Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #26
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Friends: (1)

I finally got a Blue Ray together tonight. Hope to maiden it tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Am charging my 2S packs tonight to see if any are still strong enough to use with this plane. They are all rather old, so I may well need two new packs before the racing begins.

Empty weight: 9.56 ounces, so meeting the planned minimum weight limit should be no problemo!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue_Ray_1a.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	59687  
Old 03-16-2008, 02:57 AM   #27
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

Jim,
you've done a fine job of keeping everyone informed about whats goin' on in North Alabama with the Bllue Ray pylon racing planes. thanks from everyone here.
you aircraft looks really good and ready for your maiden. Where are you going to fly tomorrow?
anywoo, have a good flight.. Talk with you soon..

PS. Are you a member of NARCA now?

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #28
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Thanks, Bruce!

Yes I joined NARCA so I could go to Epps Field any time I wanted to go fly my Blue Ray with or without the other guys there. Otherwise I'd have been limited to 3 total visitor flying visits to the field, plus of course any public events. Spectators are always welcome there when the field is unlocked and someone is flying!

Tim Batt is going out around 1:00 today to video his BR in flight. Not sure I'll make it out quite that early, what with church and lunch and such. But I'll be there as soon as I can be.

I am looking forward to seeing more and more Blue Rays flying, especially as we get closer to the RCRC Electric Fun Fly April 26, closely followed by the May 10 first BR races at Epps Field.

Jim

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Jim,
you've done a fine job of keeping everyone informed about whats goin' on in North Alabama with the Bllue Ray pylon racing planes. thanks from everyone here.
you aircraft looks really good and ready for your maiden. Where are you going to fly tomorrow?
anywoo, have a good flight.. Talk with you soon..

PS. Are you a member of NARCA now?
Old 03-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #29
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Short Blue Ray Maiden

My maiden BR flight was short, slow, and bent the motor shaft and ripped the front off the fuselage. It's fixed and reinforced now, ready for re-maiden.

I added some triangular balsa gussets inside the first inch of the fuselage and narrow strips of fibreglass self-adhesive tape around the firewall, along the fuselage, and around the fuselage to hold it together without adding too much weight. I'm going to a lower-pitch prop to lighten the load on my tired old LiPos. No need for blinding speed on a maiden!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	after_maiden.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	60522   Click image for larger version

Name:	ready_to_try_again_.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	60523  
Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #30
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Where are the Blue Rays?

Since we posted the plans here for free download, we don't know who has downloaded them and is building Blue Rays.

But we are aware, besides those in double-digit quantities being built and in single digits already being flown in the Huntsville, Alabama area:

1 in Arlington Texas,

2 in the Nashville, Tennessee area, and

1 in Bellfast, North Ireland.

If you are building and/or have flown your Blue Ray, we'd love to hear where you are and how you are doing with it.

Jim
Old 03-26-2008, 02:26 AM   #31
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Re-maidened my Blue Ray successfully today. Really glad to be past some of the technical difficulties I was having.

It's a real handful!

Jim
Old 03-30-2008, 03:55 AM   #32
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default I'm Hooked on the Blue Ray!

The several planets finally alligned today and I had my Blue Ray flying rather well, IMHO. No witnesses at the Intergraph Grassy Knoll, but I had a blast flying it around my nerfy pylons spaced 150 feet apart with 2S and then with 3S power under much better control and faster and quicker than I had imagined possible for me.

I have a long way to go, obviously, till I can race with the specified racing prop and with the other pilots in the air, but I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere, going sorta fast, and turning left (or actually, Figure-8s are Fun!)! That's a very exhilirating feeling. I now understand much better the need for speed! I definitely feel hooked on the Blue Ray and in electric pylon racing in general!

Jim
Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 AM   #33
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Just now I took down the on-line plans .PDF at Tim's request. He wants to know who and where in the world Blue Rays are being built and raced. Makes a lot of sense to me!

I hear that he gets 1-2 plans requests a day. Amazing!

Jim
Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #34
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default We have portable pylons!

