESC from head up as well. I also used the E-flte 480 with the mount and 40a ESC from Heads up rc and flyies like a champ for a reasonable price. Cut ailerons into the wing and you have a whole new plane. Gotta love a SC
Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Hey Fish, Check out the Stinger thread. I just recommended that the guy reach out to you for advice on the Stinger !

I'll get some pics of the SC this week. You'll laugh ! Polishing off the Sea Dart as well. Then it's time to fly !

-Hawk
Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Shaweet hawk I am eager to fly my SC from the water this sumer as well. Should be a neat challenge. I also replied to the Stinger guy as well but I saw his post at work and noticed he had only one post and a member since 2008. may mean nothing but thought it odd anyway
Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
NFA Fabrication

Has anyone that posted in this thread actually read what the OP was asking? LOL!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Raistlin

I took the time last night and plugged the new esc (hw-40a) into the THO port on the stock esc. I plugged my old Belt-CP (heli) motor into the new esc and powered up... It seemed to work. I am a little worried about battery drain. Will the stock esc and the new esc drain the battery more, and by how much, even though the stock esc is not plugged into a motor?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

This is probably a lot like using a UBEC instead of an ESC that already has a BEC built in.
You can't remove the BEC so you disable it by pulling the red (hot) wire and using the power from the UBEC. The original BEC is still there but not doing anything. There could be some power from conversion but in the scheme of things it would be quite trivial.

This seems like an idea that has merit. The original RX/ESC worked. The most troublesome part of that 'brick' was the lousy ESC/BEC part. So....just defeat it and use the RX.

I'd give it a go. You have a bench test that's valid proving the concept.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

You should just be able to stop using the existing battery port, plug the new ESC into the Throttle port on the super cub's black box, and hook up the motor to the and battery to the new ESC.

The new ESC will power the internal existing receiver and servos and the old in-built ESC and BEC will be unused.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Raistlin

That is correct... I plug the battery to the "new" esc and not the stock battery port. I am waiting on the E-Flite 480 motor to do a flight test. The belt cp motor is impossible to attach correctly to the plane so I can’t use it for a flight test. I will report back after i get the new motor and do a flight test.

Thanks for all the help

Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 PM
NFA Fabrication

I kind of want to see a pic of this 2 in 1 unit now. Others I have seen had no provisions for plugging in bonus stuff. I have typically just seen a circuit board with battery, motor, and servo connections depending on model.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

The 2 in 1 unit for the newer DSM super cub is really just an AR600 de-gloved and stuffed into a little back box with the existing ACT and brushed ESC. The rudder is by default connected to the AIL spot on the receiver but there are open channels for throttle, rudder and even AUX1 if I remember correctly.

Channels 5 (gear) is connected to the X-port system.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 AM
NFA Fabrication

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
The 2 in 1 unit for the newer DSM super cub is really just an AR600 de-gloved and stuffed into a little back box with the existing ACT and brushed ESC. The rudder is by default connected to the AIL spot on the receiver but there are open channels for throttle, rudder and even AUX1 if I remember correctly.

Channels 5 (gear) is connected to the X-port system.
Ahhh. The AR600 is good receiver. If that's all it is, just plug in the new ESC and call it a day. And do yourself a favor and pick up a couple aileron servo's and mod those in as well. This makes the SC a much better value in my eyes now knowing this.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Raistlin

Just an update on this... The install worked flawlessly... and with a 10x8 prop she can now climb vertical.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Here's my modded-out to the hilt Susan G. Komen Fly for the Cure "Babe Magnet" SC ready for the June Float fly:

2.4mhz
Recycled Airfield TX/RX( my futaba 6ex only has 6 plane memory)
Ailerons
Battery compartment for 11.1v 2200mah 3S
Emax 480 brushless w/ 40 amp Hurc esc
10 x 7 prop
HZ float kit
[media]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1430/hzscsusang.jpg[/media]