Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-19-2007, 02:17 AM   #26
Carjacker
The Doctor is in.

Club: I guess Wattflyer.
Friends: (0)
Smile

Could you get us a vid or pics of it flying?

Remember that creepy neighbor down the road? Yeah? Me too..... LOL
Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #27
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

Nice work Chellie. I'm glad you had such a great time flyin' it.
Sorry about those links I got for you. I went back to them last night from that post and they did not work.. I believe they worked when I first posted them..

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:20 AM   #28
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,261 Times in 2,160 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (327)

Hi Carjacker , Hi Bruce I am looking into getting a digital video, audio camera, Kosh gave me a good suggestion on a camera with a 12X zoom, so it will be soon on the videos, No Problem Bruce on the links, some times they work and some times they dont It flew great, its a little diffrent than a regular plane, but I caught on fast, had about 10 mph wind today, but i flew it anyway, it cuts through the wind very well, except when you turn agains it, then it wants to move you around a little, i figured that was going to happen, but I flew it anyway, I have been known to fly in a strong wind, and reduce throttle, and fly backwards
and land like a helicopter, I have been told, your not suppose to be able to do that, anyway it was a blast to fly & videos are comming soon, Chellie
Old 02-19-2007, 04:53 AM   #29
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

You did a great job on that plane chellie.
Do you have plans? because there is one huge sheet of 3mm depron at the aeromodeling club at school thats just begginng to fly

Good job with the maiden

Diagnosed with: RC Mania
Current plane: ElectrafunXP
Enjoy your breakfast
Old 02-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #30
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Hi Spitace I just built it from pictures, I think I gave enough info in the build thread, so that anyone can make it, look at the pictures, I gave lengths to every thing, If you are going to make one, and have any questions, please ask, thank you for the complements, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #31
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

Okay chellie, i may just try build one, does anyone know a good inch to millimeter converter, cause 21" means nothing to me

Enjoy your breakfast
Old 02-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #32
Kosh
Super Contributor

View Kosh's Gallery82
Club: NWEF.ORG
Send a message via Yahoo to Kosh
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 
Friends: (31)

This should help with most of your conversion needs. The numbers dont need to be the same for this and only close to make it work.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/help/convcalcs.html

Wattflyer, Where your friends are.

http://www.youtube.com/SeattleKosh
Old 02-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #33
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Spitace here is some info that I gave to Airhead for a inexpensive power system, that works great with small foamys.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16361

take care, Chellie
Old 02-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #34
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

Thanks kosh, that looks good, athough i was looking for a download.
i found 1 that works well that i have now.
i will take those pictures on friday to my aeromodeling teacher and see what he thinks of them, its either that or the STC.

Thanks

Enjoy your breakfast
Old 02-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #35
spitace
Sailor 4 Life

And thanks chellie for the link but seing as i am not in the US most of the stuff you guys use is unavaliable.
I did find a realy cheap outrunner moter for 15 AU.
Its on www.whatsuprc.com.au

Enjoy your breakfast
Old 02-22-2007, 04:06 AM   #36
JoeBruce

Hi Chellie,

I like the idea of an easy foamie like this for my first build (and second plane), but I'm concerned about the "must land with power" and "doesn't glide well" comments.

I noted from the picture and your list that the equipment you used is fairly heavy. Would it glide better with lighter equipment? For example, I'm thinking about the Rx and 7g S75 servos that come with a DX6, and perhaps a lighter battery. I love the delta, and the build is easy (e.g., compared to an STC, which still isn't difficult by a long shot), but I'd prefer a slow flyer with some glide due to my inexperience. I don't mind speeding up, but I don't want one that drops from the sky when I throttle down!

Great job, and thanks for sharing all your builds! Great info.

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-22-2007, 04:16 AM   #37
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by JoeBruce View Post
Hi Chellie,

I like the idea of an easy foamie like this for my first build (and second plane), but I'm concerned about the "must land with power" and "doesn't glide well" comments.