I heard from Tim this afternoon that he got the PVC pipe and hardware and cut and drilled and assembled and .... we have portable pylons for the races at RCRC and at Epps Field!

They are about 15ft tall, and will grow about three feet more when we put the fiberglass pole on top with a flag.

A major step forward! I cannot wait to have them set up and to go fly around them, perchance to race!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pylon1.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	62654  
Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #35
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

I just updated the Blue Ray Rules from Tim Batt. See Post #2.

Sunday we tried the new portable pylons at Epps Field in 25 mph winds. What winds?? We did not even stake the pylons down.

Also, here is the flyer for our race #1. I looked around quite a bit looking for other sample race flyers, but I found few. So I thought some might find it interesting to see our flyer.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Two_pylons_up.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	62967   Click image for larger version

Name:	blue_ray_race_flyer.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	62981  
Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #36
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Hey Mister, Is that a Blue Ray? - and you must be Jim!

I was remaidening my Blue Ray today at the Parade Grounds when a pair of probably Green-Suiters quietly came up behind me from the nearby Fitness Center. One asked, "Mister, is that a Blue Ray?"

I knew right then that the Blue Rays had achieved instant worldwide recognition!

Then when he said, "And you must be Jim", I knew he had seen this or a similar thread.

Yep. Just as soon as we get his email address, I'll send him out the free plans.

World Famous Jim, or not!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #37
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Free Pylon Racing Clinic at the RCRC Electric Fun Fly Sat Apr 26

Late yesterday I heard from Doug Bebensee. He's a pylon racer in several classes, including Blue Ray! I've pasted his email verbatum below. Tim has OKed this, so it's a GO! The RCRC Electric Fun fly in Huntsville, Alabama, is free to spectators. Blue Ray registration is scheduled for 12 Noon, so I"m guessing Doug will start 10:30 or so. We won't know exactly, of course, till he gets here. Come on out and enjoy seeing the electric R/C flying in general and this free clinic followed by Blue Ray pylon racing!

To fly, you need AMA and a $20 landing fee. See: http://www.rocketcityrc.com/events/2...ricFunFly.html for more fun fly details.

Jim

I have hosted two pylon clinics in the Nashville area lately in preparation for our first ever Club 40 race we just had last Saturday. I have a bunch of ideas that would be invaluable to a new-to-pylon person. These ideas would translate well to the BR racing you have planned. I would be willing to provide this for you maybe Saturday morning at the fun fly if you'd like. I plan to get there mid-morning or so. If you want to do this then let me know and I'll be prepared to give a "chalk talk" and demo various principles in the air. Then we can race.

Topics I could cover:

- trimming and control throws

- flying techniques to hone

- flying techniques to avoid

- attitudes and expectations

- winning strategies

- losing strategies

- relaxation techniques

- etc.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Doug_100_3292.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	63598  
Old 04-27-2008, 02:17 AM   #38
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Pylon Racing Clinic and first Blue Ray Heat Races today!

We had Doug's Pylon Racing Clinic and our very first Blue Ray Electric Pylon Heat Races today at the RCRC Electric Fun-Fly in Huntsville, AL.

The clinic was very helpful and taught me a bunch of stuff I'd never have figured out on my own. Thanks so much, Doug.

The heat racing brought out 7 Blue Ray pilots, 6 of whom actually raced today. In fact all 6 were in one heat several times. We ran both 2S and then 3S packs. Boy the BR is fast on 3S!

Fun, and amazing little carnage! I think some of the stuff Doug covered in his clinic helped immediately.

We had one midair at launch. Ernie's BR came out of nowhere and brought mine down. Or was it the other way around? Anyway, his aileron and linkage was damaged beyond flying. Mine seemed OK, but it did not fly right. I could see a major break at the rear fuselage doubler after the heat ended. A "rubber" pylon racer is not a fast, crisp, happy pylon racer!

Tony managed to hit the rightmost pylon practicing after the heat racing was completed. Atta Boy Tony! As someone pointed out, it would probably have been nearly impossible to hit the pylon if you tried!

