Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Shopping for online vendors

Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 PM
megajon

Default Shopping for online vendors

I get very nervous looking for online shops for products that cost more than a few dollars - like airplanes. I have been using Hobby Zone exclusively becuase my first experience with them was so good (Champ) and have been afraid to try anyone else. I will probably buy my next plane from Mountain Models becuaes I want to build one and they have a very good repuation here.

My question comes from the recent discussion about Bananna Hobby - a company that I avoid even in search results - becuase I've never heard good about them until the recent post. Have they improved? Is it worthwhile to shop them? Also - I read some negative about Nitroplanes and their "cheap flimsy products" but I also read here about folks who are very happy with them. Is Nitro a good company to deal with? Some of their models look like a great way to get into a certain airframe without breaking the bank compared to more scale/better looking versions, specifically thinking about the B-25. Horizon looks good but I haven't shopped them and their prices are so close to Hobby Zone I haven't "risked" them.

I agree that there are more likely going to be negative posts than positive and I'm just as suspicious of "this is the greatest site ever" posts as I am of the "these guys are crooks." How do you all decide when to try someone new?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 PM
zzlentz

I have had great dealings with Nitroplanes,Raidentech and Hobbytron.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Hobby Zone has a good reputation although I have not dealt with them personally.
Horizon Hobby has been very good in any dealings I have had with them and gets excellent reviews, as does Heads Up RC.
Take a look at the company support forums forums and company discussion thread. As you say people may be more prone to post bad experiences, but if a copmpany has a lot of people saying good things, that should tell you something also.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Top rated with fantastic customer support: Hobby Zone, Horizon Hobby, Tower Hobbies.
Stay here for beginners (Parkzone planes are top knotch).

2nd tier retailers with not to many complaints (dont order anything that isn't in stock): Hobby King, Nitro planes, RaidenTech, Grayson Hobby, Hobbypartz, Dymond RC

Stay the F away from: Banana Hobby, EasyTiger Models. (these two specialize in selling JUNK that LOOKS COOL)

My standard recomendation is Buy the best Transmitter and battery charger you can afford.

I won't recommend a transmitter, but for chargers, I only recommend 1 brand: Cellpro by FMA.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

http://www.rcslot.com for great service and cheap replacement parts for Parkzone and Hobbyzone planes. Love those guys.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I have had great service with nitroplanes, horiz hobby and heads up
Just recently discovered rcslot.com about a month ago Extremely Fast shipping, fast reply to email questions and they send you coupons to continue your addiction!!!

have a good one
cr

the one prob with np is low stock and slow backorders.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:59 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by megajon View Post
I get very nervous looking for online shops for products that cost more than a few dollars - like airplanes. I have been using Hobby Zone exclusively becuase my first experience with them was so good (Champ) and have been afraid to try anyone else. I will probably buy my next plane from Mountain Models becuaes I want to build one and they have a very good repuation here.

My question comes from the recent discussion about Bananna Hobby - a company that I avoid even in search results - becuase I've never heard good about them until the recent post. Have they improved? Is it worthwhile to shop them? Also - I read some negative about Nitroplanes and their "cheap flimsy products" but I also read here about folks who are very happy with them. Is Nitro a good company to deal with? Some of their models look like a great way to get into a certain airframe without breaking the bank compared to more scale/better looking versions, specifically thinking about the B-25. Horizon looks good but I haven't shopped them and their prices are so close to Hobby Zone I haven't "risked" them.

I agree that there are more likely going to be negative posts than positive and I'm just as suspicious of "this is the greatest site ever" posts as I am of the "these guys are crooks." How do you all decide when to try someone new?
Can't go wrong with the Spektrum radios. Last fall a member of another club came to our club fun fly, and was flying a $1000 model with the bottom of the line Spektrum 2.4 Ghz microwave transmitter and receiver that he paid $100 for, brand new.

Thought he was nuts, but the plane flew well, and flew often with that radio. Just about everyone in my local club that has gone to 2.4 Ghz have purchased the Spektrum/JR radios.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:44 AM
fmw

I spend about 70% of my RC money at advantage hobby dot com and have for a couple of years. Motors, ESC's and servos come from RC Dude dot com and I buy batteries from Hobby King dot com. I haven't found the need to shop anywhere else.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

I have had excellent results from toysonics.com headsuprc.com allerc.com toddsmodels.com nitroplanes.com hobbypartz.com towerhobbies.com

Stay away from easytiger and banana hobby.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Top endorsements for:

www.towerhobbies.com
www.horizonhobby.com
www.hobby-lobby.com
www.hobbypeople.com

After that they suppliers I deal with get more specific. Like www.fmadirect.com , www.mountainmodels.com , www.kennedycomposites.com , www.skybench.com and www.soaringusa.com
Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 AM
jrflyboyVP2
jr

I have had great results and prices from Heads up RC and Value Hobby. Ok from Nitro planes, Amain hobbies, horizon. Nothing but trouble from Bananna Hobby no support, and no spare parts available. Will never buy from them again.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 AM
Voltron

Heads Up RC is my favorite for good prices, low shipping charges, speedy delivery and awesome customer service.

BP Hobbies is another one I like. Its my second favorite.

After that, Its Tower Hobbies. They have almost everything you can think of and have good service but prices are somewhat high and the shipping charges are not good in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:14 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I just got a box of parts from heads up today. Fast shipping, no need to rush it. I usually get my order from florida to utah in my hands in 2 days. Filled my cart up Thursday night\Friday morning, had it in my hands Monday. Would have been before noon if my regular mail guy was here today.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Flywhat2
One hitch AE1 -- USN

Kits to build, I have built several from Mountain Models and Stevens Aero. They are very well designed and cut. The parts ALL FIT. Service is quick too. Bought replacement fuse for parkzone Decathlon from Red Rocket Hobbies. E-mail questions answered promptly and parts shipped likewise.
I have bought some from Heads Up RC and got quick service. Flat rate shipping except for plane kits is $2.

Best of luck and have Fun!!, Fly