Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Esky 6 Belt-CP vs Heli-Max Axe CP-L (for beginner)

Old 01-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Jdogg

Question Esky 6 Belt-CP vs Heli-Max Axe CP-L (for beginner)

Hi there everyone,
I have been perusing your forums the past few days trying to decide which heli to buy.
My max price is $300 (RTF).
Actually I would prefer $200 and then the extra $100 is for when I break something.

I recently got hooked by this hobby when my Mom bought me a Megatech Housefly 2 for my birthday. She paid $300 for it, and it was really cheap... especially the landing gear and body.
I was able to hover outside after trimming it quite a bit, and like an idiot I let my neighbor's kid try it (he's 12). He flies rc planes so I thought it would be OK.
<drumroll please>
DISASTER
He skipped right over hovering and took off away from the grass and over the street, then let go of the throttle, plummeting it to the ground and breaking it in eight places.
I was heartbroken... I got to fly my heli for 10 minutes.

So being the tinkerer that I am, I broke out the glue and the toolkit and surveyed the damage, and gasped. Luckily, the overpriced place she bought it from has a great return policy. They agreed to take it back and give her a refund.

So now I want a new heli, one with a security alarm that repels neighbor's kids , and more importantly high quality.
I love the aluminum booms and aluminum skids... they look very sturdy.
After hours of research, here is my two possibles:
Esky Belt-CP, brushless, with one motor:
AND
Heli-Max Axe CP-L - two motors, but doesn't say anything about brushes (I hear that brushless is better):

Let me know what suggestions you all have.
Thanks much!!
-Jdogg
Old 01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
dizzymarkus

The main difference in the two is the sturdyness of them -- IMHO the axe is a better deal as its much more sturdier built than the cp. Expspecially in the landing gear section.

Heres a thrid option for you and way better -- again IMHO

The HoneyBeeKing2

Its sturdy, with a belt driven tail for roughly 130 plus shipping and its all over the net.
Heres one of them :
http://www.xheli.com/20newes6chho1.html and is RTF

belt driven tails are the way to go my friend so please look into this abit farther.

Markus
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Jdogg

Thanks Markus!
You make good points. I actually ended up going for the counter-rotating rotor design since I am a beginner.
I went with the Walkera 5#10 all metal heli:
http://www.bananahobby.com/1494.html

It is pretty reasonably priced, and I figure I can learn on this one and then move up later to a belt driven, single rotor heli such as the HoneyBeeKing2.

I am supposed to receive the Walkera via UPS tomorrow... I can't wait!!!!

Thanks again,
Jdogg