Thanks to all who came, who flew, who helped officiate, and who spectated!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	first_blue_ray_heats_pilots_.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	63891  
Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #39
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Pylon racers are surprisingly quiet folk

With less than a week to go till the first official Blue Ray Electric Pylon Race May 10 at NARCA Epps Field in Harvest, AL, I've been a little surprised how little we've heard from the potential contestants.

I'm told that pylon racers are a tiny percentage of the R/C pilots population. Also that they tend toward doing rather than talking about it, before or after. That seems to be true!

I see in this thread a lot of hits, but few posts, and almost no photos shared by other Blue Ray pilots. I'm learning that's the way it is and not to be surprised.

Time to get ready for that first real race and look neither left nor right till then.

Jim
Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #40
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default From the first Blue Ray Pylon race at NARCA

Tim Batt shared the following from the first Blue Ray race held Saturday May 10 at NARCA Epps Field, Harvest Alabama:

BR scoring makes for very close racing!

In our first BR race Tim Batt finished first with a total of 68 points. Doug Bebensee finished second with 66 points. Ernie Duffey finished third with 58 points, and Archie Phillips came in fourth with 56 points. This was Archie's first race, and he finished only 12 points behind the leader after 8 heat races. Great job Archie!

What keeps the scoring close is that we award points only for the number of completed laps. This leads to ties which often brings the rear of the pack up in points. It works!

Doug became the cut king with the highest number of cuts. He kept saying that if you don't make a cut, you don't know where the pylon is. Well I sure found out where they are! I nailed one dead center! (I'm not going to tell you about the fact that Doug kept telling us to NOT HIT THE PYLONS!). I'm the third pilot to have this honor. The first was Ernie during a practice session, and then Tony Coberly after the RCRC race while hot dogging.

During the course of the race, Archie and I were the only ones to crash. Archie's plane started having problems after lunch when we did a 3 cell race just for exhibition (no points). We wanted to show every one what the upper racing class would look like. Archie's radio started having problems and caused a minor crash. Some CA took care of the repair.

Oh, one other "crash" occurred. Ernie's plane managed to hit Archie's plane after Archie had safely landed. Ernie's plane struck the tail of Archie's plane and destroyed the vertical fin. About five minutes later, and some hot glue this time, Archie was ready to go again.

I am going to declare the first race a success, not because I won, but because we all had a great time. During the last heat we were cracking up and laughing so hard we could barely fly. I can hardly wait till the next race!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	first_race_pilots_and_workers.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	65878   Click image for larger version

Name:	dead_blue_ray.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	65879  
Old 05-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #41
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default It would be nice to hear/see from some other BR pilots

With a lot of Blue Ray plans sent out around Alabama, the US, and the world for several months now, it would be nice to hear/see from some other Blue Ray pilots.

The attendees of the first NARCA Blue Ray pylon race May 10 had a ball. The race procedures Tim Batt came up with and shared worked just great requiring a minimum of officials (just 3).

I'm momentarily Blue Ray-less. Last weekend on my second flight of the day I had an unexpected slightly rough landing. Not sure, perhaps a bug bit me!

Anyway, it looked bad from across the field and even worse in person. The fuselage was ripped into three sections, a total loss. But the sturdy wing was still just fine. I've come to realize from this and from earlier flights that the front 1/3 of the fuselage is the Blue Ray's Achilles Heel. Or you could say, "Fortunately, the front third of the fuselage absorbed all the energy!"

So I won't spend too much time next time around on the fuselage. Just slap it and several spares together and plan for them to be expendable items.

The next NARCA BR race will be July 26, the Firecracker 4-Minute. 2S and 3S classes. A bunch of normal 2-minute heat races leading up to a 4-minute Final in both classes. Draft logo attached in case you have any suggestions.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blue_ray_2_rip_.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	66326   Click image for larger version

Name:	firecracker_4_minute.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	66332  
Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #42
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Firecracker 4-Minute July 26

We got the Firecracker 4-Minute flyer put together.