I noted from the picture and your list that the equipment you used is fairly heavy. Would it glide better with lighter equipment? For example, I'm thinking about the Rx and 7g S75 servos that come with a DX6, and perhaps a lighter battery. I love the delta, and the build is easy (e.g., compared to an STC, which still isn't difficult by a long shot), but I'd prefer a slow flyer with some glide due to my inexperience. I don't mind speeding up, but I don't want one that drops from the sky when I throttle down!

Great job, and thanks for sharing all your builds! Great info.
Hi Joe, that was on my maiden flight, what i noticed, I moved the CG a little further up and that took care of the proplem on the second flight, glides great and power not needed to land, i need to post that for others, I flew it again today, and its SWEET SWEET SWEET, ck out Susans & Koshes video, they built the same delta, your very welcome, I enjoy sharing, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16398
Old 02-22-2007, 04:27 AM   #38
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Everyone on my second flight I moved the CG up a little, moved the lipo about 1/2" forward, and that took care of the glide problem, no need to land with power now, unless its windy out I flew it again today and its SWEET SWEET SWEET, best flying foamy I have, very stable, and fast, Quick roll rate too, and it only has a little 2408-21 towerpro outrunner,with a 6x6 prop, a 7x6 cut down, I bought it at Heads up Rc , on E Bay for only $12.00 cheap like me, it will do approx 50 to 60 mph with a 6X6 prop, if you want more speed try a 2409-12 towerpro outrunner $18.00 its a 2408-21 with a turbo maybe 60 to 70 mph, here is heads up rc link if anyone is interested, Take care, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/2408-21-Outrunne...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-22-2007, 04:29 AM   #39
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

by the way Joe , we are Neighbors, Hi Neighbor i live in Azusa, calif. take care, Chellie

ps. this delta wing has 400 square inches of wing, using heaver servos, lipos wont hurt it at all, my maiden problem was CG location,
Old 02-22-2007, 04:37 AM   #40
JoeBruce

Yeah, I noticed you were in "so calif". I wondered where... I drove past Azusa several times when I was deciding whether living in Irvine and working in Pasadena was crazy (which I deemed it to be due to the traffic).

Thanks for the clarification - I was eyeing up the foam board in Target last night, but resisted the temptation (mainly because then I'll "have to" buy all the gear - motor, ESC, DX6 w/ Rx & servos).

Given that the fastest thing I've flown is the Challenger, will this be too much for me? I assume that since it'll slow down, I can kinda "grow into" the plane as my abilities improve. I still have to "grow into" the Challenger first, but... I'm glad such cheap gear can power the plane, but I'd rather not have to buy motor after motor - not to mention props - from Jeff because I can't handle the speed!

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-22-2007, 04:50 AM   #41
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Joe, I work in pasadena too you just need 2 servos if you go mixing like i did, and that 2408-21 motor is real nice, most of the electronic you can get from jeff at heads up rc, he has the best prices around, he just got in some easy servo arm adjusting connectors, they are NICE, here is his link. start with a 2408-21 and a 8x4 prop, it wont be that fast, but fun, then later a 6x6 prop, since you have flown RC, you should not have to much trouble with this plane, if any, it hand launches easy, very predictiable, jeff has some prop savers to, that hold the prop on with a rubber o ring, just cut the excess of the shaft off, that will keep the shaft from bending, or you can get the motor and prop saver already installed for $12.99 from GIT, I am going to make some more of them, I might have to review my build take care, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/SERVO-ARM-EASY-C...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/pC/2...s-out-runn.asp
Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 AM   #42
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default Delta Wing Video

Originally Posted by Carjacker View Post
Could you get us a vid or pics of it flying?

Hi Carjacker Susan & Kosh made the same delta wing, and they made a video of it, here it is, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16398
Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 AM   #43
JoeBruce

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Joe, I work in pasadena too
I work from home in Irvine -- decided a couple years ago that Irvine to Pasadena was too long (except at 4:30AM, and then afternoon jam on the 210 would get me). Zero commute is much better than 55-90+ minutes one way.

