RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FrSky X4R SB (S Bus)

Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Default FrSky X4R SB (S Bus)

Well you never stop learning.
When FrSky bought out the 3/16 Ch X4R receiver I couldn't get it in my head why a 3 Ch Rx? Why, when there was a very capable D4R-II Rx that I had several of and used them on quads and gliders and other things.
They were capable of showing GPS on my TX etc.
So why a new 3Ch Rx?
There was a 6 Ch SBus RX and a 8 CH Sbus RX so why a 3 CH? (whatever this SBus was)

What I hadn't realized was that technology had caught up in other devices such as Gyros and Quad Flight Controllers etc.
When you start looking around, more and more accessories have an SBus Port.

There was only seemingly old info on you tube etc which can be very misleading talking about SBus Inverters etc. I imagined having to buy SBus servos and programmers and inverters and hubs and spending lots of dough to get any benefit from this new fangled Sbus thing.
But, I was wrong, so wrong.

What I hadn't realised was that a lot of that information had long expired and SBus Inverters are no longer needed for the current equipment. (My Taranis anyway)

My A3 Gyros have an SBus/Gain Port. If using the A3 with a normal receiver the Port can be used to adjust the gyro gain depending on flying conditions.

I plugged in the X4R Receiver and pushed the button on the Gyro telling it that I had an SBus Receiver and .. wahlaaa. The Gain port was now dedicated to the SBus Rx and information to the Gyro came from one wire from the Receiver instead of the 5 wires I had.

So my RX now had 2 wires (throttle and SBus) and my Gyro now had 4 wires instead of 8. (rudder,elevator aileron and SBus)

So one wire from the RX controls, Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder , Gyro Gain, and the 3 Modes.

I only have myself to blame for being so negative about SBus in the first place and I think this is due mainly to the old information that lingers forever on You Tube and other websites and also from some forums where a lot of mis-information can be imposed on unsuspecting bods like me.

Then I noticed on one of my Quads that there is a SBus Port on my QQ Super Flight Controller. Maybe I can adjust my Gain from the TX on that as well. I have yet to find out that one.

Anyway I hope this info helps some other old codger like me (or maybe a youngker) and they look at SBus in a different light.

As for me, In the past 2 days I have sold three 'old hat' D4R-II Rxs and a V8FR-II as well.

Guess what I have ordered??
And of course another benefit of this is that I have more model matched receivers. Can't go wrong there....

Last edited by Panther; 05-28-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:40 AM
arizona98tj

You are right....and at the rate technology can change, it doesn't take long before "helpful info" becomes quite dated. Thanks for sharing your SBus story. it is a perfect example. I have a Taranis and couldn't be happier with it. It brings a whole new level to the tech aspect of the hobby, IMO.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:59 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

arizona98tj Thanks for the comment. My mate and I have discovered another Stabilizer with SBus on it. We ordered one each and it will be here Monday. We have no idea what it is like as it is a new release, but we are going to find out...
Old 05-29-2016, 05:11 AM
arizona98tj

Looking forward to your impressions regarding the new stabilizer.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:20 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

I don't expect too much at the price. Hope it has remote gain at least.
http://www.porcupinerc.com/Volantex-...zer_p_963.html

Nice plastic box at anyway....
Old 05-29-2016, 04:54 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

I love sbus on my quads. I like to think of it like the lord of the rings, one wire to control them all. My cc3d boards all have sbus. One connection from the receiver to the board. Couldnt be easier and cleaner.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:27 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

I replaced a FC on one of my quads with a QQ Super which has sBus on it but I haven't tried it yet. (The sbus)
I was going to put a SBus RX on it but then I pinched 2 motors off it for a twin motor project.
I'll have to put 2 motors back on it to sell it now.

Here is where my quad motors went.