This will be our first race with both 2S and 3S classes. The same plane can be used in both classes if you like. It should be a blast!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	firecracker_4_minute_race_flyer.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	67127  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf firecracker_4_minute_race_flyer.pdf (150.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #43
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Update on the Firecracker 4-Minute - adding Run-What-Ya-Brung!

I just got the following update from Tim Batt about the Firecracker 4-minute.

Jim

-----

Guys,

Now is the time to get your repairs done or to get ready for the NARCA Firecracker 4 minute on Saturday July 26th.

local-pick up only: I have two wings and two fuselages ready to go if you need them. Wings are $10 each and Fuselage is $5 each. Limit of one each per customer.

At this race we will have a Novice and Advanced class for two and three cell Blue Ray races.

We will also have a Run-What-You-Brung electric race with two classes. One class will consist only of flat foam airplanes that must have a flat panel wing and flat foam fuselage. The other class will consist of built-up wood or shaped foam airplanes. Ducted fans are allowed in this class.

Please help spread the word and come out to race!

Registration starts at 9:30am, pilotís meeting at 10:00am, and the first heat race will begin at 10:30am. Food and drinks will be available. Bring pop-ups and chairs. Entry fee is $10. AMA membership is required.

Tim Batt
Old 07-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #44
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default First Annual Firecracker 4-Minute is history! and Fun!

Well, the Firecracker 4-minute 2008 is history! Tim hopes to make it an annual event.

We had 8 entrants. That's double what we had at our first race. If we double participation every time, then the sky's the limit! All had Blue Rays, plus a few brought Run What You Brungs to make it interesting. On the 200 feet apart pylons, the 3s Blue Ray was the clear speed and quickness winner in all classes. Well Duh!

The RCRC Guys went home talking about having a race or even two there yet this season if they can just work it into the busy club schedule. We'll bring our clipboards, our pylons, and our enthusiasm! Oh, yes, our planes!

We had about an hour rain break mid-day. Showed me how many close friends I really have when it comes time to share my pop-up in a driving rainstorm!

Unfortunately my built the night-before and maidened in the first heat race Blue Ray took several heats to dial-in, and I really think something was wrong with it besides the loose pilot nut. Unfortunately it got strained thru a tree, obliterating the evidence. Fortunately it was a low tree just inside the Black Poison Ivy and Ticks Forest. So with a long PVC pole and some luck, I got all my gear back.

And the wet weather ... Slosh! standing water in the grass, and barefoot people all over after the rain! Call it Woodstock without the music, the drugs, and the Love! ... weakened the Scotch tape hinging the ailerons of my Outrage. So at any speed, it would only roll left. What an exciting heat that was. Fortunately I was somehow able to loiter during the race high-lefting to the amazement of the crowd (What's Wrong with That Guy!?) and to bring it back down safely to fix and to fly another day. Now I wonder why I did not try using the barn-door rudder to turn it, but my left hand is pretty dumb so far!

You who were not there missed quite a day of sun, rain, sloshing, and flying!
Jim

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	concessions_and_waiting_.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	73847   Click image for larger version

Name:	entrants_with_planes_.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	73848   Click image for larger version

Name:	launching_.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	73849   Click image for larger version

Name:	racing_a_.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	73850   Click image for larger version

Name:	waiting_for_rain_to_end_.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	73851  

Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #45
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (15)
Thumbs up Greetings from Tallahassee

Jim,

I've enjoyed following ya'll's progress with the Blue Ray. I had downloaded the plans a while back but didn't have any blucor at the time. I've since bought a bundle of "Dow Protection Board III" from Home Depot for another project and then remembered the Blue Ray. I've started a build and will let you know how it goes. At the moment I'm planning on powering it with a TowerPro 2410-9T because I happen to have one lying around. It will probably be pretty tame with the low Kv motor but it's a place to start and I don't have to buy anything!

I have family in the Madison and Decatur area and visit there occasionally.

Good luck and thanks for the on-going updates!

I'll let you know how it goes with my Blue Ray.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #46
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Hey there MustangMan!