I am going to make some more of them, I might have to review my build take care, Chellie
Thanks for the motor info and links -- I like the cheap route, as it makes it much easier to "get permission" from my wife. I have a couple noob questions on the build, though:
  1. The servo horn adjusters I understand -- gives you some flexibility in positioning. It looks like you have two controls rods stuck together - is this the thread + CA trick?
  2. Where should the CG be? Given my limited experience, I would rather skip what might be a crash due to a "bad" CG.
Thanks again for the great info. If I ever get the time to build one, maybe I'll take lots of pictures and write up a build guide like the excellent one that WaterDog did for the STC.

BTW, you'll love the S3IS. I've had an S2IS for a while now, and it is really sweet for both stills and video. Very nice camera - you will be pleased! With a 2GB SD card (I have two 133x - darn expensive - high-speed cards), you can shoot video for 10 minutes at highest quality, and fit two such videos on each card. I would put the video quality on par with our old Digital-8 camcorder (which was the point of getting it -- replaced two bigger cameras with one fairly compact one, given the giant 12x w/ optical image stabilization).

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-22-2007, 05:20 AM   #44
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Great, I think I will love that camera too, on the links, i used steel rod that is z bent on one side, and exopy and heat shrink tubing, I glue the rod and carbon fiber rod, then slide the heat shrink tubeing over it and heat it up, works great, i over lap the carbon rod & steel rod 1" on the CG, i started with 6" from the front of the nose of the plane not the motor, some people are having good luck with up to 9" CG , I got it close the first time I use a T pin and a short piece of string to check the CG, and I just leave the T pin and string on the plane to check the CG with other lipos, take care, Chellie
Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #45
JoeBruce

Thanks for the info, Chellie. I thought it might've been heat shrink tubing, but I couldn't tell from the pics...

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #46
dekan
dekan

Friends: (1)

what the wing span of the delta? i figure it's the width of the foam board 20" right.... Very neat simple design may try 6mm depron instead of foam board.
As I have no foam....LOL
Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #47
JoeBruce

jeff has some prop savers to, that hold the prop on with a rubber o ring, just cut the excess of the shaft off, that will keep the shaft from bending, or you can get the motor and prop saver already installed for $12.99 from GIT, I am going to make some more of them, I might have to review my build
Another question, CHELLIE (perhaps you know). The GITech PS modded version of the 2408-2 comes with a "firewall mount" instead of a stick mount. Given that the SQD uses a stick mount, would I be better off getting the BL motor from Heads Up RC and doing the PS mod myself?

Thanks! Putting together my parts list...

EDIT: Another "stupid" newbie question: If I used a 2410-08 with a GWS 1047 prop, that would yield 23 oz of thrust and a 27 mph pitch speed. Would that simply lower my top speed? This question is more to get myself educated than to mess with the parts you've suggested... If I have a 47mph pitch speed with your suggested combo, I can just throttle down to slow down (please correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT #2: Yet another stupid question: You used 9g servos. Are they necessary for the torque, or would a 5g (SG50) or 7.5g (S75) work okay? I wouldn't want to buy a servo (or use the ones that come w/ a DX6) and find out that they don't have enough torque to pull out of a maneuver...

Joe - AMA # 875529
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #48
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Joe , That will work, using the motor from heads up rc, I think it comes with a stick mount also, i use 9 gram servos in everthing, that is just my servo of choice, I think that 5 g or 7 gr servos, should be ok, yes you can throttle down too, with a more pitch prop, the 2410-08 motor is better for something like a SlowStick, its a slower rpm, more torque, to handel a larger prop, the 2408-21 would be the best for this delta, with a 8x4 prop and then a 6x6 prop after you get more comfortable with it, take care, Chellie
Old 02-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #49
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dekan View Post
what the wing span of the delta? i figure it's the width of the foam board 20" right.... Very neat simple design may try 6mm depron instead of foam board.
As I have no foam....LOL
Hi Dekan , yes the wing span is 20" , you will have a blast with this delta, it flies Sweet & fast, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #50
dekan
dekan

Friends: (1)

Thanks, whats the slow speed handling like. Doe's it have the rocking motion I have seen in other Deltas?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings

Tags
build , delta , quick , scratch , super