Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

HZ Super Cub Battery? charging funny?

Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

Default HZ Super Cub Battery? charging funny?

I just put the stock battery into my super cub to discharge it so I could charge it nice and full for tonight... Well, it was already discharged almost 100% from last night, I go and plug it into the wall outlet charger from HZ for the cub, and it blinks for a few mins red charging. Then about 2 mins, it's fully red.. Whuts the deal? Should I just let it charge for about 2 hrs and it'll still charge full or?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:26 AM
ORD2FRA

I did this to discharge (and break in the motor): Turn on the tx, plug in the battery, and run it al idle (just enough to keep the prop turning smoothly, about 20% throttle).

Wait until it dies, and then charge. Worked for me.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:05 AM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

That's how the battery is now tho, it's 100% dead
Old 01-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

You may have gotten a defective battery. Do you have a voltmeter? Can you check the voltage of the pack?

What do the instructions say about how the charger should behave? Maybe blinking for the first two minutes is okay, then it's supposed to go solid for a while.

One thing, don't use the flight battery to break in a motor. Use a standard D flashlight battery connected directly to the motor. Breakin isn't absolutely necessary on these motors, though.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:33 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Try charging it in your car using the included DC charger with it set to "1.0". Sometimes I notice the HZ chargers glitch and think it's got a full charge when it doesn't, especially when the connections aren't good between the battery and charger (even though it's plugged in all the ways, the pins on the included connectors don't always make good contact, which is why a lot of folks cut off the included white connectors and switch over to something like Deans Ultra Plugs).
Old 01-21-2007, 01:14 AM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

I tried the car charger awhile back also, no good...
( I had batteries mixed up, this wasn't the battery I was using to fly with this was a battery I had already tho )

whut should I set the multi meter on and whut should it read if its a good battery?