Thanks for dropping in.

Let me know when you are heading our way, and I'd love to meet you, perhaps to fly while you are here.

There was some talk during the Firecracker of having another or perhaps several additional races this season at RCRC before the NARCA Fall Finale in November. I've heard nothing further on that, nor did I get the guys' emails. I gave them mine, but have not heard anything back. I've learned along the way that pylon racers may tend to be more of a bunch of individuals who get together to race occasionally rather than a closely-knit, highly-communicative group.

Jim
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #47
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Jim,

Thanks for the invite. I always enjoy meeting other flyers, especially electric. I'll let you know when I expect to be in the area.

It sounds like I'll fit right in with the pylon racer crowd. This is my 3rd post on WattFlyer in 3 years!

I've got the wing assembled but haven't cut the ailerons yet. Fuselage is basically assembled. Firewall is in place and ready for the motor mount. I still need to hinge the elevator, mount its servo and connecting linkage. I'm a little surprised at the small size of the elevator but I guess I'll try it as drawn, at least initially. I'm planning to install the elevator servo inside, with all linkage inside, then add the turtle deck and vertical fin. I'm thinking of using torque rods, perhaps carbon fiber, to the ailerons so I can keep the aileron servos and linkage inside as well. I'm working on a scheme to mount the wing without the external rubber and pegs. All in an effort to clean up the aerodynamics. It is suppose to be a RACER after all!

Richard

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BlueRayBuild.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	76699  
Old 08-30-2008, 12:00 AM   #48
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default Blue Ray is a disposable airframe, especially the fuselage

Hey there Richard the MustangMan:

Build it however you like, it's your plane!

The Blue Ray, as designed and typically built, is not clean aerodynamically and it won't set any world speed records, well Duh! But with the specified motor and prop, it's fun and quick around the 200 foot pylons.

The basic design idea was to come up with a very inexpensive, light-weight, quick to build, one-design, good-enough racer. I put a lot of mental energy and time into building several of them.

What I learned from my flying thereof was that the BR is a disposable plane, especially the fuselage. One good mid-air or ground hit and the Bluecor gets spongy. The effort to repair it often exceeds the effort to cut and hot glue together a whole new one. Plus repairs make it heavier, reducing the performance.

So please understand that whatever you do, do it because you want to, not necessarily that it will set any records. Have Fun!

Or to put it another way, I'd suggest putting your extra time into building two fuselages at a time, flying both, and having a spare for race day.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blue_ray_2_rip_.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	76721  
Old 08-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #49
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback.

Jim,

I understand the goals of the design.

I'm making my changes more as an exploration of ideas than to try to squeeze every last Km/h out of the airframe. It always bugs me just a bit to have control linkages hanging outside the airframe. I doubt they're that significant aerodynamically at the speeds we're flying at but they just bug me! I've only flown ARF's, built pretty much stock. This is my first built-from-plans plane. I really appreciate the simplicity of the design and low materials cost. I'm using foam-safe CA and the glue costs more than the foam! I'm using the CA on the BR for a slightly lower weight though I'm not sure there will be much real difference compared to a careful hot glue build.

I'm currently flying a SuperFly EPP delta wing assembled with hot glue. The durability of the EPP is astounding. I've smacked it pretty hard several times, pushing the bounds of my skills, and the worst took 10 minutes to repair with hot glue! Knowing that repairs, if needed at all, won't take hours is very liberating at the field!

I have a co-worker who's only owned and flown a slow stick interested in a BlueRay. I'm sure it will be a lot quicker than he's used to. I may set him up on a buddy box to get him started. I offered to give him the foam and even build the wing for him. I've got to get SOMEONE to race against!

Thanks again,
Richard
Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #50
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

Default November 15 electric pylon race at NARCA

It's just over a month yet till the season-ender Saturday November 15 electric pylon race at NARCA Epps Field. We'll have the same classes and such as for the Firecracker, just no 4-minute mains planned.

Get your Blue Rays and other Run What You Brung electric racers ready and see you there!

Jim

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes